CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 07-27-2011, 10:05 AM   #81
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:
Re: Gillian Mounsey Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Denofa View Post
Alright guys I get it CrossFit is dangerous. Far more dangerous than playing football or basketball, or soccer. There are never injuries in any of those sports.....
Those are not things done primarily in the name of health, however, so I'm not sure comparing injury rates across these activities and CrossFit makes much sense here, IMO.

Quote:
High reps box jumps are irresponsibly dangerous, so are high rep olympic lifts, which is why Chris Spealler is in the sad physical state that he is in right now.
Spealler is exceptional. He is also very young!! I think he has excellent chances of winning the 2011 Gyames. Spealler aside, I'm wondering.. how is the first person who ever did CrossFit doing? That would logically be good evidence of long-term effects (the longest!) of the effectiveness of the program.

Justin

Old 07-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #82
Greg Pellegrini

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Z. Smith View Post
He came back only with the skills of Mr. Myagi!

Justin
A pupil is only as good as his master

Old 07-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #83
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Alright guys I get it CrossFit is dangerous. Far more dangerous than playing football or basketball, or soccer. There are never injuries in any of those sports.....
Terrible comparison. Those are sports not done for health. CF is exercising that's supposed to help your health.

Quote:
High reps box jumps are irresponsibly dangerous, so are high rep olympic lifts, which is why Chris Spealler is in the sad physical state that he is in right now. You guys are right: I should stop doing all this dangeorus stuff because I am just asking for injuries. Maybe I should just take up Chess instead.
Oh so because one guy isn't hurt then we should ignore all the people that are hurt. Right gotcha.....how are things in fantasy land anyway?

Quote:
CrossFit used to be Greg Glassman, aka coach. Now people refer to it as this corporate giant so it is easier to dump on. Do you know why Greg Glassman started his rinky dink website 10 years ago? To make money and share his passion with the world. Now he is doing both of those thing quite succesfully and lots of people are ****ed off about it.
I think I'm a tool and have had an irrational grudge against Coach since the beginning.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:14 AM   #84
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Quote:
how is the first person who ever did CrossFit doing? That would logically be good evidence of long-term effects (the longest!) of the effectiveness of the program.
Justin
First person evarrr is hard to identify. There was a video with Greg Amundson recently talking about reaching his 10-year milestone and still improving, and injury-free the whole time, and only having taken a week off from keeping score once the whole time.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:16 AM   #85
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Football last season went back and made changes to the way the guys could tackle each other so as to avoid head on collisions. Has CF ever gone back and said "this is dumb, we shouldn't be doing it"? Not to my knowledge, instead they simply say "we don't want you in our ranks".

Quote:
High reps box jumps are irresponsibly dangerous, so are high rep olympic lifts, which is why Chris Spealler is in the sad physical state that he is in right now. You guys are right: I should stop doing all this dangeorus stuff because I am just asking for injuries. Maybe I should just take up Chess instead.
Or maybe you should plan your wods without the use of those types of movements that YEARS of sports science have taught us have more risk than value. Oh but that's right, you probally think that "Exercise science is a myth if seen as other than a nascent science yet to make a significant contribution to human performance." Sorry, we can just agree to disagree.

Quote:
CrossFit used to be Greg Glassman, aka coach. Now people refer to it as this corporate giant so it is easier to dump on. Do you know why Greg Glassman started his rinky dink website 10 years ago? To make money and share his passion with the world. Now he is doing both of those thing quite succesfully and lots of people are ****ed off about it.
It has ALWAYS been about the business. Rather it was back during the first cert, or whatever, it was a way for him to support himself and then wife. Now is no different, it's still about making a living. Hence why there has ALWAYS been an affiliate fee and why it has continued to go up. Make no bones about it, I'm not dogging him for this, heck I wish I would have thought of it first!!

Last edited by Andrew Bell; 07-27-2011 at 10:19 AM..

