CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-11-2012, 06:32 AM   #11
Cam Kirkpatrick

Profile:
Re: Mother of God....

Thanks, John, but it was small, and I really wasn't using it anyway.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:31 AM   #12
Russ Hillis

Profile:

Cam - maybe check and see if there's someone doing Crossfit up @ CFB Cold Lake for access to an instructor, I'm thinking that might be your closest place. Otherwise, you and I are stuck with the same problem, out in the boonies on our own. You're braver than I though. I do elements of Crossfit, I don't go whole hog - 'cause I'm woosie and a wannabe tri-athlete. Still a wimp on the pull ups & one of these days I'm gonna hit the Rx'd weight on something... maybe
Old 09-11-2012, 08:56 AM   #13
Cam Kirkpatrick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
seriously you need to stop before you injure yourself. you are doing it wrong. you obviously need to read and learn and understand before you continue to just blindly attempt to follow mainsite programming incorrectly. today's workout was a hero wod, and they are supposed to be crazy hard, even for the advanced and elite athletes. you need to read all the FAQ on mainsite. then you need to watch the videos. subscribe to the CF journal and check out as much of that as you can. as for now, the most important thing you need to learn is the concept of scaling. check out BrandX scaling for your appropriate workouts. it is not cheating to modify the workouts. it is smart and recommended. no one can just jump into doing workouts RX'd, nor should they try. not only are you going to hurt yourself, but you are actually going to slow down and limit your progress. you will make better gains much faster by scaling correctly. i am not trying to be mean or rude, i am trying to help you. just attacking the mainsite WOD everyday with no warmup, no skill work, no mobility work to address issues you admit you have, not concern for working around limits and injuries, and not attempting to scale the workout to your level is a recipe for disaster. i am glad you are excited about CF and that you are willing to work hard and are motivated to get in shape, but you need to go about it the right way. what you are doing is not going to produce the results you want and is not in line with the intent of CF.
Andrew-
I take no offense to a guy that's trying to look out for my best interests... I truly appreciate it.
I went through the FAQ's when I first started thinking about crossfit, and I've been goint through the appropriate videos for each exercise. Believe me- if I wasn't 2 1/2 hours from my nearest box (haven't seen anything in Cold Lake, and I'm under the impression that the CAF ihas moved away from Crossfit...)), I'd be there in a heartbeat.
Fortunately, I have a couple of things in my favour; First, I have some experience working out- I know my body, and what I'm capable of. I've never really injured myself in the gym (shoulder and back are from my days in the Yukon as a Corrections Officer). I've also done similar things before- both as a Corrections Officer and in my 11 years in the military. Second, and I can't stress this enough, I'm a colossal pantywaist. I'm highly unlikely to drive myself so hard that I suffer an injury- I hate pain.
As I don't have access to a box, I really don't have any choice- what I did today for all these exercises was my idea of "scaling"- and, once I realized my thrusters were not being done with good form, I dropped the weight by almost half. I can still do a 315 bench, but I chose not to- after one, my form blows. I'd much rather top out at 275 with good form.
I just don't know if there's another answer. BTW- I also have never been a proponent of stretching, and I believe the studies that say it does more harm than good. Of course, there's some possibility that I believe them because I WANT to believe them......
Old 09-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #14
Russ Hillis

Profile:

Cam, stepson's is @ the CMTC in Waiwright and I was under the impression that they do or were doing CF about once a week as part of their PT. That might be a CMTC thing though.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #15
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Kirkpatrick View Post
Andrew-
I take no offense to a guy that's trying to look out for my best interests... I truly appreciate it.
I went through the FAQ's when I first started thinking about crossfit, and I've been goint through the appropriate videos for each exercise. Believe me- if I wasn't 2 1/2 hours from my nearest box (haven't seen anything in Cold Lake, and I'm under the impression that the CAF ihas moved away from Crossfit...)), I'd be there in a heartbeat.
Fortunately, I have a couple of things in my favour; First, I have some experience working out- I know my body, and what I'm capable of. I've never really injured myself in the gym (shoulder and back are from my days in the Yukon as a Corrections Officer). I've also done similar things before- both as a Corrections Officer and in my 11 years in the military. Second, and I can't stress this enough, I'm a colossal pantywaist. I'm highly unlikely to drive myself so hard that I suffer an injury- I hate pain.
As I don't have access to a box, I really don't have any choice- what I did today for all these exercises was my idea of "scaling"- and, once I realized my thrusters were not being done with good form, I dropped the weight by almost half. I can still do a 315 bench, but I chose not to- after one, my form blows. I'd much rather top out at 275 with good form.
I just don't know if there's another answer. BTW- I also have never been a proponent of stretching, and I believe the studies that say it does more harm than good. Of course, there's some possibility that I believe them because I WANT to believe them......
Everything was sounding good up until that last part. If you continue to crossfit, dynamic warm-ups, mobility work AND stretching should be an everyday activity. ESPECIALLY if you've got shoulder or back issues. Trust me (and everyone else) the foam roller/lacrosse ball and bands should be your best friends. Odds are if you've been doing a standard body building split type workout with nearly no cardio, stretching or mobility. Then I'm willing to bet your hip, ankle and shoulder flexibility are poor at best (I could be entirely wrong). Which when it comes to a proper front rack for cleans or maintaining a solid bottom position on snatches or overhead squats then good mobility is essential (on top of the fact that you'll just feel better if you do it). I know I'm just speculating but don't fight this one, good luck.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #16
Glenn Pasewicz

