CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
Michal Hobbs

Profile:
Paleo/Nutrition Question

Hey Guys,

Two months Paleo and I should feel great, but instead with CFing 4x week, I feel like I'm falling apart. Felt great for the first 50+ days, but then started having wrist issues, knee issues, upper/lower back issues and strange hearing issues (tinnitus). I didn't change anything except my nutrition, so wanted to get a critique to see what I'm doing wrong/why my body is fussing.

My diet looks like this:

6:00am - Wake up
6:30 - Breakfast (3 eggs, 4 p. bacon or three scoops of almonds, pecans, walnuts and a scoop of blueberries w/ coconut milk)
9:30 - Snack (2 whole eggs, 1 added white)
12:30 - Lunch (8 oz fish, 2 cups vegetable or rest of plate)
3:30 - Snack (4 oz tuna, 1 fruit)
6:00 Workout
6:30 PWO Shake (30g Protein, 9g BCAA, 5g Creatine Monohydrate)
(only non-paleo thing in my diet)
7:30 - Dinner (6-8 oz meat, 2 cups vegetable or rest of plate)
9:30 - Bed

Very confused as to why I went from solid to feeling like a broken car. Thoughts?
Old 03-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
Joey Shishineh

Profile:
Re: Paleo/Nutrition Question

body composition (weight, BF%)? what CF program are you following?
Old 03-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
Michal Hobbs

Profile:

Weight - 149, Height - 5'9, BF% - Not sure, but probably 12-15%.

CF Program focus is strength, so lots of STO, GTO, Deads, Squats etc. A little running, but mostly get non-strength stuff from box jumps, burpees and KB swings. Programming generally looks like M, T, F as Strength, and W as Metcon or Sprints.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Hobbs View Post
Weight - 149, Height - 5'9, BF% - Not sure, but probably 12-15%.

CF Program focus is strength, so lots of STO, GTO, Deads, Squats etc. A little running, but mostly get non-strength stuff from box jumps, burpees and KB swings. Programming generally looks like M, T, F as Strength, and W as Metcon or Sprints.
I think overall, your diet looks real good for your size and training. Maybe throw in some more dense carbs - sweet potatoes..(paleo?) I am not sure if you just didn't list it but your PWO shake needs 30-60g carbs (coconut water/juice would work for paleo). Otherwise, you are eating great and I am not completely sure that your feelings are nutrition based - what about sleep, stress?. Maybe get more carbs and play around with your macronutrient percentages (35/35/30 protein/fat/carb works for me). Although you do eat a lot of fish, I still recommend 2g epa/dha omega-3 supplement through fish oils. (is your fish farm raised or wild?)

Last edited by Joey Shishineh : 03-13-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
Brian Androsian

Profile:

I'm thinking this isn't a nutrition issue. If you're having wrist, knee and back issues, are you sure your form is good?
I agree with the above that stress and sleep issues can cause a lot of problems, too.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

Your diet is severely lacking in healthy fats. Aside from the nuts at breakfast, and possibly the oils you're cooking in, I don't see any. Fat is your recovery macronutrient; eat more.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #7
Michal Hobbs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Shishineh View Post
I think overall, your diet looks real good for your size and training. Maybe throw in some more dense carbs - sweet potatoes..(paleo?) I am not sure if you just didn't list it but your PWO shake needs 30-60g carbs (coconut water/juice would work for paleo). Otherwise, you are eating great and I am not completely sure that your feelings are nutrition based - what about sleep, stress?. Maybe get more carbs and play around with your macronutrient percentages (35/35/30 protein/fat/carb works for me). Although you do eat a lot of fish, I still recommend 2g epa/dha omega-3 supplement through fish oils. (is your fish farm raised or wild?)
Thanks for the advice. If it means feeling healthy again, I'll eat sweet potatoes.

Currently take Calcium, D3 and Omega-3 supplements and a Centrum - mostly because I'm lactose-intolerant, and I don't drink enough Coco/Almond Milk.

PWO Shake is a scoop of ON's Platinum Hydro-Whey (bcaa's included and no lactose) and 5g of NOW Creatine Monohydrate. You think mixing with Coconut Water for the carbs would be sufficent? I didn't add carbs because I thought anything I added sans veggies would be non-paleo.

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/prod...hey-p-271.html

Get 8-9 hours of sleep a night, but stress is a killer. I work in politics, and have been having a pretty steep increase in overall stress within the last month or two. Figured the workouts would offset the stress, but maybe not.

Fish is from Trader Joes - either the salmon burgers in a two-pack at 8oz or Tilapia in a two-pack.

Where in the diet do I add sweet potatoes? Lunch and dinner?
Old 03-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
Michal Hobbs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher G. Woods View Post
Your diet is severely lacking in healthy fats. Aside from the nuts at breakfast, and possibly the oils you're cooking in, I don't see any. Fat is your recovery macronutrient; eat more.
Chris, an avocado at 9:30?
Old 03-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #9
Michal Hobbs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Androsian View Post
I'm thinking this isn't a nutrition issue. If you're having wrist, knee and back issues, are you sure your form is good?
I agree with the above that stress and sleep issues can cause a lot of problems, too.
Maybe. I go to a box here in DC, and haven't had anyone yell at me too much. Try to stretch with a lacrosse ball and a band once a day, but my traps, lower back, psoas muscles and wrist just blew up in a matter of a week or two. Wrists have always been weak, so I've got a pair of Rogue wraps for the time being, even with 60-70lbs, but push-ups kill with the pressure on the outside of my wrist. Traps feel like they're tense or about to pull away from my back.

Maybe it is stress, as this happened suddenly and has taken me out for going on two weeks.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #10
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

I agree with the suggestion of more fats and more dense carbs, but also agree that this doesn't sound nutrition-driven. The sudden onset suggests that one workout really wrecked your body, and you just haven't recovered. More stretching, more mobility work, maybe take an extra day off.

A highly stressful job probably also means that you're holding tension in various places, which wouldn't help. A long Jacuzzi soak and/or a professional massage wouldn't hurt.

Katherine