CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-18-2014, 06:48 AM   #11
Jason A Smith

Profile:
Re: Looking for a good Crossfit shoe

Nike is coming out with a shoe shortly that is designed for Functional Fitness. Josh Bridges has a couple pictures up on his Facebook. And there are some linked photos in the thread here about people having to wear Reebok shoes at the Games regardless of what they usually wear.

They look really nice, may be my new shoe. I like Nike for my feet more than Reebok.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:42 AM   #12
Jason Fischer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason A Smith View Post
Nike is coming out with a shoe shortly that is designed for Functional Fitness. Josh Bridges has a couple pictures up on his Facebook. And there are some linked photos in the thread here about people having to wear Reebok shoes at the Games regardless of what they usually wear.

They look really nice, may be my new shoe. I like Nike for my feet more than Reebok.
Those new Nike's look awesome and I'm definitely waiting for them (to at least try) for my next shoe (probably time to replace my first gen Nano's). I suspect they may be a bit nicer to run in than the og Nano's...
Old 07-19-2014, 07:32 AM   #13
John Donovan

Profile:

What about the Under Armour Toxic? Saw them on the UA site and they look pretty good.

Another shoe to add is the 5.11 trainer shoe.
32/5'10"/233. 500m row-1:39/1000m row-3:53/2k row- 8:12/DL-495, FS-325, Back squat- 440, Press-205, Snatch-96kg, C&J-121Kg, 5k run- 27:30
Old 07-19-2014, 12:40 PM   #14
Michael A. Jones

Profile:

Bottom line is to find the shoe that functions best for your foot and activities. Too many of us get wrapped up in the hype that a certain shoe will make you better at your sport.....False!!

My advice is to try what's in your liking and go with what works.

Good luck!!

Michael
Old 07-19-2014, 04:53 PM   #15
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

I still like my system.

- Chucks if there is no running. Hate running in Chucks. Love them for everything else.
- Some sort of low(ish) profile, running(ish) sort of shoe for WODs with really any running whatsoever. My rotation for this has been a Mizuno shoe (forgot which model), Onitsuka Ultimate 81s, and Inov-8 230s, depending on my mood and (I'm a dork) color scheme for the workout. Gotta look good to feel good, dahling.
- If just straight Oly, then lifting shoes.

Yes, this means that sometimes I'm changing shoes while I'm in the gym; i.e. if we do (say) a 3x5 squat workout followed by some sort of movement-oriented metcon including running, I'll have my Chucks on for the squats and then switch over to the runners for the metcon. If there's no running, then I just keep the Chucks on. It may seem nuts to do it this way, but it works for me.

- Mark
Old 07-19-2014, 05:41 PM   #16
Snir Golan

Profile:

my system was:

Nano's 2 or 3 for WOD's that don't have too much running
Running shoe for wods with a lot of running
Lifting shoes for strength work.

recently i have been playing with doing everything in my Nano and it has been working ok so far. feels weird to squat in my Nano's or do Oly lifting in it but i do feel that it actually helped my mobility especially around my ankles.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:02 PM   #17
Jason A Smith

Profile:

I wear my Adidas lifters when I lift and will sometimes wear them for conditioning work depending on what it is. Otherwise it is Nanos.

FWIW I wore Nanos for everything in the Open except 14.2 for that I wore my lifting shoes.

When I bought my lifters it was a toss up between Adidas or Nike. Still
May buy myself some Nike lifting shoes to compare with what I have.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #18
Matthew S Cooper

Profile:

Let me preface this by saying I follow the CF Football programming, which separates the strength workout from the conditioning WOD.

Adidas Powerlift 2.0 - weightlifting, squatting
New Balance Minimus MX20v2 - pretty much anything other than long runs
Brooks Pure Cadence - distance running shoes
Asics Japan Lightning - track sprinting up to 400m

For the squats and powercleans in the strength WOD I wear the Adidas Powerlift shoes, then switch into my NB Minimus for the conditioning WOD. Sometimes I'll do longer runs, at which point I wear a more traditional running shoe (albeit one with a low 4mm drop and not too much cushion). Lastly, if the workout call for dedicated sprint training I slip into a pair of sprint spikes.

There's no reason I couldn't weightlift and squat in the Minimus, but I prefer the stability of weightlifting shoes. Likewise, I could get by with the Brooks for conditioning WODs and lighter weight lifting, but they are a little squishy. The weightlifting shoes and sprint spikes are purpose built, task specific shoes and are not suitable for anything other than their intended use.

In summary, it's nice to have a variety shoes to select from, but if you can only own one pair a cross training/running type shoe will be your best bet.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:23 AM   #19
Chris Jones

Profile:

i agree its whatever youre most comfortable with. I bought some reebok lifters to compliment my lifting and used them when i started 5/3/1. I found that i dont really need/like them for back squats, ive started doing them in my nanos again and i feel like it makes me focus on better form and helps my mobility in the ankles. For light OHS or front squat/thrusters in a workout i will still wear my nanos but if im going for weight ill throw on my lifters because it does help me, especially in the OHS.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:48 AM   #20
Jay Wang

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando Garcia View Post
Looking for a good Crossfit shoe or equivalent. I know I see people wearing chuck Taylor or whatever. Any suggestions?
Nano 2.0 is on sale now. check it out:

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...66#post1237466