CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-13-2007, 01:54 AM   #1
Colm O'Reilly

Profile:
Does Crossfit have a preferred stretching methodology or recommended reading/videos?

I've been thinking about the 10 components and I'm wondering if flexibility is underworked. I'm certainly noticing that my hamstrings are limiting my squats so I'm curious as to what other limitations in my Range of Motion are effecting my athletic performance.

If anybody has any decent stretching advice/links please post away.

Thanks,
Colm
Old 07-13-2007, 05:53 AM   #2
Darren Zega

Profile:  
I always thought the same thing, but I come from a martial arts background with a huge emphasis on flexibility. Granted, the last time I did a full split was when I was fifteen, but I still try to maintain a high degree of flexibility (every orthopedist gets freaked out by how loose my knees are). In addition to the Crossfit warm up I do a stretching routine of mostly martial arts work with a few stolen moves from yoga, but I also go out of my way to stretch at random times during the day to maintain my flexibility.

Roger Harrell has put together a great page on gymnastics stretching (w/f safe) at http://www.drillsandskills.com/stretching.

One of these days I'll bring a camera with me to the dojo and post some pictures and instructions for a comprehensive martial arts stretching routine, as I have yet to see a good one online.

(Message edited by davion13 on July 13, 2007)
Old 07-13-2007, 06:04 AM   #3
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
I'd recommend to not stretch for a warmup (at least not the typical stretching most people think of).

An olympic coach referred me to the following page:
http://www.topendsports.com/medicine/stretching.htm
Old 07-13-2007, 06:09 AM   #4
Steven L Blondeau

Profile:
Colm,
The movement prep, stretching and recovery work from Verstegen's Core Performance work is outstanding. I do the movement prep along with the XF warmup before I do a WOD. When I started XF I cut my yoga practice back to one day a week and after three months I was feeling very kinked up. Now I do at least 30 minutes(sometimes over an hour) each morning and I feel much better. While I relish the meditative aspects of yoga a simple series of sun salutations can go a long way even if done just for the flexibility. Find what works best for you through trial and error.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:33 AM   #5
Roger Harrell

Profile:
In short. Stretch regularly (every day to multiple times/day). Stretch post workout. Stretch in normal movement patterns for joints (eg no side to side or twisting of the knee).

There's a journal article on stretching, as well as the page referenced above.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:12 AM   #6
John Maloney

Profile:
great topic. Coach should put together a crossfit approved program. I've never had good flexibility & probably suffer my lumbar issues at least partially because of it. I would love to get even close to a martial artists flexibility.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:23 AM   #7
Eric Allen Kerr

Profile:
I've added more stretching to my pre and post workouts, plus try to get up from a my desk and do a few stretches during the day.

Typically for me these days is:

Warm-up

Assorted dynamic stretches from Magnificent Mobility (usually about 8-10).

w/fs http://www.magnificentmobility.com/

Assorted joint mobility work from Z Health (mostly shoulders, elbows, and wrists, since MM doesn't cover that as well)

w/fs http://www.zhealth.net/

Post workout

I usually pick a series of stretches from Bob Andersen's "Stretching"

w/fs http://www.amazon.com/Stretching-20th-Anniversary-Bob-Anderson/dp/0936070226/ref =sr_1_15/103-4437788-2334201?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184350211&sr=8-15

On Rest Days:

Jonit Mobility work from one of the longer ZHealth programs

And also some alignment work that I picked up out of Paul D'Arezzo's "Posture Alignment".

w/fs http://www.amazon.com/Posture-Alignment-Paul-DArezzo/dp/0972907904/ref=sr_1_2/10 3-4437788-2334201?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184350338&sr=1-2

Old 07-13-2007, 11:43 PM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
I think the flexibility requirements of martial artists ( which will vary in itself as to what system/art ) or gymnasts or various other sports will differ from what Coach alluded to in a recent flexibility video off the front page. It was just a tidbit but it's something to keep in mind.

I do like a lot Eric's suggestions besides Rog's and a few of my own which overlaps quite often.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:28 AM   #9
Colm O'Reilly

Profile:
The video was to due with Contortion, which to me would suggest hyperextension of your joints.

I doubt Coach would disagree with an efficient flexibility program to enable someone to perform the movements like squats, shoulder presses, Oly Lifts.

Plus you'd probably be move efficient running/rowing as well with increased flexibility.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:12 PM   #10
Tom Ellison

Profile:
I think part of the problem is that people don't want to spend 30 minutes stretching after a 20-30 minute workout. Maybe some kind of routine with a few stretches involving many muscles and certain problem areas, i.e. tight hamstrings, etc.