CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 02:46 PM   #121
C James Barton

Profile:
Re: Don't believe in Paleo because...

Observed Speciation:
http://www.toarchive.org/faqs/faq-speciation.htmlPLEASE ENSURE YOU ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.
http://www.toarchive.org/faqs/speciation.htmlPLEASE ENSURE YOU ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

On macroevolution:
http://www.toarchive.org/faqs/comdesc/PLEASE ENSURE YOU ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

The talk.origins archivePLEASE ENSURE YOU ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE. is your friend.

Last edited by Lynne Pitts; 12-30-2008 at 06:11 PM..

Old 12-30-2008, 07:22 PM   #122
David Wood

Profile:

Folks, get this back to Nutrition as a subject or it moves to "Stuff and Nonsense", and then gets closed.

Debating evolution vs. creationism is essentially religous in character, and the proponents of creationism (and, sometimes, evolution) are (generally) utterly immune to logic and/or evidence. They have something more powerful ("faith").

Get the subject back on Nutrition, please, or it's gone.

AND MARK YOUR FREAKIN' LINKS AS SAFE (OR NOT), DAMNIT.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:57 PM   #123
Steven Low

Profile:

This thread is fail.

If you're Christian and don't agree with Paleo then don't agree with it. But at the very least you can recognize that processed foods are generally bad. This encompasses "most" of what Paleo is about I would say (arguable but it's a nice simplification). And if you want some justification for that you can say that man's foods (processed) are not better than natural foods (plants and animals) that God has made.

As far as non-Paleo non-processed foods... experiment with your body and see if they work well with it. If not, ditch them. If so, then keep them if you enjoy them. Simple. Everyone stays away from processed foods and eats well according to what their bodies handle well.

That was easy.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:04 PM   #124
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

This thread is a success, if of course your goal was to drag Steven out of CF board retirement.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:05 PM   #125
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
This thread is a success, if of course your goal was to drag Steven out of CF board retirement.
Haha... good point. Welcome back Steven, if only temporarily. You've been missed.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:44 PM   #126
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurene Grenier View Post
That is exactly not what I'm saying. What I AM saying is that I can construct a perfectly valid proof with non-veracious assumptions, thus being internally consistant and yet disjoint.

validity and veraciousness are seperate and distinct properties.

I am emphatically saying that logic and math CANNOT be otherwise. Thats what validity MEANS - that the structure and consistency of your argument are correct.
Sure. But nobody outside of philosophy (and maybe heavy absinthe drinkers) is usually very interested in valid but unsound proofs.

I haven't a clue what everyone else is going on about, though, and likewise doubt they're super intrigued by philosophy of logic, so this is probably something for PM if you want to continue it.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:18 AM   #127
David Reed

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Wolf View Post
Has anyone read the book Contact? The movie was pretty good, the book was phenomenal and really gets to the heart of this topic.
I have read a lot of Carl Sagan's non-fiction works, but not Contact. Now that you've said that I think I'll give it a try.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:40 AM   #128
Shawn Casey

Profile:

3-2-1 Contact? I used to love that show. Especially the bloodhound gang. I use to watch it on PBS right after sesame street and the electric company.

But seriously, Paleo rocks any way you look at it. Just make the transition and you'll feel the difference.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:29 AM   #129
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post

Thanks for stopping in Steven. It's like community service for you.... your posts have such valuable info in them, it's nice of you to share it with us.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:53 PM   #130
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Wow this quickly devolved into an evolution vs creationsim/ID discussion, which is pointless, no amount of "evidence" will convince the other side to change. If you don't like it being called a "paleolithic diet" call it a "Hunter-Gatherer diet" since most of the evidence to support the health claims of the diet are from ethnographic studies of modern hunter-gatherer societies which don't suffer from diabtes, heart disease, stroke, arthritis, and obesity to the rates that we currently do.

Closed Thread