CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
Jake Thorp

Profile:
Hmb

Any body experiment with HMB at all? thinking about giving it a shot but I havent found any research I can trust on it or many testimonials on it. Any one with info or experience/results with it let me know!

@yakethorp
Old 02-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
John Holcombe

Profile:
Re: Hmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Thorp View Post
Any body experiment with HMB at all? thinking about giving it a shot but I havent found any research I can trust on it or many testimonials on it. Any one with info or experience/results with it let me know!

@yakethorp
Read about it and read some studies. Consensus of what I read is combining HMB with your creatine might help a little bit in recovery. Creatine is much more proven. Most opinions were - if you have extra money and want to try it out go for it but don't expect anything crazy
Old 02-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
Kevin Bowman

Profile:

Chris Mason (AtLarge Nutrition) has it in the RESULTS product.

I can honestly say that my recovery and strength have improved since I started taking Results postWOD. In addition, I have noticed a change in my body composition at the same time, as well as others noticing the change.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
John Holcombe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Bowman View Post
Chris Mason (AtLarge Nutrition) has it in the RESULTS product.

I can honestly say that my recovery and strength have improved since I started taking Results postWOD. In addition, I have noticed a change in my body composition at the same time, as well as others noticing the change.
Just looked up this product. Noticed it has creatine and beta alanine as well which I know are both proven to work. Looks like a good combo of 3 ingredients that are great for crossfit - however it also contains 50g of sugar per serving?

I like to get some sugar postworkout but doesn't 50g seem kinda high? I'm sure Chris will comment on this product soon
Old 02-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
Kevin Bowman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holcombe View Post
Just looked up this product. Noticed it has creatine and beta alanine as well which I know are both proven to work. Looks like a good combo of 3 ingredients that are great for crossfit - however it also contains 50g of sugar per serving?

I like to get some sugar postworkout but doesn't 50g seem kinda high? I'm sure Chris will comment on this product soon
I take it immediately postWOD and before extra work (GHD, Good mornings, etc.) I also take 2 scoops on Nitrean+ after Results. I tried combining them, but my taste buds didn't like it.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:

50g of quick carbs is a reasonable amount for a PWO shake.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
Chris Mason

Profile:

I'm not real big on HMB by itself, but combining it with Beta-Alanine and or creatine does seem to product additive effects hence why I put it in RESULTS.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #8
Jeff Sprunger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
I'm not real big on HMB by itself, but combining it with Beta-Alanine and or creatine does seem to product additive effects hence why I put it in RESULTS.
I took HMB with creatine awhile back, got strong as hell. Gotta drink a ton of water while you are taking it though...
Old 02-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #9
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Quote:

I was also worried about this. I exchanged some e-mails with Chris and he convinced me to give it a go. Basically for my age, activity and work schedule/lack of sleep the extra sugar was apparently much needed.

Recovery is much improved, muscle endurance is up as well, and body comp is improving too. So, thumbs up.

FWIW that 50g of carbs is about 1/2 to 1/3 of my daily carb intake on average.

I liked the fruit punch/ chocolate nitrean combo, but the blue is a little weird so I separate them.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #10
Dan Thomas

Profile:

HMB is expensive. Not worth it, IMO, considering the cost per day... especially compared to the minimal cost of beta-alanine, creatine, omega 3, and other staples.

It also accounts for a much greater percentage of Results' price than the other ingredients, which from what I've gathered, are more beneficial.

I think it's one of those "if you have the money, why not?" but if you're at all concerned with budgeting and cost per day of your supplements, I think you'll put this one aside.