CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-31-2009, 02:18 AM   #1
Nir Rosen

Profile:
crossfit and the elliptical machine

what do crossfitters think about elliptical machines, particularly of their use in tabata workouts?
Old 01-31-2009, 04:20 AM   #2
David Gray

Profile:
Re: CrossFit and the elliptical machine

I tried it once. The problem is that you can't slow the d**n thing down, so a 20/10 cycle just won't work. I changed to 30/30, which was better but hardly good, so I dumped it altogether. Good luck.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:35 AM   #3
George Mounce

Profile:

Tabata elliptical?

Sorry, but I'll be the first to say...do a real exercise.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:58 AM   #4
Shane Skowron

Profile:

I tried using one of those things for the 2nd mile of the Murph when someone took my treadmill. I did like 100 meters and gave up. Absolutely no athletic value to those things.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:28 AM   #5
Tom Girouard

Profile:

FWIW, I strained a hamstring in late Dec. doing 400M intervals,besides ice and rest, my wife suggested I try the elliptical. Having never used it and thinking it was for women and those who wanted to watch TV at the gym, I was skeptical. I was able to get a surpisingly good workout without aggravating the hammy. Win/win for me. As with most pieces of equipment, you get out of it what you put in. I think tabatas would be difficult for the reasons mentioned earlier, but you can get a challenging interval workout if you ramp up the intensity. Sorry, no TV watching allowed.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:31 AM   #6
Ed Haywood

Profile:

Like David said, it would be near impossible to do an effective Tabata elliptical, because of the speedup/slowdown on the machine.

Elliptical machines are useful for general warm up and cool down purposes, because they are so low impact. Sometimes I'll do 5 or 10 minutes prior to starting my CFWU, just to get the blood flowing and get limbered up a bit. Though lately I've been using the rower and jump rope more for that.

If I want to burn some extra calories after a crossfit workout, or stay loose on a rest day, I'll sometimes do 30 minutes or so on an elliptical trainer. Most people set the resistance too low and are just 'riding' the machine. Crank the resistance up to near the maximum setting so you have to actually put some muscle into it. For me, a setting of 18/20 keeps my HR at about 140.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:41 AM   #7
Stuart Buck

Profile:

I've done Tabata on my wife's elliptical, just because it was really cold out and I was at home. Yes, it's a bit hard to stop for the 10 second rest periods (I just didn't start up any of the "programs" that keep the machine going).

But I'll say this: it made my quads hurt worse than any other exercise I've ever done (and that includes all of the Crossfit workouts, front squats, etc.). Afterwards, there was so much lactic acid in my quads that the skin felt like it was going to pop; it was too painful even to walk around, and I had to lie down for 10 minutes while rubbing my quads. So that was cool.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:40 PM   #8
Cheryl Schaan

Profile:

I hate the eliptical ... because i find it so damn hard
Old 01-31-2009, 05:49 PM   #9
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Girouard View Post
FWIW, I strained a hamstring in late Dec. doing 400M intervals,besides ice and rest, my wife suggested I try the elliptical. Having never used it and thinking it was for women and those who wanted to watch TV at the gym, I was skeptical. I was able to get a surpisingly good workout without aggravating the hammy. Win/win for me. As with most pieces of equipment, you get out of it what you put in. I think tabatas would be difficult for the reasons mentioned earlier, but you can get a challenging interval workout if you ramp up the intensity. Sorry, no TV watching allowed.
IT may have been a good workout for you while injured because it limited the range of motion, but this is exactly why it is generally not a good workout
Old 01-31-2009, 06:15 PM   #10
David Wood

Profile:

30/30 or 60/60 can be a decent workout, but it probably depends on the machine. If the machine allows you to adjust both "tension" and angle, then 60/60 is good. It may take 5 or even 10 seconds to make the transition from one level to the other, but that still gives you a nice long stretch of all-out effort (you *do* have the will to go all out, right?)

I've had a lot of shoulder issues over the year (going under the knife again in March) and this is one way to keep up while rehabbing.