CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
Tom Lau

Profile:
ECU Dislocation? Anyone else?

I have a ECU tendon dislocation on the pinky side of my wrist. I've gotten an MRI to confirm and living with the injury for now. There's no real fix for me except for surgery and that'll put me out for 9 months-1 year.

I injured it playing golf but there's all kinds of ways you can injure it. It limits my lifts now from deads, to snatches to cleans.

http://www.golfersavenue.com/disloca...n-golfers.html

It definitely pops in and out. Anyone else dealing with this?
Old 04-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
Mark Pieciak

Profile:
Re: ECU Dislocation? Anyone else?

I know I'm resurrecting a dead thread here, but I had to comment if this guy is still on the Crossfit boards.

I've had the worst journey ever with wrist injuries, and ECU subluxation is one of the issues I've had to deal with. It all came about by doing dumbbell cleans.

Essentially, the reason you get the dislocation/subluxation is because the sheath that holds the ECU tendon within it's groove has either: 1. torn or 2. stretched.

Movements that cause the subluxation are usually ulnar deviation and wrist extension (google these two phrases if you don't know what they mean).

If the sheath is torn, you could get surgery. The surgery would put the ECU back in the groove and take some ligament graft to aid the sheath in healing. Apparently recovery takes a LONG time. If it's either a tear or over-stretching, you could still deal with it conservatively.

In my case (where I had both ECU subluxation AND carpal instability), I decided to limit the movement in my wrists. I minimized extension, flexion, ulnar deviation, radial deviation, and rotation. In your case, I'd imagine limiting extension and ulnar deviation would suffice. I took up prolotherapy to help stabilize the joints in my wrists, which did help to an extent.

After some stability came back, I began working on my grip strength, which I still work on to this day. To work on grip with minimal wrist motion, I do static holds (e.g., suitcase carries with kettlebells) and movement of the fingers against resistance (e.g., squeezing grippers and squeezing/expanding my fingers while forearm-deep in a bucket of dry rice).

It's been months, maybe even a whole year since I've felt an ECU subluxation. Even then, it was extremely uncommon, and was so after I limited my movement and took up prolotherapy. Now, I can do a bit more wrist extension again, namely pushups, but I still avoid ulnar and radial deviation, as well as rotation. It's just second-nature now.

I'll probably never do clean again, but that's okay. I'll be deadlifting and squatting heavy, and doing snatches and cleans with kettlebells. Hope this helps.

As always, I am not a doctor.

Last edited by Mark Pieciak : 04-06-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:32 AM   #3
Paul J Doherty

Profile:
Re: ECU Dislocation? Anyone else?

Just in case someone comes across this thread...

My name is Paul and I recently suffered a similar injury (perilunate dislocation). I am in the middle of recovery but am posting the research I find and progress on my blog dedicated to the topic of wrist dislocation.

http://dislocatedwristrecovery.weebly.com/

It was really difficult to find information when this happened so this is my attempt to put together some useful and hopeful information.

If you are suffering from this or other serious injury, just look up Zach Krych if you need some inspiration https://youtu.be/Bj-gyl-e4y0

Mitchell - how is your recovery coming along?