CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:41 PM   #11
Matt Thacker

Profile:
Re: How many garage gyms?

John,

We are loving our garage box..http://myspace.com/crossfithenderson

if you have a myspace account check out our pics. You can do alot with a little space.

We are not likely to make millions doing crossfit here but we are having fun and enjoing training 10-15 clients. We have handled groups as large as 8 or 9 with no problem. I am glad I don't have to pay anyone else rent while we are getting established.

Good Luck!

Matt
Old 12-26-2007, 12:20 AM   #12
John Edmondson

Profile:

Thanks everybody for your input. All of your boxes look great and are providing me with some valuable ideas and inspiration. I'm attending the Union City level 1 cert in March and hoping to affiliate and set up in the garage by summer. Thanks again.
Best, John
Old 12-26-2007, 08:04 AM   #13
Chris Drewry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Edmondson View Post
Thanks everybody for your input. All of your boxes look great and are providing me with some valuable ideas and inspiration. I'm attending the Union City level 1 cert in March and hoping to affiliate and set up in the garage by summer. Thanks again.
Best, John
Good luck John!!!
Old 12-26-2007, 10:47 AM   #14
John Tuitele

Profile:

New affiliate's experience: I've been spread out into 4 different locations in 2007 - a physical therapy office, a fitness center, and two different garage gyms. 2008 looks like multiple sites again. Important to note that this is a part time gig for me right now, or I might consider a different approach.

In 2008, I'll be conducting two group classes in a different fitness centers, basically an introductory CF class with dumbells, bodyweight and steps. Kind of an indoor boot camp. I'm dropping a similar kind of class in the PT office, that office setup didn't segregate our noise from the quiet parts of the clinic. I am also dropping my involvement in a garage gym across town - it hasn't pulled in the volume to justify my continued involvement. I will continue to train folks out of my garage gym.

Hands down, I really like my garage gym best for training folks. This setup has pretty much all I need for CF workouts, I have control over the space and equipment and the temps here in Phoenix in the Fall and Spring make it really pleasant. I have an evaporation cooler setup for hotter temps, but I'll be ramping down classes next summer - attendance was a joke last summer in the Phoenix heat.

The trick is going to be deciding when to ramp down my "real" job and devote more time to training......
Old 12-26-2007, 11:51 AM   #15
Ron Haskins

Profile:

John,

Do your "bootcamp" style classes in the fitness center lead to clients who have become interested and come to your garage gym? I am starting an introductory class at a martial arts center with hopes that it will lead to clients who want to further the CF experience. I have not had much luck attracting anyone since opening my affiliate in Nov.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:17 PM   #16
John Tuitele

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Haskins View Post
John,

Do your "bootcamp" style classes in the fitness center lead to clients who have become interested and come to your garage gym? I am starting an introductory class at a martial arts center with hopes that it will lead to clients who want to further the CF experience. I have not had much luck attracting anyone since opening my affiliate in Nov.
Do fitness center members transition to my garage gym? Yes and no. I advertise the classes as a 6 week commitment, watch the progress of the folks who attend, let everyone know the garage gym is there, but I'm selective with who I individually invite to "step up" to the garage gym workouts. Class in the Fall had regular attendance of 10 or 12 folks. From that group, 3 were invited to the garage gym. I think 2 of them will be here Friday morning.

I don't have a hard and fast criteria for selecting who is ready for the garage gym - has alot to do with regular attendance in the fitness center class, progress with the workouts and performance and a subjective factor that has to do with whether I see them "fitting in" with existing garage gym folks. I also watch for folks who blow through the fitness center class workouts alot faster than the other folks - they are ready for more.

Honestly, alot of folks are content to stay with the fitness center. The classes there are challenging enough for many of them. There's also the cost issue - garage gym classes are more expensive.

Very important to point out that I secured permission from the fitness center manager to invite people to the garage before I even started the class. The situation is a little different, perhaps, because this fitness center is part of a gated community with monthly association fees that cover fitness center membership (part of their golf/country club). They are still a member of that fitness center and the fitness center receives income from them as long as they are residing in that community. Fitness center director could care less if they workout at my place or not, either way he receives his income by virtue of their address.

I'm labeling the classes on the fitness center flyer as HILT - High Intensity Low Tech. Advertisement for the class references Crossfit and indicates that classes are designed on CF principles, but without some of the equipment that I see essential to something that should be described as CF. I also wanted to hold out labeling them as CrossFitters until they had stepped into training with bars, bumper plates and pullup bars - all missing as options at the fitness center class. Trust me, everyone is clear that this is a CF style class......CF gets clear credit as the inspiration, I direct them to the main site for current information, exercise videos, etc. However, I've been clear to let them know that the HILT class is an introduction to CF, not a substitute, and CF classes are their next consideration for increased intensity and load when/if they are ready for it. Last thing I'm interested in doing is to use what I've learned from CF without giving the organization proper credit.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:34 PM   #17
Fred Pimental

Profile:

Matt those are some nice pics on myspace. How big is your garage?

i am going to be re-doing my garage as well but space is tight, only 280sq ft. may be enough for me and 1-2 others.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:23 PM   #18
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thacker View Post
John,

We are loving our garage box..http://myspace.com/crossfithenderson

if you have a myspace account check out our pics. You can do alot with a little space.

Matt
Does your myspace account count as your website that you need for affiliation requirements or do you have something seperate?
Old 01-22-2008, 03:13 PM   #19
James Napier

Profile:

John Tuitele, where in Phoenix are you located?
Old 01-22-2008, 06:42 PM   #20
Matt Thacker

Profile:

Fred,

1200 sq ft. I built it for my racecars...or so I thought. One baby later and the racecars had to go. Enter Crossift. 1200 sq ft is plenty for a small affiliate. We have enough room for 8-10 clients which we rarely have at one time.

Carlos,

The myspace page is all we have right now. I actually paid someone to make me a webpage....http://www.crossfithenderson.com/index1.html, anyhow she disappeared off of the face of the earth and I haven't revisted the issue. The myspace page meets the requirments for affiliation and so far hasn't lost me any business so it meets my needs. I think one day when I get some extra money I will revisit the website thing...I am kinda bitter right now about being ripped off.