CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-16-2013, 06:33 AM   #1
Charley Agen

Profile:
Crossfit and poor sleep

I LOVE working out, but over the past year plus I have had to cut back more and more on workouts due to ridiculously poor sleep. If I even workout semi-hard, I am sore and and drained for a few days. I had a sleep study done i n the past and it showed no sleep apnea or other physiologic issues. I eat really healthy and have been pretty strict- higher carb paleo now for about 6 months. My Dr. just offered me ambien (sleeping med) or trazdone (anti-depressent that it suppose to sig. help with sleep), but I am hesitant to take and have to rely on a med. Has anyone else had sleep issues? Do you feel especially worse days after a workout? What did you do to fix your sleep issue? Have you taken any meds? How did the meds affect your cognition/energy/workouts?
Old 05-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
Phil Washlow

Profile:
Re: Crossfit and poor sleep

I have had sleep issues my entire life, the best thing I have found is Melatonin. I take 3mg nightly about 30 min before I go to bed. Melatonin is a natural vitamin that our bodies create to prepare us for sleep. Artificial light and stress of the modern world can throw off our body's natural rhythm, this stuff helps tremendously. I do not have any trouble waking up or any other adverse side effects.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
Jay Gatsby

Profile:

Personally I would stay far away from anti-depressants or Ambien unless I had explored all other options. Would definitely give Melatonin supplementation a try first before going on serious prescription drugs.

I'm not an M.D. but maybe there are others on this forum who could weigh in. I'm sure a lot of other variables are at play here though, besides just working out - i.e., age, gender (as it relates to age, especially), lifestyle, family history.

What I've found personally is that in days after a workout, I just need MORE sleep. So sometimes I'll feel worse the next morning, but I am pretty sure it's cause perhaps I got 6-6.5 hours of sleep when I really could've used 8.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
Dave Hancock

Profile:

I used to have bad insomnia. I read that calcium and magnesium could help. I started taking a product called Natural calm. Powdered drink mix, add hot water, it fizzes for a few secs. Anytime I drink this before bed, I sleep well, and usually fall asleep quickly. I currently supplement magnesium and don't use Natural Calm as much. I still sleep well.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
Jay Gatsby

Profile:

A natural supplement I've used before is ZMA (zinc, magnesium, vitamin b-12). These 3 taken together shortly before bed always made me sleep very, very deeply.

One caveat is that they do have a side effect of causing extremely vivid, lifelike dream.s
Old 05-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
Nicholas DaSilva

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gatsby View Post
A natural supplement I've used before is ZMA (zinc, magnesium, vitamin b-12). These 3 taken together shortly before bed always made me sleep very, very deeply.

One caveat is that they do have a side effect of causing extremely vivid, lifelike dream.s

+1 On this one. Love the stuff but I have to be somewhat choosy when I use it and how my mind is at the time. I have had some effed up dreams on this.

- Nick
Old 05-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
Phil Washlow

Profile:

Nearly 90% of Americans are magnesium deficient, supplementing with it can definitely help your sleep. One caveat is that oral magnesium supplementation does not work particularly well. Magnesium is best absorbed transdermally either from an oil or a soak. I personally use an epsom salt foot bath a couple times a week and try to use the oil a few times a week as well. The oil can be purchased or made by using magnesium flakes and boiling water. Interestingly magnesium oil helps with my soreness if I put it on a muscles that has bad DOMS. My advice would be to do both magnesium oil and take melatonin.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Google Sleep Hygiene.
Make sure your stress is well managed.
Consider Yoga or a therapy that focuses on relaxation.

Make sure you are minimizing (avoiding would be best)stimulating agents--caffeine, weird pre-workouts, nicotine. Also avoid alcohol which can mess up your sleep cycle and neurological system.

Minimize electronic use before bed, no light in your room. Some people can't sleep well if they exercise too close to sleep.

If you work hard on these things and the supplements the others mentioned, but you still struggle then you should see someone who is an expert in sleep. I'm frustrated that your doc offered it right away as opposed to other methods first.

Sleep meds have good and bad things, and it is something to consider once you have tried other options.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #9
Phil Washlow

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
Google Sleep Hygiene.
Make sure your stress is well managed.
Consider Yoga or a therapy that focuses on relaxation.

Make sure you are minimizing (avoiding would be best)stimulating agents--caffeine, weird pre-workouts, nicotine. Also avoid alcohol which can mess up your sleep cycle and neurological system.

Minimize electronic use before bed, no light in your room. Some people can't sleep well if they exercise too close to sleep.

If you work hard on these things and the supplements the others mentioned, but you still struggle then you should see someone who is an expert in sleep. I'm frustrated that your doc offered it right away as opposed to other methods first.

Sleep meds have good and bad things, and it is something to consider once you have tried other options.
+1 on your doc offering you Ambien from the get go, that is a major flaw with our healthcare system, everything is fixed with a pill.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #10
Rick H Larson

Profile:

One thing most people don't realize with sleep is the human body doesn't believe in current 8 hours of work (often times more), 8 hours of whatever (if you’re lucky), 8 hours sleep pattern modern society puts on us. This cycle has been made for economic efficiency rather than the normal active/rest periods our body would normally do. If you look at kids and retired adults, they run around and do whatever until they are tired, then they rest (take a nap), and then get up and do whatever else. This is how the human body was meant to function. You see the same thing in nature. People often think there is an issue if they can't get the recommended 8 hours of sleep a night but really, we aren't meant to be stagnant that long in the first place. Granted, it's different for everybody. Some people can live off of 4 hours of sleep a day while other can't seem to function unless they are passed out for 12 hours at night.

From the time I was in high school to about a year after I finished college I was running on about 3 hours of sleep a night (on a good night…). This was even during vacations and such. I used to run a minimum of 5k a day during this time as well and never had an issue functioning. Every few months on a weekend I would completely pass out for 12 hours or so, haha. It really wasn't necessarily a choice; it's just how my body did its thing. These days with a loaded work schedule and plenty of the Outlaw Way each night I try to get more sleep and am semi-successful. Even though I'm in my bed roughly 7 hours a night I'm awake off and on the whole time. I likely get 6 hours of sleep on a good night and 5 hours on average. Honestly, more rest would be greatly beneficial to me but the body does what it wants. Might want to take that into consideration.