CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 12-30-2004, 06:27 AM   #1
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Well, let's have at it:
Old 12-30-2004, 06:30 AM   #2
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
I'll be contributing throughout the day (moving today...it sucks).

Just to get us started...I find that one of the things that's most helpful to me is to try to find an unused room (I often use the Spinning room) and move as many of my "stations" in there as possible. The trainers at my gym became very cool with that once they saw two things:
1. I work harder than just about anyone else there...so they know I'm not around for social hour or just to screw around.
2. They saw that I put everything back in it's proper place when I finish.

By my count, 8 of the 12 exercises in today's WOD are "moveable". That leaves only 4 possible hangups/delays.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:40 AM   #3
Michael Halbfish

Profile:
Matt, I just posted with todays WOD scores suggesting that we start a discussion on this topic. I see you beat me to it.
I think that it helps prepare multiple index cards with the WOD. I leave one at every station and Bold what I do at that station and what I do next.
I also have my substitutions or modifications figured out in advance. My goal is to keep the WOD moving. I think it is probably better to sub an exercise than create a long pause as you relocate. As I understand it, one of the primary purposes of the Chipper is to create a metabollic challenge. I work to preserve the original intent.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:14 AM   #4
William Hunter

Profile:
Thanks for the good info Michael. I'm about 5 weeks into Crossfit, and these WODs confused me as to what I should prioritize; exact (or as close as possible) replication, or "close enough" with much greater flow from one station to another. Trying this at my small and congested gym could really slow me down. Now I think I'll do this one at home with a couple extra subs and be able to go non-stop.

Matt, I moved a year ago with a wife, 3 small children, and four pets. I feel your pain.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:24 AM   #5
John Justin Syvrud

Profile:

I don't have a home crossfit gym either, but do havesome of the toys kb, rings..etc. I rent a locker and keep them there. My gym has a basketball court which I use most of the time with trips into the weight room. Also, working out at 5:30 in the morning helps open up space, as using 15+ stations is a pretty rude with a full gym. I think in about 3 days anyone who x-fits at a commercial gym is going to have trouble because of the new year rush of exercise "enthusiats" :-)
Old 12-30-2004, 08:14 AM   #6
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Yup, I've been dreading the "Resolution" influx for the last two weeks.

Mike, I think you may have misunderstood my earlier post. I relocate all of my stations to a separate room before ever starting the WOD. Far from slowing me down, it actually speeds things up, as I only have to move 6" to the next station.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:20 AM   #7
William Hunter

Profile:
I had forgotten all about the January onslaught. Thanks for the reminder. Maybe I'll go ahead and acquire a couple more pieces of the home gym puzzle. I figure by Feb. 1 it will start to clear out a bit.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:55 AM   #8
Laura Rucker

Profile:
But the resolution influx is a perfect opportunity to lure...I mean interest... new crossfitters! I've already got people watching me. The personal trainer that has people doing bicep curls and lat pulldowns is getting nervous.

My last chipper was pretty slow because I couldn't move all of the stations. This one might be ok. The rope climb and the ring dips will have to be subbed.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:07 PM   #9
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
When I run into an exercise that I can't move...pullups for example...and then I get backed up behind someone, I'll keep my heart rate up by subbing in an exercise until the station I need opens up. I always use an exercise that isn't in the WOD. For example, today my designated exercise was pushups (didn't have to use it though). If I'd run into a block, I would have just started doing pushups until things freed up.

Like the saying goes..."no one ever drowned in sweat". A little extra isn't going to hurt anyone, and it helps achieve the goal of keeping the HR up.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:33 PM   #10
Pat Janes

Profile:

I do all my WOD's at home, so I don't have to worry about moving stuff around a gym. I haven't been to a commercial gym for about 10 years, but I don't honestly think any of them around here would allow a typical WOD to happen. "Far too dangerous"...

I'll be going away for the next few days during which I have this WOD scheduled; but I'll have to swap it out for something else, I think. Going camping on an island with very little on it and the car will already be full; my wife would destroy me if I tried to fill the car with equipment... just hoping the next WOD ("Friday's") is relatively equipment-free, so I can just swap them. Luckily the squat/pushup/pullup WOD (which I will be doing while away) is perfect...