CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:15 PM   #1
Richard Paul Ham-Williams

Profile:
Help - growth?

Hi Ladies and Gents,

Swallowing some pride here and asking for help.

I have been a PT for some time now and opened my own studio about 6 weeks ago (I have been accepted as an affiliate but cant quite muster the cash to pay yet)

All my old clients are still with me and seeing great results.

The big problem I am now having is getting new people in and getting them used to the mixed mode workouts and regulalry attending.

I have distributed fliers - no response

I have placed newspaper ads - no response

I send an email out to a large number of clients and prospective clients with new year discounts - no response.

I have also run an open day with little turn out.

The facility is near a big and busy main road but totally hidden from view - easy access, poor visibilty.

Now this all seems to confuse me as the old area I worked in, cars signage worked, news papers worked (fliers never worked) and I still have clients there too.

Sometimes I think it is my abilites as a coach/trainer, however, all my clients see great progress, fat loss and performance increases - sometimes on a dramatic scale, other times just a little. Point being, if my clients werent happy, they wouldnt keep coming back.

SO I guess I am asking, how the bloody hell do you get new people in the door to start with without wasting stacks of money on stuff that doesnt work?

Thanks to any help you guys can give.

Ham
Old 01-16-2008, 04:10 PM   #2
Woody Dixon

Profile:
Re: Help - growth?

If I were you I'd search for posts by Skip Chase. He has posted a considerable amount of information on this subject.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:54 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Tell your clients if they bring other people in who stay for at least X amount of time (which they should do if they care about their friends health) they will get a discount to their payments or whatever. Maybe set up a plan like that on your website with referral discounts and such.

Word of mouth generally works very well. That's what CF utilizes anyway...
Old 01-16-2008, 09:15 PM   #4
William Henniger

Profile:

We have had very little success with traditional advertising. Coach explains it well talking about putting flyers on cars that end up littering parking lots.

I don't see your blog address - you have to have something for people to see what you are doing. Post videos and pictures! Your product is not for everyone so you need to use a sniper rifle as opposed to a shotgun.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:27 AM   #5

Profile:

Cheers for all the replies,

I have read ALL of SKips stuff and find it very motivating and useful.

Read ALL journals bar this years (yet to renew subscription)

It still leaves me at a blank with this new area I am in.

If traditional marketing doesnt work...what does?

How do you get them in the door?
Old 01-17-2008, 08:15 AM   #6
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul Ham-Williams View Post
Cheers for all the replies,

I have read ALL of SKips stuff and find it very motivating and useful.

Read ALL journals bar this years (yet to renew subscription)

It still leaves me at a blank with this new area I am in.

If traditional marketing doesnt work...what does?

How do you get them in the door?
Skip has some great material. I've done a couple of the things he's suggested for various aspects of my business and its worked. Here is my new marketing plan:

1. I made a list of every police department, fire dept., and EMT service in SE CT. I am calling them and scheduling a time, or dropping by if I'm in the area, to drop off some flyers and a couple of copies of the free Journal. I give a 30-45 sec. spiel about what I do. No sales pressure, just highlighting my service and how I can be a resource for their people. I'm doing the same for a number of MA schools too.

2. Spending alot of time tweaking my website and trying to make sure that my message is receiveable to everyone that I'm trying to communicate to out there.

3. Constantly talking up my business and CrossFit and telling people to at least visit my website because its super cool and informative! Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the oil.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:00 AM   #7
Randy Kite

Profile:

+1 for Skip Chase.

Check out Skip's posts he's very good at getting them in the door and keeping them.

He improved everything I do in the first five minutes of a conversation.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:25 AM   #8
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

Be patient - you've only been open 6 weeks!
Old 01-17-2008, 09:39 AM   #9
Paul Hauf

Profile:

I'm not in the training business, but do have an almost 20 year career in sales - so take my advice FWIW......

You have a pot of untapped gold at your feet - happy customers. Referrals from happy customers are worth their weight in gold. I don't believe you have to offer discounts to get them. You do have to ask customers for them and train them to give them to you repeatedly - if clients are truly happy, they will gladly spread the word...

Ask for 5 (or 3 or pick a number) names of people who could benefit from the service ( - call, email, target market these peeps, mention the referral - then offer the prospect first week free, w/o, whatever).

It's also about how you ask - "Who do you know that would be interested in bringing their fitness to the next level?" or "Ms Jones, we've worked together successfully to help you lose weight and increase your overall health/fitness, who else do you know that would like to do the same? - here's a pad and pen, write down 5 names and I'll try to get them down here to change their life as well...." vs. "I'd appreciate any referrals you could give me?"
Old 01-17-2008, 10:22 AM   #10

Profile:

Patience is not one of my virtues

Being more assertive with the referrals is good advice that I need to take on board indeed - thanks.

Again, Skips advice (amoung others) have got me where I am right now, and of that I owe my appreciation and several betties if and when I make it over to the US.

The sooner I can get more in the door, the quicker I can get bigger groups going - more people get helped and the snowball effect begins....I hope

Thanks again so far for the input.