CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:03 AM   #1
Tobias W. Neal

Profile:
Exclamation Need advice...successful affiliates!!!

My name is Tobias Neal. I have served in the Air Force for the last 10+ years. My brother and I recently separated and are looking to affiliate and run a business full-time. We are coming face-to-face with the realities of running a box. I would be lying if I said that we are not nervous but we are both raging optimists. If you are a successful affiliate that wouldn't mind talking to us could you please give us some help with contact info. We are looking for those that do this full time and depend on the affiliate as their full time living. Truly, I appreciate any help that you can give.

Respectfully,

Tobias Neal
Old 01-14-2008, 11:19 AM   #2
Gregg Arsenuk

Profile:
Re: Need advice...successful affiliates!!!

Hey Tobias,
I cant say that I am a successful affiliate but I am a new affiliate that will have its doors open next month and probably have many of the same concerns that you have as this will be my sole source of income as well. Where I may be of some help is in starting up. You may also have some ideas that could help me out as well. 917-776-9121 or keep on w/the thread with particular concerns or ideas

Gregg
Old 01-14-2008, 01:24 PM   #3
Tobias W. Neal

Profile:

I appreciate your help and I will give you a call as well. As for thread, I will keep trying to keep it bumped up. I see many views but not to many responses so I hope the affiliates view these pages.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:31 PM   #4
Chris Drewry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias W. Neal View Post
I appreciate your help and I will give you a call as well. As for thread, I will keep trying to keep it bumped up. I see many views but not to many responses so I hope the affiliates view these pages.
Tobias. I recommend roadtripping it. Visit several affiliates face to face, pick their brains in person, take a look at their operation.

A few of the more successful affiliates dont get on this board much, but that doesnt mean they wont help you.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
Mark Reinke

Profile:

There have been posts like these before, and common responses have been along the lines of:

1. Believing in yourself and your commitment.
2. Read every issue of the CF Journal.
3. You're going to get every bit out of it that you put in.

Search for posts by "Skip Chase", as his knowledge and passion have been obvious in every post that I have read of his. In fact, he's answered similar questions to yours in month's past.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:48 PM   #6
John C. Brown

Profile:

Best advice that I can think to give you is this: lisa@crossfit.com, and www.crossfitsandiego.com. On this site, you will find better equipment at a better price then anyone else will be willing to sell it to you for. Eddie and Lisa's commitment to Crossfitters is unwavering and they do it for very little more than the satisfaction that they get from seeing Affiliates succeed. I have bought the majority of my gear through them, will continue to do so, and will tell everyone that asks, that that is where I shop. They are the best!
Old 01-14-2008, 02:04 PM   #7
Tobias W. Neal

Profile:

I appreciate the advice on reading Skip Chases comments and have spoke to him directly this last month. Thank you also, for the references in San Diego. I will be looking into them. As far as the road trips I would love to but money and a place to stay are the big limiting factors at this point. We were looking at a 3500 foot box off the bat because the area we are looking at in Colorado anything smaller starts to go into the trashy areas. Has anyone set up in a lower income area and still found success? Interested to hear your thoughts.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:11 PM   #8
Tobias W. Neal

Profile:

Now, that I have looked at my post, I wasn't specific enough. We are looking to open a 3000 sq foot box...what are some of the leases that folks have got so we have some idea if what we are hearing is high, does it matter if we build in a lower income area...will people be willing to come ( I know core crossfitters will go any where for a good gym , how do you bring in new members and have them travel from a nicer area to maybe a not nicer area? We looked for places in semi-nice places but the rent was high. Is anyone doing this full time with income worthy of doing it full time? I love what CrossFit is and what it represents...I am not looking to get rich but I do want to make a good living...I know that this is a subjective statement but I think the gist is caught. I understand if folks don't want to put it in a public forum, if you are willing email me at tobias.neal@hotmail.com. Any inputs would be appreciated. I look forward to your responses and thank you in advance.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:48 PM   #9
Rolando Ezequiel Martinez

Profile:

where in Colorado? Something in Aurora might do well because of Buckley.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:51 PM   #10
Daniel Freedman

Profile:

Re: Location

I'd guess every community is different, making it hard to generalize.

In New York, Toronto, London or other major urban centers it would be essential to be located directly on subway and/or bus lines (since so many people do not have cars.)

As for drivers, sure they'll travel -- but not TOO far. It's best if there is a major intersection or exit not too far away. The best bet might be a warehouse not too far off the beaten track.