CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-10-2015, 10:29 AM   #1
Phil Washlow

Profile:
Low Back Pain

While doing Amanda, on the second to last snatch I felt a pain about one inch above my hip bone and two inches towards my belly button both in the front and in the back on only my left side. My psoas and QL were horrible to roll out afterwards but doing so makes the pain better, at least temporarily. The pain is consistent in the back in the are between my pelvis and ribcage top/bottom and from my erector all the way to my oblique left/right. I am perfectly comfortable standing, I can even jog if I want to. However if I hip hinge or squat either without actively bracing beforehand or do one of those actions to the limits of my current mobility while bracing I feel extreme pain.

Has anyone dealt with something like this or have an idea of what is going on?

Thanks
Old 11-10-2015, 11:28 AM   #2
Alex Burden

Profile:
Re: Low Back Pain

Possible lumbago...
Old 11-17-2015, 06:56 AM   #3
Michael E Tancini

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Washlow View Post
While doing Amanda, on the second to last snatch I felt a pain about one inch above my hip bone and two inches towards my belly button both in the front and in the back on only my left side. My psoas and QL were horrible to roll out afterwards but doing so makes the pain better, at least temporarily. The pain is consistent in the back in the are between my pelvis and ribcage top/bottom and from my erector all the way to my oblique left/right. I am perfectly comfortable standing, I can even jog if I want to. However if I hip hinge or squat either without actively bracing beforehand or do one of those actions to the limits of my current mobility while bracing I feel extreme pain.

Has anyone dealt with something like this or have an idea of what is going on?

Thanks

Find yourself a quality Physical therapist in your area, and let him look at you.

Lumbago is just a catch all term that means back pain. It really doesn't tell you much. Its a pretty common medical diagnosis that gets relayed to the PT. Its then the PT's job to figure out the root and fix it so the patient can then feel better.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:47 AM   #4
Phil Washlow

Profile:

Update and further questions. On wednesday 12/16 I will be getting injections in L3 and L4, had these same injections for the same pain back in march and it worked quite well. After the injections last time the pain went away and my movement improved. The physical therapist I saw cleared me to perform any activity that didn't cause pain, which left me unlimited, I still took things slowly and worked to improve an abdominal muscle asymmetry which is now gone. Eventually I ramped up the volume and ended up where I am now, getting injections again.

My 2 new questions are: Any advice on finding a good physical therapist that will take the time to understand the movement patterns of crossfit and help me disect what issues there are in my movement that have caused me to injure my back multiple times.

Second, I have noticed that when transitioning from hip flexion to hip extension; deadlift, clean, snatch, etc., I have trouble fully extending my left hip without my left knee moving back towards my midline, either in line with my foot or inside of it. I try to keep my butt squeezed the whole time to maintain the positioning I am looking for and my right side does exactly what I want it to. I believe this has at least some part in my consistently injuring the left side of my back. Has anyone experienced this or have any idea what I can work on to fix it? I can feel a small snap/click/pop in the left hip/groin area when keeping externally rotated and attempting to move from flexion to extension.

Sorry for the rambling and thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:09 AM   #5
Alex Burden

Profile:

Personally i would go to a chiropraktor to find out what is going on.

Find one that works with people within sports, they normally have a better understanding.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:38 PM   #6
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

I had back pain after heavy deadlifts that I kept babying and working through for months and then I finally went to get x-rays and an MRI.

Turns out I have two bulging discs, both with annular tears. If you have insurance, I feel like it's worth getting looked into. Now at least I know what's wrong and am on a recovery plan, before I was just assuming I was being a baby and trying to work through it.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:58 AM   #7
Phil Washlow

Profile:

I've been to multiple chiropractors and physical therapists. Just had my MRI read and they found pinched nerves at L3 and L4, received injections to calm the nerves. Thinking my next step is to find a diagnostic physical therapist who understands crossfit and weightlifting who can help me understand what about my movement is causing this once and for all. In the mean time I plan to avoid any olympic weightlifting and other dynamic movements and limit myself to gymnastics, cardio (airdyne, running, rowing), and powerlifting movements.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:06 AM   #8
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Quote:
I've been to multiple chiropractors and physical therapists. Just had my MRI read and they found pinched nerves at L3 and L4, received injections to calm the nerves. Thinking my next step is to find a diagnostic physical therapist who understands crossfit and weightlifting who can help me understand what about my movement is causing this once and for all. In the mean time I plan to avoid any olympic weightlifting and other dynamic movements and limit myself to gymnastics, cardio (airdyne, running, rowing), and powerlifting movements.
I'd avoid rowing myself. It definitely made my back worse when I was still trying to work through injury.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:51 AM   #9
Alex Burden

Profile:

Quote:
How much do you work on your core strength?
Being weak in the abs will put stress on your lower back.
Hip flexors do all the work instead.

Last edited by Alex Burden : 12-17-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:38 AM   #10
Phil Washlow

Profile:

I have done a good amount of core work, quite a lot in physical therapy the first time I hurt my back. I have recently realized/learned that I was not performing the movements correctly. While planking or doing a hollow hold I noticed that i have a bulge in the middle of my abs. After some researched I learned that this means my transverse abdominus is not working/activating/strong enough. I can hold a plank for multiple minutes, comfortablty L-sit, weighted dead bugs/dying bugs, etc. however I do all of these movements incorrectly. This issue has been present for a long time, though I never realized and multiple physical therapists in the past never noticed that it was a big issue and that I was performing the movements incorrectly. I always thought that having very large and protruding upper abs (compared to middle and lower) was just the way my body developed naturally and didn't realize it was a symptom of this issue. My plan now is to progress through the physical therapy movements I have done in the past while making sure I do not progress unless I am in the correct position.

Has anyone experienced this or known someone who has dealt with this and fixed it? Did they have low back pain that improved?