Profile:

Quote:

Managed four sets, and it only took 45 minutes. Fairly sure I left a testicle in the gym, too.
Everyone's got to start somewhere.

The replies thus far seem to veer away from, "If you find the notion of falling off the rings and breaking your neck so foreign to you, then we don't want you in our ranks."

Based on your experiences, as long as you listen to your inner voice you shouldn't have any problems. Do the exercises/movements you know you can, and go easy with those you're unfamiliar with, or skip them altogether and substitute a reasonable facsimile.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #17
Cam Kirkpatrick

Profile:

Thanks, Boyos...

Although it goes against all I hold dear, I swear- I will do some form of stretches/ warm up every day (does slurping a Tim Horton's coffee count?).
Dustin, you are correct- my flexibility is someone like the Tin Man from Wizard of Oz. Doing the overhead squats the other day was a joke... as my normal warm-up squat (back when I did them, pre-back injury) was 225 for 20, I thought I'd just use 135. Pfft. Ended up with the Olympic bar with nothing on it. Apparently, my core isn't quite as solid as one might prefer....
I play poker with a couple of guys from CFB Cold Lake- I'll ask them what the skinny is.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #18
Cam Kirkpatrick

Profile:

And, FYI, I believe the term "burpees" should be replaced with the word "vomitees".
Old 09-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #19
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Andrew-
i never said anything about stretching. i pretty much feel the same way about traditional stretching. what i said was warmup, skill work, and mobility.

as to your idea of scaling, that is fine, but you obviously don't understand it correctly. the fact that it took you 45 minutes to do what you described shows that you did not scale correctly. and taking 45 minutes to do such a workout will not really help you improve your fitness.

if you want to learn then we are here. if you want to do your thing then do it. it is your life and your workout. i am not going to argue with you. just don't blame crossfit when you don't get the results you want or when you get injured.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #20
Mara Rozitis

Profile:

Quote:
Seriously?

Today's WOD was ridiculous.

7 Handstand pushups- I managed zero.(in my defense, I have a shoulder issue...).
7 Thrusters @ 135- I did two sets at 95, knew I was cheating, so dropped all the way down to 45. Squeezed them out okay.
7 knees to elbows- mine look suspiciously like knees to somewhere slightly above hips.
245 lb deads- I did 135 lbs (in my defense, I also have a herniated disk...)
7 burpees- yep.
7 kettleball swings, 2pood- used 60 lb. dumbell
7 pull ups- no chance. Did four each set.

Managed four sets, and it only took 45 minutes. Fairly sure I left a testicle in the gym, too.
Hi Cam and welcome to CrossFit! I will give you an example of how I would scale this workout for myself. You want to make sure you still do some form of exercise for each of those listed, that will eventually build up your ability to do them as prescribed. I am a female who has been doing this for a couple of years and still have to scale heavily, but not nearly as heavily as I used to!
HSPU-I would do kneeling pike pushups from a box or DB shoulder presses.
Thrusters-yep, very light.
K2E-You're on the right track-just make sure you pick a height for your legs to get above and don't accept any reps that are short of that mark.
Deadlifts-yep, scaled weight.
Burpees-Buck Furpees! Good job. They suck.
KBS-These are tough with DB I find, so good on you that you managed with 60#.
Pullups-I would either do ring rows (body rows) or use a band for assistance.

It's important to use scaling for every exercise and BrandX is a great resource. If you only do the exercises you can do and skip the rest you are not really helping yourself to improve. It's normal to be sore but not so sore you can't work out after a day or two of rest. Good luck!