CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-01-2006, 04:35 PM   #1
Josh Brehm

Profile:
After today's workout, I painfully realized how unflexible I really am, so I decided I need to devote good time after every workout to stretching so I can safely perform every exercise. What I did today, and what I'm looking to continue doing as a stretch routine is this: OHS shoulder stretch (standing with broomstick in OHS position stretch as far back as I can bout 3 times holding for about 5-10 seconds each time, and each time trying to get narrower), basic arm stretches each held for 15 sec, butterfly stretch 15s, side splits stretch 15s, lunge stretch 15s, hamstring stretch (1 leg on bench, reach forward as far as possible each leg) 15s, quad stretch 15s, calf stretch 15s.

I know this is vague, but I'm still a newbie to stretching. Only recently have I done anything in the way of a cooldown after my workouts.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:39 PM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Stretch as often as you can. Take a look at:
http://www.drillsandskills.com/stretching
for some different options for stretches.

For the broomstick, go really wide and roll through. It's a brookstick dislocate and is tremendously benificial. Narrow your grip to the point where you feel a stretch through the transition, but it should be smooth and controlled.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:59 PM   #3
Josh Brehm

Profile:
Thanks Roger. Would it make an impact on my gains if I were to only stretch after the WODs and not stretch on the rest days?
Old 08-01-2006, 08:17 PM   #4
Aimee Anaya

Profile:
Josh-
Stretching is major for training and acquiring proper form when doing your exercises.
broomstick and pvc pipes are great for OHS work, so that is a good start.

go to performancemenu.com for a super informative article (along with pictures) discussing the importance of stretching and flexibility in athletic performance and injury protection, along with different stretches you can do. Issue 15 has the first part of the article, continuing into issue 16.
I am sure you will learn tons...i did.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:02 AM   #5
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Josh,

Of course it will make an impact, but if you just stretch after the WODs you will be able to make good progress. Just be diligent and consistent. If you can find 5-10 minutes to stretch on rest days that would help a lot. Stretching everyday is more important than stretching hard periodically. Really it depends on how fast you want to gain flexibility. The more often you can stretch, the faster the flexibility will come (and it will be more persistent).
Old 08-02-2006, 08:47 AM   #6
Sean McDaniel

Profile:
Stretching after the workout is a great way to increase flexibility. Stretching before will help warm up and cut down on injuries, but you won't increase maximum flexibility very quickly stretching cold muscles. Stretching those warm tired muscles post-workout is where you can get that new range. (Obvious caveats apply about overstretching/straining/etc.)
Old 08-02-2006, 10:17 AM   #7
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
Don't forget that if you are going to do cold water recovery that you stretch BEFORE you jump in. The cold will help the muscle maintain the length you gain from stretching.