CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-10-2013, 06:07 AM   #11
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: Eating Properly On Night Shift

People like you frustrate me because the answer is obvious, eat more... You don't have to "feel" like eating to eat. If more calories are required to reach your goal (and they are), then use the same discipline you use to train regularly to make yourself eat as you should. It's really that simple. All of the rest is just an excuse.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #12
Leroy Jett

Profile:

I would do what Chris says. Just rotate your schedule to what a normal one would be.

I work as the po-po from 1500-0000 so I know what you mean. I try not to eat a lot while in uniform for one I feel like crap with a full stomach cause of the vest squeezing me and two just feeling like crap while in uniform lol. I pack grilled chicken, sweet potatoes, fruit and sometimes we will go to the store that has a salad bar. Even if I'm not hungry I try to graze while I'm working just to keep food in me. Also I will go through about 48-60oz of water during a shift.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #13
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Can you eat more before and after your workout or are you doing fasted training?
Old 04-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #14
Richard Deyan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Szluka View Post
Hey all, I'm currently working the night shift as a police officer, 5 days a week, from midnight until 8AM. I'm finding it extremely difficult to eat properly on this schedule. During the night on shift, I just have no real desire to eat. About 6AM, I'll start to get hungry, so I might go grab a banana and plain bagel with some orange juice. Then when I get home at 830AM, I'll have a bowl of cereal in milk, some fresh fruit, and a Casein protein shake in whole milk. I sleep from 9AM until about 330PM, and I'll always wake up feeling awful.

That's only if I don't have court in the morning, which means I'll get home around noon, sleep until 530PM, then go to CF at 6 or 7PM. I usually CF 4-5 days a week in the evenings. I'll come home, eat a large dinner, then take a short nap before getting ready for shift.

Any ideas on how I can try to work my sleep schedule, eating, protein supplements, etc. so I can see some better gains? I'm currently 5'10", 155 lbs, with about 8% BF. My focus right now in CF is strength, strength, strength. I just don't feel like I'm taking in enough calories or protein to effectively build mass. I just can't get over how awful I feel at night on shift, and how I'm not hungry until about 6AM. It's hard to eat grilled chicken at 6-8AM, and I'm not a huge fan of eggs.

On my two days off I have no issues taking in 3500+ calories.

Thoughts? Anyone been successful in making large strength gains while working an awful schedule like this?
I did it all the time but I honestly didn't have a problem eating. Controlled Labs Black Hole. That will certainly help you eat, and eat a lot more.