CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-04-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
Lachlan Maxwell

Profile:
Hanging rings from cathedral ceiling

I've read the general advice on how to hang rings that I could find in other threads, such as not drilling holes in the trusses, etc. None of them described specifically dealing with cathedral ceilings though, which I'm hoping isn't simply because hanging rings from cathedral ceilings == dumb.

Given that the ceiling is angled, I have to do something to keep from sliding down the truss and out the window when I kip...

My current plan is to use 1/2 inch x 4 inch screws (2 per truss) to attach a 2x6 to 3 trusses. The 2x6 will have heavy duty swing hardware bolted to it, which I'll hang the rings from. The swing hardware should take care of the angle from the ceiling.

Does this sound likely to achieve the dual goals of not pulling down my roof and not ripping out of the ceiling and killing me?

I'm 5'11, 175 lbs, so not tiny but not massive either.

Any advice or warnings before I start making a mess will be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:02 PM   #2
Karl Geissler

Profile:
Re: Hanging rings from cathedral ceiling

You might want to consider a clamp plate like this to provide some extra stability to the connection. You should be able to put a caribeener through it and then string your ring strap through.

(SFW) https://www.porterathletic.com/Product.aspx?ID=205
Old 06-05-2009, 06:36 AM   #3
Tirzah Harper

Profile:
Re: Hanging rings from cathedral ceiling

I'm looking at hanging rings from my cathedral ceiling, too. My plan (if I get approval from the other half of the Home Decor and Exercise Committee, who lucky for me uses the pullup bar in the living room more than I do) is to hang them perpendicular to the slope of the roof, across the span of two of the rafters. This way both rings will be hung from the same height and there will be no sliding/swinging issues (ever tried to swing on a swing that was hung from a tree branch that wasn't exactly horizontal? It doesn't work well).