CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2016, 07:03 PM   #1
Jeff Yan
Member Jeff Yan is offline
 
Jeff Yan's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York City  New York
Posts: 867
Is there a true RX standard for wall ball target height?

For the sake of simplicity, let's just refer to men's RX of 10'.

When I judge wall balls against an actual wall I require the middle of the ball to hit at or above a line marked at 10'. If anybody does this differently, please let me know.

However, a friend of mine competed at Regionals a few years ago, and he had to do wall balls against a mounted target like the ones made by Rogue. The middle of the target was placed at 10' and the diameter of the target itself is 16". For his wall ball to considered valid, all he had to do was to hit the target somewhere. If I'm not mistaken, then that means he could have had the top of his ball just skim or graze the bottom of the target and it would have counted.

So, getting back to the question in the title--is there actually a universal rule for target height?

I haven't reviewed any of the movement standard videos from the past Opens (although those can change from year to year), but do you recall how/if this is addressed?

Thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:43 PM   #2
Danielle Chollet
Member Danielle Chollet is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lafayette  CO
Posts: 87
Re: Is there a true RX standard for wall ball target height?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Yan View Post
The middle of the target was placed at 10' and the diameter of the target itself is 16". For his wall ball to considered valid, all he had to do was to hit the target somewhere. If I'm not mistaken, then that means he could have had the top of his ball just skim or graze the bottom of the target and it would have counted.
If the ball hits the bottom edge without hitting the face of the target it is a no rep. The middle of the ball (part that sticks out the furthest) can hit the bottom face of the target but not under the lip. That's how I've seen no-reps called pretty much everywhere, including when I was at the masters. When we asked them how high the targets were they didn't answer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:56 PM   #3
Danielle Chollet
Member Danielle Chollet is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lafayette  CO
Posts: 87
Re: Is there a true RX standard for wall ball target height?

double post
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:56 PM   #4
Diana Alt
Member Diana Alt is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Olathe  KS
Posts: 117
Re: Is there a true RX standard for wall ball target height?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle Chollet View Post
double post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Yan View Post
For the sake of simplicity, let's just refer to men's RX of 10'.

When I judge wall balls against an actual wall I require the middle of the ball to hit at or above a line marked at 10'. If anybody does this differently, please let me know.

However, a friend of mine competed at Regionals a few years ago, and he had to do wall balls against a mounted target like the ones made by Rogue. The middle of the target was placed at 10' and the diameter of the target itself is 16". For his wall ball to considered valid, all he had to do was to hit the target somewhere. If I'm not mistaken, then that means he could have had the top of his ball just skim or graze the bottom of the target and it would have counted.

So, getting back to the question in the title--is there actually a universal rule for target height?

I haven't reviewed any of the movement standard videos from the past Opens (although those can change from year to year), but do you recall how/if this is addressed?

Thanks!
I wouldn't say there is a universal standard - every competition has its own standards and you have to just pay careful attention. That said, the most common things across my years of judging every level except Games are ...

When there is a target, I've most commonly seen the standard be that some part of the ball has to touch the face of the target at the top of the arc. It doesn't have to be the middle of the ball to the middle of the target. If the ball bounces off the lip or misses the target, it's a no rep. And in some competition if it goes above the target prior to touching the target but touches on the way down, I've seen that be a no rep. The reasoning for very particular rules for wall ball target is that the wall ball is considered an accuracy test as well as a cardio burner.

When there is a line, I have most commonly seen that any part of the ball has to touch the wall at or above the line. If the whole ball is above the line it counts. If the whole ball is below the line it doesn't. And if the ball hits the ball entirely below the line and then scoots up to be above the line, it also doesn't count.

I've written movement standards for many competitions, mostly local, and I always start with what the open standards are. If we are doing something that hasn't appeared in the open, Or we decide we want to test a different aspect, we adjust accordingly.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:44 AM   #5
Nicholas Wheeler
Member Nicholas Wheeler is offline
 
Nicholas Wheeler's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Virginia Beach  VA
Posts: 604
Re: Is there a true RX standard for wall ball target height?

This looks pretty official - http://d2ufjv2mjmrw7m.cloudfront.net...Wsbd32Sdwh.pdf (WFS)
__________________
Retro Intensity - VA Beach Garage Gym (CURRENTLY FREE!) My gyms Awesome shirts! (WFS)
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:25 PM   #6
Mark Dennis
Member Mark Dennis is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Gladstone Queensland  Australia
Posts: 3
Re: Is there a true RX standard for wall ball target height?

IMO wall balls are fairly discriminating in that it is much easier for a taller person to hit the target than a shorter person.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:01 AM   #7
Nicholas Wheeler
Member Nicholas Wheeler is offline
 
Nicholas Wheeler's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Virginia Beach  VA
Posts: 604
Re: Is there a true RX standard for wall ball target height?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dennis View Post
IMO wall balls are fairly discriminating in that it is much easier for a taller person to hit the target than a shorter person.
Rowing is easier for a tall person.

Thrusters & burpees are easier for a short person.

Everything has it's advantages/disadvantages.
__________________
Retro Intensity - VA Beach Garage Gym (CURRENTLY FREE!) My gyms Awesome shirts! (WFS)
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:09 PM   #8
Erik Jefferson Meadows
Member Erik Jefferson Meadows is offline
 
Erik Jefferson Meadows's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Atlanta  GA
Posts: 422
Re: Is there a true RX standard for wall ball target height?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Wheeler View Post
Rowing is easier for a tall person.

Thrusters & burpees are easier for a short person.

Everything has it's advantages/disadvantages.
Agree... ring muscle-ups with my 6'6" wing span are no piece of cake.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wall ball target design Bill Houghton Running a CrossFit Facility 3 11-21-2010 11:48 PM
Wall Ball Target Christopher Olson Equipment 9 01-15-2009 06:02 PM
Change Wall Ball Target Height per Person? David Doran Marshall Exercises 8 10-29-2007 11:54 AM
Wall Ball Target. Jacob Tsypkin Exercises 3 03-16-2006 10:37 AM
Wall Ball Target Material James Taft Equipment 4 06-03-2004 04:06 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.