CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
Tim Cooper

Profile:
Progenex worth the price?

Ladies and Gents,

I've used many supplements in my day, and Ive paid pretty pennies for certain supplements that I KNOW were worth it. I'm a little skeptical about progenex because I havent seen or heard about its direct results.

Has anyone used progenex supplements?

What were your results?

Would you recommend them?

Were they worth the price?
Old 05-06-2013, 07:25 AM   #2
Jeff Railsback

Profile:
Re: Progenex worth the price?

Progenex is the best there is in the Crossfit world.........at marketing

There is nothing magical about their protien blend. You can get the same or better quality from other places for a 1/3 the cost. I know a lot if people on here, myself included, are fans of AtLarge Nutrition products. The owner, Chris Mason, is active on this board and is super helpful with any questions.

Progenex: $70 for 30 servings. $2.33 per serving
Nitrean+: $61 for 70 servings. $0.87 per serving

AtLarge runs sales and specials pretty often. There was a recent one that was 30% off and included some freebies as well.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:31 AM   #3
Nicholas DaSilva

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Railsback View Post

There is nothing magical about their protien blend. You can get the same or better quality from other places for a 1/3 the cost. I know a lot if people on here, myself included, are fans of AtLarge Nutrition products. The owner, Chris Mason, is active on this board and is super helpful with any questions.

AtLarge runs sales and specials pretty often. There was a recent one that was 30% off and included some freebies as well.

+1 ALN is the best kid on the block, IMO. Every which way you slice it Progenex does NOT seem worth it to me. Although I will say I've never tried it....but then again its too damned expensive to just outright try.

- Nick
Old 05-06-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
Adam Shreim

Profile:

+1 for ALN; My second choice is ON.

I tried Progenex for a while, infact - I was the type of person they market to. I saw them hand over Holmberg a $25,000 check and instantly supported them by buying some Recovery. It is okay, but after doing some serious research, Nitrean+ and Results combo contain EVERY SINGLE THING you need in two products that are much cheaper per scoop.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
Tim Cooper

Profile:

I really appreciate your help guys. You're right about the marketing. Theyre all over the boxlife magazine and they sell it at my old box and I was curious. Glad to know the competition is over paying.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
Mike Strickland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Railsback View Post

+1 for ALN here as well

Progenex wins in the taste department, but Nitrean+ gets you a better protein mix for cheaper and awesome customer service to boot.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
Robert Fontaine

Profile:

Real food is cheaper and better. Unless you are injecting a silly amount of anabolic steroids a healthy diet will provide all the protein availability for muscle repair/creation and optimal metabolic function.

On the other hand if you are injecting a gram of oil in your *** a day it might be tough to get enough protein within a reasonable calorie load. Of course you will likely have a bruised ***.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #8
Tim Cooper

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fontaine View Post
Real food is cheaper and better. Unless you are injecting a silly amount of anabolic steroids a healthy diet will provide all the protein availability for muscle repair/creation and optimal metabolic function.

On the other hand if you are injecting a gram of oil in your *** a day it might be tough to get enough protein within a reasonable calorie load. Of course you will likely have a bruised ***.
No anabolics here bub. Here's a great article I found about supplementation.

http://chriskresser.com/are-suppleme...ally-necessary (wfs)
Old 05-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #9
Chris Mason

Profile:

Actually, "real food" as you put it, is not necessarily cheaper.

I do agree and have said it a million times that protein supplements are simply supplements of convenience (with the one exception of a hypo-caloric diet where they can serve a very specific purpose of being a very low calorie way to ingest a quality complete protein) and food will serve just as well if you choose that route.

On the other hand, there ARE ergogens like creatine, Beta-Alanine, and citrulline malate etc. that you simply won't be able to ingest in ergogenic levels via only foods.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:45 AM   #10
PaulEwing

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fontaine View Post

Talk about a negative nancy. My protein comes out to about $1.75 per serving. If I mix it with 2 cups of milk and some oats, I have a solid meal with fairly balanced macros for about $2.50. That's cheaper and more convenient than "real food," brah.