CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
James Georgiadis

Profile:
Smile Crossfit programming

Hi everyone,

I have been crossfitting for about 12 months now, but admittedly I have just been going with the flow doing WOD's whenever i feel like. Like a kid with candy, i cant help getting excited and doing 2 WODs in a day (before and after work) but i know this is probably a bad habit to get into.

I currently train anywhere from 8 - 10 sessions a week (twice daily) but i this is probably too much as i had some symptoms of overtraining. I took a 6 week break and now am itching to get back into it.

I plan on following the 3 on 1 off cycle as outlined in the CF training guide but had the following questions. I also need a lot of work on some skills (MU, HSPU, Clean, Snatch OHS, toes to bar just to name a few) to develop proper technique. I was hoping someone could answer the following questions.

1. Is it ok to do two sessions a day, for example a Metcon in the morning and a technique sessions in the afternoon. Or a stength lifting sessions and technique?

2. If i am doing a short but intense metcon, should i aim to supplement that with anything pre or post (not including warm up, cool down)

3. Any other hints/tips you could provide me?

My fitness goal is to be the best i can be, i would like to attempt the open next year to see how i go.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jimmy
Old 09-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
Stefan Pavlovic

Profile:
Re: Crossfit programming

Try to google optimum anabolics body-building program and find the 8 factors explained in that program.So those are
Factor 1 Hyper Adaptive Cycling
Factor 2 Body part training frequency
Factor 3 Training session length
Factor 4 Exercise selection and form
Factor 5 Number of sets and repetitions
Factor 6 Repetition speed
Factor 7 Rest cycles and diet
Factor 8 Diet
If you find them read 1,4,7,8 i think those could be used in any sports,not only bodybuilding.One more thing *i am not an expert and this is only my opinion and suggestion*(i only want to help)

Last edited by Stefan Pavlovic : 09-23-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
James Georgiadis

Profile:

Thanks Stefan, ill check it out
Old 09-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
Pearse Shields

Profile:

If you're looking to spend a bit longer working out in the gym, here's something that might work for you- I believe a fair number of affiliates use a similar model.

Warm-up and mobility work
Technique/skill work
Strength work
Conditioning
Cool-down/stretch

Plenty of volume and variety there to keep you interested. Always try do skill/technique work first, so that you are fresh and therefore able to get the most out of it.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
James Georgiadis

Profile:

Gday Pearse,

Thanks for that. So do you think i should include 3-4 metcons a week?
Old 09-24-2012, 03:14 AM   #6
Stefan Pavlovic

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
If you're looking to spend a bit longer working out in the gym, here's something that might work for you- I believe a fair number of affiliates use a similar model.

Warm-up and mobility work
Technique/skill work
Strength work
Conditioning
Cool-down/stretch

Plenty of volume and variety there to keep you interested. Always try do skill/technique work first, so that you are fresh and therefore able to get the most out of it.
Im very new to crossfit and i need to ask you to explain me "technique/strength/conditioning" I mean where can i find workouts for every sequence
Old 09-24-2012, 07:38 AM   #7
Mekenzie Lewis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Georgiadis View Post

1. Is it ok to do two sessions a day, for example a Metcon in the morning and a technique sessions in the afternoon. Or a stength lifting sessions and technique?

2. If i am doing a short but intense metcon, should i aim to supplement that with anything pre or post (not including warm up, cool down)

Jimmy
I've wondered this same thing. I feel similar to you-I like to do anything extra to help progress, but wonder if time is better spent on extra metcon or strength lifts. I usually do doubles 3x a week MWF I do metcon in the morning (stairs, sprints, burpees, DUs; some combination of these) plus the class WOD in the evenings. Tuesday I just do evening WODS and Thursday I usually rest completely. My gym is structured as mentioned: warm up/mobility, skill work, strength, metcon, cool down. So I get some strength work preWOD. I often stay after and do some extra lifts/body weight WODs-maybe a 5 minute AMRAP or something. I also am no pro, but this is what my coaches have suggested. Metcon is my main focus, increase endurance for WODs.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:

3. Any other hints/tips you could provide me?
1. Yes, doing that would be fine so long as you aren't doing 2 metcons per day. You can do 2 technique sessions per day though I wouldn't see the need to do 2 strength sessions per day unless you are splitting them up for some reason. A lot of this will depend on your time schedule and ability to recover. Make sure you are eating and hydrating if you want to keep this up. Many games competitors often do all 3 modalities per day.

2. Yes, you can. You can work strength and technique before or after but IMO, it's best to do them pre Metcon, even if it's something short like Fran.

3. Take a look at some other Programs likes CFFB, 70'sBig, GSLP, Outlaw, 531 to get an idea of what you can do and might do.