CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-17-2016, 01:43 PM   #31
Alex Burden

Profile:
Re: Not training the snatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael F Ward View Post
2 things come into play for me to teach the snatch.

1st: If an athlete can hold a bar overhead then I start teaching them the power snatch. This exposes them to the mechanics of the snatch.

2nd: I only start teaching a full snatch to athletes who can demonstrate proficiency in an OHS. Then I start with PSn + OHS complexes at light weights to build correct movement patterns but more importantly to build confidence in receiving the bar in a squat.

If an athlete cannot perform a perfect OHS then I identify the issue, which is usually put down to mobility, get them to work on that and in the meantime have them performing Front Squats to build the upright positional strength in the bottom of a squat.

I am a coach who only allows my athletes to progress to the next movement in a hierarchy once they demonstrate PERFECT technique and control. Close enough is NEVER good enough. I make this clear to all new members coming into my box. If they put in the time to improve mobility and work on the prescribed accessory exercises, then they will get results and will move onto the 'cool looking' movements.
Do you use the snatch balance at all, To help build confidence receiving the bar at the bottom?