CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-26-2006, 02:00 PM   #1
Thomas James

Profile:
I've been on the zone for about three months and have not cheated at all. Sunday I gorged myself on waffles with chocolate chips and syrup, oatmeal, cereal, fresh fruit, eggs and nuts. I felt like I was going to explode for about 4 hours afterwards. In the evening I had a 4 block zone meal and 1 block before bed. Monday I felt like a million bucks during my CF WOD. What does everyone think about this? Granted I'm down to about 150# and 8% BF from about 175# and 14% BF from mid May.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:21 PM   #2
Jesse Woody

Profile:
As it seems, intermittency is almost always a good thing. If you are following the Zone pretty strictly, you should have plenty of carbohydrates to refuel glycogen stores from day to day, so it's hard to imagine that you would be so depleted that you'd need a carb load-up day.

So, with that being said, how exactly have you been following the Zone? What is an average day like? What were the few days before the carb-load like?

There are a ton of factors that could play into this being successful, not the least of which is mental. Other than that, the only reason it seems like it would make a huge difference is if you were unknowingly going lean on the carbs and you WERE a bit depleated going into the weekend. Just my .02
Old 07-26-2006, 05:34 PM   #3
Clay Jones

Profile:

I think if following the Zone is important to you (3 months--that's great!) then going off the diet occasionally is no big deal. But like Jesse asks, what is your average day like?

Congrats on the fat loss, BTW.

Old 07-26-2006, 05:41 PM   #4
Guest2

Profile:

i would be cautious of attributing feeling great in training to waffle consumption - it's possible if you were low on glycogen, but it could be entirely coincidental too. if you start doing it every week and the same thing happens, then you're on to something.

also, judging by the amount of weight you lost, it sounds like you're pretty hypocaloric - the zone is low calorie to begin with, so you may have simply been underfed and the waffle adventure helped remedy that.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:21 PM   #5
Thomas James

Profile:
Gentlemen,
Thanks for the response. Typical day in the zone is 15 blocks (4-1-4-1-4-1). First meal is about 2 hours after I wake up (0800) followed by the WOD. Mostly veggies for my carbs (i.e. brocolli, 1/2 cup of salsa, asparugus, black beans, occasional yam). Low GI fruits have been limited to maybe 3 blocks a day. Fats are fish oil and raw almonds. Protein is canadian bacon, red meat, fish, egg subs, ground turkey and chicken. Every meal is calculated and measured. However, I've been feeling tired throughout the day as of late. I'm very lean, but have not lost strength or endurance in the gym. The response I experienced from the carb load could be from a lack of calories. Do you think I should lower the carb blocks and increase the fats and if so, How much should I decrease the carbs and increase fat?
Old 07-27-2006, 08:30 AM   #6
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Thomas:

I think you're starving yourself. You've dropped a huge amount of weight and body fat in a short time. I wouldn't push it. Let your body have time to catch up. I think your body is adapting to what it perceives as a famine in your environment and is reducing your metabolic rate, thereby making you tired. You say you still have the same endurance but that might be mind over matter. As soon as you pumped your muscles full of carbs and charged up your brain (which has high energy needs), your performance surged.

Be careful of body dysmorphia. At 150lbs and 8%BF (and assuming you're of average height), unless you want to be an Olympic coxswain or a jockey, I don't know why you need to reduce much more.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:54 AM   #7
Aidan O Brien

Profile:
I would see 8% bodyfat as being more than low enough. At that level you more than likely have some fantastic definition so there would be no need to go any lower.

That stage you need to enter into now is a bit more difficult. Give up the calorie defecit....and find a level that allows you to support performance , and to a smaller degree muscular size increases, but will not have you adding back on the adipose that you have lost.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:24 AM   #8
Joel Chapman

Profile:
Thomas,

I agree with others that you are underfed.

By my calculations:

175lbs @ 14% = 150.5lbs LBM and 24.5lbs FM

150lbs @ 8% = 138lbs LBM and 12lbs FM

This means you lost 12.5 pounds of lean body mass. Something isn't right. If your activity level is WOD only, then 15 blocks should have been enough to maintain lean body mass.

Some possible explanations could be: inaccurate measurement of body weight/body fat, activity level much higher than just WOD only, miscalculation of daily macronutrient portions, metabolic disorder, etc.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:28 PM   #9
Thomas James

Profile:
Gentlemen,
Thanks for the information. Now, how should I correct this. Should I multiply just the fat blocks by 2 or 3 and keep the protein and carbs at 4 blocks. Or should I increase the total number of blocks per day from 15 to 17 to start and see what happens. I'm sure my calculations were on the money when I started.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:45 PM   #10
Joel Chapman

Profile:
Thomas,

I'd go to 17 blocks and 2-3X fat right now and check body fat and weight in 1-2 weeks.