CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-22-2015, 06:21 PM   #1
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:
new KB design by Rogue

http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-thompson-fatbells (wfs)

Thoughts on these vs a standard Kb?

Would be interesting to see how the really do vs a standard KB. I know with the wrist injury I sustained a year ago sometimes they really kill my grip / wrist with all the play / swing on them.

Seriously considering getting one of these if they do help because of how the grip is centered in the entire weight.

And as much as I hate seeing KBs dropped I think these would bounce less in those crazy directions when someone dropped vs a standard one.

Thoughts on worth picking one up?

Last edited by Shawn M Wilson : 10-22-2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:48 AM   #2
Sean J Hunter

Profile:
Re: new KB design by Rogue

Any real benefits here?

Seem a little gimmicky

S
Old 10-23-2015, 05:04 AM   #3
Miles Roberts

Profile:

Physically, it will act more like a dumbbell. I like it. I really don't like snatching kettlebells. I'd like snatching the new style, I think.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:48 AM   #4
Cooper Mitchell

Profile:

I'm going to get one to test out, they would be absolutely awesome for manmakers at the very least.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:55 AM   #5
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean J Hunter View Post
Any real benefits here?

Seem a little gimmicky

S
I think they would be useful for teaching new people how to swing a kb but can you fit 2 hands inside one of them?

As an older guy with a wrist injury the biggest benefit I could get is still getting that work in but without the wrist pain / numbness.

I have used Dbells but honestly after 55lbs or more it gets to be a pain to swing between the leg due to the size of them. Something compact would be nice obviously.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:24 AM   #6
Michael Cook

Profile:

Judging by the pictures on the Rogue website, it does not look like you can grab the fatbells with both hands on the handle.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:52 AM   #7
David Kiesling

Profile:

I'm confused as to how they get a hollowed out kb up to 88 lbs. Maybe they're bigger than they look.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:09 PM   #8
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Comes out to be between 9.5-10 inches in diameter according to the website for the 88lb one
Old 10-24-2015, 02:55 PM   #9
Richard Colon

Profile:

My gym is about 90% Rogue, so I'm a fan. A BIG fan of what they do but...

this is garbage. Yes, yes, I know - I haven't tried it yet, so I'll still state that opinion and would be perfectly willing to admit I was wrong and jump on the bandwagon of the new and shiny if it ended up decent.

I'm a major fan of all things RKC, Russian KB training, Fedorenko, Ivan Denisov, Long Cycle KB work, etc. To me, the often overlooked benefits of KB training are learning to harden the body up, develop better wrist, grip, forearm strength, learn proper movement with a snatch, a clean, getting the bell into and holding it in the rack position, etc. All things that are worked and part of the deal, as it has been for decades and as it has been demonstrated by those better than Donnie Thompson and the guys are Rogue (specific to KBs of course). Yes, the dude (Donnie) is a monster of strength - I get it and respect his powerlifting totals but if you can get VF or Denisov to give it 2 thumbs up, then I'm all over it. Otherwise, bleh.

To me this feels a lot like the trend as of late in many things - especially in fitness - dumbing it down so everyone can try it!

Leave my beloved KBs alone.

Last edited by Richard Colon : 10-24-2015 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:35 AM   #10
John Donovan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Colon View Post
My gym is about 90% Rogue, so I'm a fan. A BIG fan of what they do but...

this is garbage. Yes, yes, I know - I haven't tried it yet, so I'll still state that opinion and would be perfectly willing to admit I was wrong and jump on the bandwagon of the new and shiny if it ended up decent.

I'm a major fan of all things RKC, Russian KB training, Fedorenko, Ivan Denisov, Long Cycle KB work, etc. To me, the often overlooked benefits of KB training are learning to harden the body up, develop better wrist, grip, forearm strength, learn proper movement with a snatch, a clean, getting the bell into and holding it in the rack position, etc. All things that are worked and part of the deal, as it has been for decades and as it has been demonstrated by those better than Donnie Thompson and the guys are Rogue (specific to KBs of course). Yes, the dude (Donnie) is a monster of strength - I get it and respect his powerlifting totals but if you can get VF or Denisov to give it 2 thumbs up, then I'm all over it. Otherwise, bleh.

To me this feels a lot like the trend as of late in many things - especially in fitness - dumbing it down so everyone can try it!

Leave my beloved KBs alone.
Well said.
32/5'10"/233. 500m row-1:39/1000m row-3:53/2k row- 8:12/DL-495, FS-325, Back squat- 440, Press-205, Snatch-96kg, C&J-121Kg, 5k run- 27:30