Old 07-27-2011, 10:37 AM   #86
Jim Denofa

Profile:

Quote:
Those are not things done primarily in the name of health, however, so I'm not sure comparing injury rates across these activities and CrossFit makes much sense here, IMO.

Spealler is exceptional. He is also very young!! I think he has excellent chances of winning the 2011 Gyames. Spealler aside, I'm wondering.. how is the first person who ever did CrossFit doing? That would logically be good evidence of long-term effects (the longest!) of the effectiveness of the program.

Justin
Annie Sakamoto, Greg Amundsen, Nicole Carol. Spealer is in his 30's, so am I, if that is very young than thank you.

Last edited by Jim Denofa; 07-27-2011 at 10:40 AM..

Old 07-27-2011, 10:42 AM   #87
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
Terrible comparison. Those are sports not done for health.
Professional sports may not be done for health, but the vast majority of people who participate in sports at the rec level would say that they participate in sports to stay healthy (and it's fun). Valid comparison, IMO.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #88
Jim Denofa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
Terrible comparison. Those are sports not done for health. CF is exercising that's supposed to help your health.

Oh so because one guy isn't hurt then we should ignore all the people that are hurt. Right gotcha.....how are things in fantasy land anyway?

I think there have been people that have disliked Couch since the beginning.
So the 60 year old guys playing basketball at the YMCA are not doing it for health. Then why are they doing it?

I am not hurt. So maybe there are two guys in my "fantasy land."

Old 07-27-2011, 11:03 AM   #89
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Quote:
b
COLOR="Red"]CrossFit does not make people hurt themselves, people hurt themselves by their own actions. [/COLOR]
I got into strength-and-conditioning through Crossfit. Probably like a lot of people here.

When I started, I didn't know crap about S&C. I didn't know crap about good form, or proper programming. To put my lack of knowledge in perspective, I'd done some triathlons in high school because I wanted to be strong enough to be able to do a pull-up, and I thought fit, strong people did triathlons. After that I was completely sedentary and basically stayed that way up until late college, a few months prior to CF, when I started on a basic bis-and-tris program. However, I didn't see myself getting stronger, so I started to research "functional" methods or something like that, and Crossfit came up.

I read through the website and the journal articles, watched the videos, read the scaling, and given the authoritative tone of the presenters, the fit-looking people doing athletic-looking stuff on the website, the supposed number of people doing this, and yes, the underdog-it's-me-against-the-scientists attitude of Glassman and Crossfit I thought this was exactly what I was looking for. After all, there were so many routines in fitness magazines that seemed to get people nowhere, here was clearly a routine that was getting people somewhere!

It was totally different from any workout I'd ever seen, the concept of "functional movements" made sense to me, and I didn't really understand why you couldn't get better at everything at once. Coming from an academic context, I could learn a lot of different subjects at once by studying a little bit of each, so why couldn't I do the same with fitness? It would totally work! And look at those people doing the stuff on the website! They're doing it!

I even believed the bit about Crossfit being better for bodybuilding, because there was so much confidence and scientific jargon used I was sure they knew what they were talking about. I'm not a stupid person. But this was an area where I was so utterly ignorant that it was incredibly easy to take at face value the information presented in the manner Crossfit presents it.

Scaling? I followed the Brand-X scaling. But I assumed that if I could hit a weight--even if it would be something like doing 90% of my 1RM for reps--I should try, because you're supposed to try as hard as possible in CF and I assumed they picked those weights for a reason.

I am so lucky I couldn't afford to go to an affiliate, I'm so lucky I was never regular about working out with Crossfit on my own, I'm so lucky I found the Olympic weightlifting club I did and turned to that instead of continuing to try to Crossfit. Because if I'd continued to Crossfit, if I'd ended up at an affiliate with a bad trainer, I'd probably still be trying to do mainsite WODs and have been injured or worse.

