CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
Tim Dexter

Profile:
Exclamation CrossFit for athletes?

Came across a post talking about the negatives of crossfit for athletes. I'm relatively new to crossfit so wanted the thoughts some people with more experience. So...fire away

http://blog.stack.com/2011/05/15/cro...f-performance/
Old 05-16-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
Travis Loest

Profile:
Re: CrossFit for athletes?

Waaaaaaaay back in the day, circa 2005, I remember Crossfit was talked about as a general preparedness program(GPP), that it would work as a base but if you are actively participating in a sport that you would want sport specific training in addition to Crossfit. I believe it still is that.
Crossfit has begun to become a sport/activity in and of itself but it still works as a GPP. If you're pursuing a sport don't "kill yourself" on the Crossfit workout. "Kill yourself" on your sport specific workout and use Crossfit to smooth out the areas that you don't normally train.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #3
Brian Strump

Profile:

We train several athletes from AAU basketball to NFL players in the offseason.

IMO, training at a well programmed affiliate will help improve an athlete regardless of level physically and mentally. However, if you stop training for your skill(sport) and only do CrossFit....Your sport will suffer.

We do GPP with most of the athletes, and supplement according to their individual needs.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:00 PM   #4
Joshua Murphy

Profile:

Meh. Nice first post. Welcome.

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)
Old 05-17-2011, 05:44 AM   #5
Pearse Shields

Profile:

I'm of the opinion that athletes do need specific programming. I also believe that periodization is important for planning a S&C programme. I know that if I were to train the 2 weeks before a fight the same way that I do when I have no fights lined up, that I wouldn't come into the ring in optimal condition; some areas would be more or less developed than others.
While the principles behind Crossfit can be useful, I do not believe that it can entirely replace a well thought-out, individual programme. It is my opinion that Crossfit has the greatest benefit to people who have a lack of need for specificity- people who are in it for fun, or who want to be well-rounded athletes in general. Marathon runners won't reap the benefits from Crossfit that they would from more running. Powerlifters won't get the same benefit from metcon-based training that they would from picking heavy things up and putting them down.
Crossfit has a time and place. Just not a specific place, that's all...
Old 05-17-2011, 06:46 AM   #6
Mike Hopper

Profile:

This is about two years old, but I thought it was a pretty good article when I read it for the first time the other day..

http://ericcressey.com/crossfit-for-baseball