CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-07-2015, 01:50 PM   #1
Adam Richard

Profile:
biceps long tendon out of groove

According to doc my biceps long tendon is out of groove. He wants to repair it as in the given link, putting a screw and cutting the tendon on top.

http://www.hiromisogo.com/wp-content...ss-final-B.png

I dont have much issues now, but sometimes the tendon gets out of the groove after some movements, and I get a painful month or so. I am wondering if there are any crossfitters who had this surgery before. Can they do kipping pull ups afterwards, is that screw going to hold all my crossfit exercises
Old 10-10-2015, 09:15 PM   #2
Steven Wingo

Profile:
Re: biceps long tendon out of groove

I am about 8 weeks out from major shoulder surgery which included a biceps tenodesis which appears to be the same thing. It is more and more frequently done in lieu of a labral repair--they cut the long head of the biceps tendon off the glenoid labrum and attach it to the head of the humerus. Recovery is quicker and function appears just as good, based upon available research (it is still a relatively new procedure), for most everyone but throwing athletes. Some research suggests biceps tenodesis should be used in anyone over 40 and in non-throwing athletes.

It is too early for me to tell the results--I also had a torn rotator cuff repair and a distal clavicle resection--so my recovery is longer. However my box owner and fellow coach had the same procedure about a year ago and is back to snatching 255 (he is in his 40s and weighs about 200 lbs.). The procedure worked great for him. He has been diligent with his rehab and his shoulders are now rock solid and stronger than ever.

I'd say do some internet research on biceps tenodesis to learn more about it. While the reason for doing the same basic thing in your situation seems a little different, there does appear to be some good evidence it is a successful procedure and now even becoming preferred over re-attaching the long head of the biceps tendon to the labrum in many patients.

Last edited by Steven Wingo : 10-10-2015 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:00 AM   #3
Sean Rockett

Profile:

I have been doing biceps tenodeses on CrossFit athletes for years if the pathology dictates it. This means the age group being around 40 as stated or if the labral attachment is too damaged to repair. I have had people get back to CrossFitting and the Games with this technique. Labral repairs are also accepted but sometimes do not do as well in people over 40.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:36 PM   #4
Adam Richard

Profile:

I am not sure what is labral attachment procedure??

Steven, I am happy to hear about your box owner. Is he able to do muscle ups and pull ups with kipping? I am worried if attachment is stable enough to hold the stretch and weight of such movements

Wondering what do they do for throwing athletes like baseball players in case of such injuries.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:49 PM   #5
Sean Rockett

Profile:

SLAP repair is where the labrum is reattached to the glenoid or socket. Biceps tenodesis is done when the labrum cannot be reattached and the biceps is anchored to the arm near the socket.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:49 AM   #6
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Richard View Post
I am not sure what is labral attachment procedure??

Steven, I am happy to hear about your box owner. Is he able to do muscle ups and pull ups with kipping? I am worried if attachment is stable enough to hold the stretch and weight of such movements

Wondering what do they do for throwing athletes like baseball players in case of such injuries.
Yes, he can do all the movements again--ring muscle ups, bar muscle ups, handstand walks. He is able to kip just as before. He is an excellent Olympic lifter and Master athlete.

In terms of the strength of the repair, Sean Rockett can probably provide more info. But what I understand is the repair is stronger than a labral repair for many patients. They essentiallly drill a small hole in the humerous where they will attach the tendon, thread the tendon down in there, then "seal it up" with a screw. The bone then heals itself around it and you have a solid bony attachment. One reason it appears to be gaining more and more favor is that it is a stronger repair especially when you don't have good, healthy labral tissue to re-attach the long head of the biceps tendon where it is typically found with normal anatomy. Many people with SLAP tears have damage labral tissue--that is in fact what a SLAP tear really is--it means a Superior Labrum Anterior to Posterior tear.

Last edited by Steven Wingo : 10-15-2015 at 06:07 AM.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:49 PM   #7
Adam Richard

Profile:

I went to another Dr. He suggested this procedure

https://www.shoulderdoc.co.uk/article/1050

where transverse humeral ligament is repaired by stitching. He wasn't for cutting the biceps tendon, since he suggested it deforms the biceps.

He told me I will be off doing pullups at least 6 months.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:19 PM   #8
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Richard View Post
According to doc my biceps long tendon is out of groove. He wants to repair it as in the given link, putting a screw and cutting the tendon on top.

http://www.hiromisogo.com/wp-content...ss-final-B.png

I dont have much issues now, but sometimes the tendon gets out of the groove after some movements, and I get a painful month or so. I am wondering if there are any crossfitters who had this surgery before. Can they do kipping pull ups afterwards, is that screw going to hold all my crossfit exercises
I suggest a 2nd opinion.