So yes, if I'd been injured, it would have been because of things I voluntarily did. But all of the knowledge I'd used up to that point to gauge whether a workout was a good choice, whether my form was decent, whether I should stop or keep going, would have been information gleaned directly from Crossfit. When I started CF I trusted and believed the information on the website wouldn't steer me wrong. Is that my fault? For wanting to be fit and trusting this place could tell me how?

I don't think my experience is so singular, either. There are many people who come to Crossfit from little to no athletic background--or if they have a background, it involved little form coaching or technical knowledge about exercise science and programming. When I get ****ed at Crossfit, it's because these are the people being injured, people did everything Crossfit and their trainers said to do and got injured because of fundamental flaws in the system itself.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #90
Jim Denofa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
I got into strength-and-conditioning through Crossfit. Probably like a lot of people here.

When I started, I didn't know crap about S&C. I didn't know crap about good form, or proper programming. To put my lack of knowledge in perspective, I'd done some triathlons in high school because I wanted to be strong enough to be able to do a pull-up, and I thought fit, strong people did triathlons. After that I was completely sedentary and basically stayed that way up until late college, a few months prior to CF, when I started on a basic bis-and-tris program. However, I didn't see myself getting stronger, so I started to research "functional" methods or something like that, and Crossfit came up.

I read through the website and the journal articles, watched the videos, read the scaling, and given the authoritative tone of the presenters, the fit-looking people doing athletic-looking stuff on the website, the supposed number of people doing this, and yes, the underdog-it's-me-against-the-scientists attitude of Glassman and Crossfit I thought this was exactly what I was looking for. After all, there were so many routines in fitness magazines that seemed to get people nowhere, here was clearly a routine that was getting people somewhere!

It was totally different from any workout I'd ever seen, the concept of "functional movements" made sense to me, and I didn't really understand why you couldn't get better at everything at once. Coming from an academic context, I could learn a lot of different subjects at once by studying a little bit of each, so why couldn't I do the same with fitness? It would totally work! And look at those people doing the stuff on the website! They're doing it!

I even believed the bit about Crossfit being better for bodybuilding, because there was so much confidence and scientific jargon used I was sure they knew what they were talking about. I'm not a stupid person. But this was an area where I was so utterly ignorant that it was incredibly easy to take at face value the information presented in the manner Crossfit presents it.

Scaling? I followed the Brand-X scaling. But I assumed that if I could hit a weight--even if it would be something like doing 90% of my 1RM for reps--I should try, because you're supposed to try as hard as possible in CF and I assumed they picked those weights for a reason.

I am so lucky I couldn't afford to go to an affiliate, I'm so lucky I was never regular about working out with Crossfit on my own, I'm so lucky I found the Olympic weightlifting club I did and turned to that instead of continuing to try to Crossfit. Because if I'd continued to Crossfit, if I'd ended up at an affiliate with a bad trainer, I'd probably still be trying to do mainsite WODs and have been injured or worse.

So yes, if I'd been injured, it would have been because of things I voluntarily did. But all of the knowledge I'd used up to that point to gauge whether a workout was a good choice, whether my form was decent, whether I should stop or keep going, would have been information gleaned directly from Crossfit. When I started CF I trusted and believed the information on the website wouldn't steer me wrong. Is that my fault? For wanting to be fit and trusting this place could tell me how?

I don't think my experience is so singular, either. There are many people who come to Crossfit from little to no athletic background--or if they have a background, it involved little form coaching or technical knowledge about exercise science and programming. When I get ****ed at Crossfit, it's because these are the people being injured, people did everything Crossfit and their trainers said to do and got injured because of fundamental flaws in the system itself.
Has their ever been an injury at the gym you train at? I already know the answer. Is it because Olymipc lifting is bad for you? No.

I guess I have always just had the ability to think for myself and I figured that most other adults do too. Aparently that is not the case. I think because Coach Glassman is out of the mainsite scene alot of his ideals have gotten muddled through interpretations of individuals on message boards and the like.