CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-12-2012, 06:06 AM   #21
Matt A. Windsor

Profile:
Re: Mother of God....

I agree with Dustin and Andrew. I've never worked out as hard as I have with CrossFit - and I used to powerlift as well.

@ our box we do as most others do - a 'mini workout' (though I'm finding the mini-workouts seem to be as tough as others' regular workouts - LOL) as a warmup. I can tell you for a fact that my mobility and flexibility has VASTLY increased, and injuries have all but gone away.

And I speak as a guy who has had no less than 8 surgeries - one of them (my shoulder) on May 25th of this year (scar tissue removed, part of left clavicle removed, and a bone spur removed orthoscopically). So yeah...warmups.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #22
Cam Kirkpatrick

Profile:

Matt-

AC joint from doing heavy bench? I'm getting my MRI next month on that, as well...
Old 09-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #23
Michael Capalbo

Profile:

Hey Cam, welcome to CrossFit and on here!

A few unsolicited thoughts on my end.

--If you can, join a box or hire a good personal trainer (to help you with the movements) who is an advocate of free weights. Thing is, there is technique involved even with the deadlift and squat, nevermind the olympic lifts. It matters less whether your trainer is an advocate of CrossFit and more whether he is proficient in the lifts and can teach you good form.

--I don't think the mainsight WODS are the best thing to be attempting, of course not Rx but usually not even scaled. Several movements in one workout is silly. What might be better for your WOD is (a) a warm-up, (b) a strength component--a few times a week, and (c) a short met-con consisting of *two* movements that complement each other (e.g., thrusters and pull-ups) and 30--45 reps of each movement.

Example for ONE week (you will mix it up week by week):

Monday: Back squat 5X5, 15-12-9 deadlifts and pushups. Use 60% of your 1-rep-max for the deadlift. If you don't know what that is, just take the weight you did for your heaviest 5-rep set of the back squat.

Tuesday: light skill work (e.g., double-unders).

Wednesday: Thrusters--15 minutes to find your 2-rep max. Then 15-12-9 thrusters (60%--70% of your 2-rep max) and pull-ups (scale to banded pull-ups if you need to).

Thursday: light skill work.

Friday: Deadlift--15 minutes to find your 2-rep max. Then do 3 rounds of 12 deadlifts at 60% of the 2-rep max weight you just achieved, and a 400-meter run.

Rest or light skill work over the weekend. Really, 3 intense days and one or two additional light days is plenty for now.

Throw in plenty of foam-roller work and massage-ball therapy in the meanwhile, especially whenever sore and after the intense days.

Again, you will mix it up and change around week-to-week. You will also work on pull-ups (weighted or with lighter or no bands), overhead carries, hand-stand pushups (scaled or no), front and overhead squats, and the presses for strength. You can also throw in rows (on a C2 erg), kettlebell swings, wall ball shots for the met-cons.

Last edited by Michael Capalbo : 09-12-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #24
Jim B Smith

Profile:

Hats off to you Cam for getting started! You're going to change your life if you stick with it!
Old 09-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #25
Matt A. Windsor

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Kirkpatrick View Post
Matt-

AC joint from doing heavy bench? I'm getting my MRI next month on that, as well...
I don't think so; my heaviest ever bench was like 265 or something.

Frankly, I think it was from several years of what are probably dumb lifting techniques, and I never did warmups prior to doing CrossFit. I first noticed it bugging me about mid-2011 - @ that point, I hadn't even seriously lifted weights (until beginning CrossFit in March of this year) for probably a good year or so.

In any event, I CAN tell you that since beginning CrossFit, any injuries I used to have (aside from my shoulder) are now minimized (e.g., used to throw my back out chronically; now the emphasis on core has all but eliminated that), and as far as my shoulder goes, I'm now about 3.5 months post-surgery, and I've actually EXCEEDED my previous max push press (used to be like 155 or so; now it's 175).
Old 09-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #26
Jason Denny

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Kirkpatrick View Post
And, FYI, I believe the term "burpees" should be replaced with the word "vomitees".
Ha, I did "The Seven" Tuesday RXed and it was a bear. The suck just snuck up on me. Wow. So much so that I had a brain fart and left my weights out...all 452lbs. Well my gym has a rule. 1 burpee for every lb of weight you leave out. my WOD today was 452 burpees for time...and hour of hell.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #27
Cam Kirkpatrick

Profile:

I can kick Rest Day's ***....
Old 09-13-2012, 06:41 AM   #28
Matt A. Windsor

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Denny View Post
Well my gym has a rule. 1 burpee for every lb of weight you leave out. my WOD today was 452 burpees for time...and hour of hell.
Mother of God...
Old 09-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #29
Nicole Anderson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Denny View Post
Ha, I did "The Seven" Tuesday RXed and it was a bear. The suck just snuck up on me. Wow. So much so that I had a brain fart and left my weights out...all 452lbs. Well my gym has a rule. 1 burpee for every lb of weight you leave out. my WOD today was 452 burpees for time...and hour of hell.
452 BURPEES????? I hate burpees but they are necessary even if they do suck!
Old 09-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #30
Matt A. Windsor

Profile:

That's what I said. Normally, with the varied programming @ our box, if we do that many burpees the entire MONTH, it's one for the record books. LOL I would hate to do that many in one freaking DAY. You have my respect.