CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
Jerred Moon

Profile:
Anyone tried Blonyx?

I have been taking it for about 6 weeks and have definitely seen some decreased recovery times and increase in strength.

I am taking the HMB with creatine, looking to see how the HMB alone has been working for fellow crossfitters. Also, if anyone has been taking it for a long period of time I would be interested to get your opinion and insights.

Anyone else out there tried this product?

http://blonyx.com/ (WFS)
Old 04-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:
Re: Anyone tried Blonyx?

Both HMB and creatine work, but frankly, I find HMB to be too expensive for the results it gives.

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/5/1/1#B28 (WFS)

Quote:
The efficacy of HMB supplementation for experienced athletes
Several studies have found that HMB supplementation enhances LBM and indices of performance during resistance training, independent of training experience. Nissen et al. [28] investigated HMB supplementation on strength and body composition in trained and untrained males undergoing intense resistance training. Greater decreases in body fat and increases in LBM were found with HMB supplementation regardless of training status. Further, there was an overall 55% greater increase in bench press performance. Similarly, Panton et al. [38] examined the effects of HMB during resistance training in 36 women and 39 men, 20 to 40 years of age, with varying levels of training experience for 4 weeks. The HMB group decreased body fat to a greater extent (-1.1% vs. -.5%), and had greater increases in upper body strength (7.5 vs. 5.2 kg), and LBM (1.4 vs. .9 kg) than the placebo group, independent of training experience. Likewise, Thomson [39] found an increase in leg extension 1-RM relative to placebo (14.7% vs. 4.8%) after 9 weeks of strength training in 34 resistance trained men, while Neighbors et al. [40] reported that HMB decreased body fat and increased LBM in experienced football players.

Finally, Nissen and Sharp [41] performed a meta-analysis concerning dietary supplements postulated to augment lean mass and strength gains during resistance training. Studies between the years 1967 and 2001 were included, if they met their strict experimental criteria, including at least 3 weeks of resistance training, 2 or more times per week. Over 250 supplements were analyzed; however, only 6 met their criterion. Results found that only creatine (18 studies) and HMB (9 studies including both trained and untrained participants) had sufficient data supporting their ability to enhance LBM and various indexes of performance. They found that HMB supplementation at 3 grams per day resulted in a net increase of .28% and 1.4% per week for LBM and strength gains, respectively.

The efficacy of HMB has also been replicated in measures of performance in experienced endurance athletes. Vukovich and Geri [42] investigated the effects of HMB supplementation on peak oxygen consumption (VO2 peak) and the onset of blood lactate accumulation (OBLA) in eight endurance-trained master-level competitive cyclists, with an average training volume of 300 miles per week. Participants performed a graded cycle ergometer test until exhaustion. All participants performed 3, 2-week supplementation protocols consisting of either 3 grams of HMB, leucine, or a placebo daily, while continuing their normal training volume. Results from the graded exercise test indicated that HMB increased the time to reach VO2 peak (8%), while leucine and the placebo did not. The VO2 at 2 mM of lactate (OBLA) increased with HMB (9.1%) and leucine (2.1%), but not with the placebo. Likewise, Vukovich and Adams [43] found that 2 weeks of HMB supplementation in experienced cyclists increased both VO2 peak and the time to reach VO2 peak, while supplementation with leucine or a placebo did not change these measurements.

Knitter et al. [17] examined the effects of 3 grams of HMB or a placebo on muscle damage during a 20 km run in 16 experienced male and female long distance runners. Results showed a decrease in LDH and CK levels with the HMB supplemented participants compared to the non-supplemented participants. These results agreed with Byrd et al. [44] who found that HMB or HMB combined with creatine equally decreased the rise in muscle soreness following a 30 minute downhill run in 28 young, active males; while the creatine only and placebo group did not.
-0.6% BF more in 4 weeks. +0.28% in LBM. For $60/month. Frankly, while the results are consistent, they are kinda MEH. If it helps you recover and you have the money, god bless.

Last edited by Dimitri Dziabenko; 04-11-2012 at 02:36 PM..
Old 04-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
Rowan Minnion

Profile:

Hey guys. Dimitri, great comment!

I guess it depends on expectations. I carried out much of the research that you are quoting and found that nothing but Creatine and anabolic steroid use will produce equivalent/better results. I agree that Creatine is a more cost effective way to go as, unlike HMB which is regulated, Creatine is much cheaper... cheaper because it is mass produced, often at low quality, in industrial countries like China. I have tested some BAD creatine

In terms of the figures you quote, lets do the math...

0.28% gain in mass/week for a 200lb individual is 0.56lb increase/week OR over 2lb per month (without compounding). In my experience these numbers are actually high in the long term (to go from 200lb to 224lb in a year is unlikely unless you are untrained at the beginning).

1.4% strength is even more. Say I Deadlift 300lb. An increase of 1.4% per week (again without compounding) is 4.2lb... Per month is almost 17lb. Again, at that rate I would be lifting over 500lb within a year... again, unrealistic unless untrained in my experience.

You probably won't be surprised to know that the above figures are mainly from studies involving individuals just starting to lift weights, hence why these gains are quite high. Realistically I would say 0.1% in both strength and muscle gains from using HMB... Creatine about the same.

Hope this adds to the conversation
Old 04-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

I mean, the starting rate is not too bad, but do I personally believe that this rate of improvement will continue indefinitely, or over the course of a year, so that the compounding effect that you describe can take place?

I personally do not believe so. Just like gaining 4lb while creatine loading over a month, doesn't mean you'll gain 48lb over a year, or 96lb over 2 years.

If those gains continued in the long-term, are you kidding me, I'd jump on this stuff.

I deadlift 445 at a BW of 194lb (I know, working on it). If I got 1.4% per week for the next year, I'd deadlift
445*(1.014)^52 = 915lb a year from now. I think Chris Mason better watch out

Like I said, the results are consistent, but I don't think the extra benefit is worth the price. I am just not that rich.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan Minnion View Post
Hey guys. Dimitri, great comment!

I guess it depends on expectations. I carried out much of the research that you are quoting and found that nothing but Creatine and anabolic steroid use will produce equivalent/better results. I agree that Creatine is a more cost effective way to go as, unlike HMB which is regulated, Creatine is much cheaper... cheaper because it is mass produced, often at low quality, in industrial countries like China. I have tested some BAD creatine

In terms of the figures you quote, lets do the math...

0.28% gain in mass/week for a 200lb individual is 0.56lb increase/week OR over 2lb per month (without compounding). In my experience these numbers are actually high in the long term (to go from 200lb to 224lb in a year is unlikely unless you are untrained at the beginning).

1.4% strength is even more. Say I Deadlift 300lb. An increase of 1.4% per week (again without compounding) is 4.2lb... Per month is almost 17lb. Again, at that rate I would be lifting over 500lb within a year... again, unrealistic unless untrained in my experience.

You probably won't be surprised to know that the above figures are mainly from studies involving individuals just starting to lift weights, hence why these gains are quite high. Realistically I would say 0.1% in both strength and muscle gains from using HMB... Creatine about the same.

Hope this adds to the conversation
You are right, the reality is, there is only so much muscle you can build without steroids. It's much more than the untrained person on the street, but nothing compared to the some of the physiques we often see on the internet.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/res...ch-review.html (WFS)

At 5'11", I could realistically have no more than 186lb of LBM, and no amount of HMB is likely to change that.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #6
Jake Thorp

Profile:

I'm trying to advertise on your message board in violation of your site rules. If this continues, I'll get myself banned!