CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-10-2012, 06:09 AM   #1
Cam Kirkpatrick

Profile:
Mother of God....

Male, 52, 5'10", 180- Alberta, Canada. Been lifting weights on and off my whole life. I've NEVER done cardio, and thought maybe it was time to try to actually get fit.
This stuff is brutal. All the times I've stopped doing weight training and then started up again, I've NEVER been this sore.
My first question (of, I'm sure, many...) is- is the WOD it? Don't get me wrong- I'm nowhere near doing the WOD at even 50% of the weights/ reps, but it just seems odd that an entire workout only takes about 15 minutes. Right now, I'm still doing my weights in addition, but I'd just as soon save that energy and put it into crossfit....
Thanks for any replies.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:19 AM   #2
Alina Pak

Profile:
Re: Mother of God....

Hi Cam!

Are you doing Crossfit by yourself or at a box? If you do it at a box with other people and a coach, we usually do a warm up together, the WOD, and then a finisher at the end.

And you're right. The WOD is "short." Some workouts can take less than ten minutes. The important thing to keep in mind, however, is the intensity level that the workout takes. A 15-minute workout at 100% intensity is so much more effective than a 60-minute workout at 30% intensity. If the exercises you're doing are taking all of your strength and stamina, 15-minutes will feel like forever.

Wait 'til you try Fran!
Old 09-10-2012, 06:25 AM   #3
Cam Kirkpatrick

Profile:

Alina-
I'm all by myself, working out at the local gym (fairly well equipped). I like it, because I go in at about 4:30 a.m, so I'm pretty much by myself- and now that I'm trying to learn new exercises, the less eyes watching me drop the olympic bar when I use a false grip during the snatch, the better.
Wait a minute... warm up? Never heard of it....
Old 09-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
Tristan Hoyle

Profile:

Those 15 Minutes are it. A lot of boxes though program additional strength work before the WOD's. Not a bad idea, especially seeing your current struggles with some of the weights. If you give it your all in those 15 minutes, you will see much greater cardiovascular improvements than hours of a light jog.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
Alina Pak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Kirkpatrick View Post
Alina-
I'm all by myself, working out at the local gym (fairly well equipped). I like it, because I go in at about 4:30 a.m, so I'm pretty much by myself- and now that I'm trying to learn new exercises, the less eyes watching me drop the olympic bar when I use a false grip during the snatch, the better.
Popular warm ups that we do are jumping rope, line drills, and a lot of different stretching exercises to get you ready for the WOD. The line drills include broad jump burpees, bear crawls, lunges, etc.

A popular finisher is a tabata exercise (10 seconds of rest b/w 20 seconds of "work," ie situps, planks, etc.).

I highly recommend you join a box if at all possible. Having a group of really motivated people cheer you on is great, and so is having a coach who will make sure you're using proper technique and form.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
David Sigmon

Profile:

All of the boxes I've visited have been:

Warmup / Mobility (various styles here) and around 10-15 minutes in length. I like a 500m row then dynamic stretching.

Strength / Skill (15-30 minutes) Normally one lift to focus on such as squat, dead, presses etc) or a gymnastic movment such as pullups, hand stand pushups, muscle ups etc.

WOD - various time domains and dependent on how you scheduled your strength/skill work. WODs are normally based off of strength component. for example if you did squats in your strength, the WOD would consist of air squats, box jumps, lunges, etc...something where leg use is invovled.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Alina-
you should try reading the FAQ's before you start a program... you might also consider looking into more complete programming than mainsite... CFFB, GSLP, Crossfit Endurance, Outlaw, or one of the many boxes that post their workouts online. be sure to check out mobilitywod.com.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:16 AM   #8
Cam Kirkpatrick

Profile:

Seriously?

Today's WOD was ridiculous.

7 Handstand pushups- I managed zero.(in my defense, I have a shoulder issue...).
7 Thrusters @ 135- I did two sets at 95, knew I was cheating, so dropped all the way down to 45. Squeezed them out okay.
7 knees to elbows- mine look suspiciously like knees to somewhere slightly above hips.
245 lb deads- I did 135 lbs (in my defense, I also have a herniated disk...)
7 burpees- yep.
7 kettleball swings, 2pood- used 60 lb. dumbell
7 pull ups- no chance. Did four each set.

Managed four sets, and it only took 45 minutes. Fairly sure I left a testicle in the gym, too.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:29 AM   #9
John C Corona

Profile:

Cam, I love the title of your thread.

The 7's wod is one of the hardest wods EVER, IMO. But keep in mind, since you're starting, scale down to the lightest weights 1st. Get real good at thrustering the bar only, and in no way go to 95, UNTIL you have done 55, 65, 75, perfectly and comfortably. You can try the heavier stuff before the wod, but when you are going for time, its ok to go lighter, really.

Look at brandx (wfs) where they scale for different levels: http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index..../viewforum/16/

...you can always call the gym today and see if your testicle is in the lost n found.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:31 AM   #10
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Seriously?

Today's WOD was ridiculous.

7 Handstand pushups- I managed zero.(in my defense, I have a shoulder issue...).
7 Thrusters @ 135- I did two sets at 95, knew I was cheating, so dropped all the way down to 45. Squeezed them out okay.
7 knees to elbows- mine look suspiciously like knees to somewhere slightly above hips.
245 lb deads- I did 135 lbs (in my defense, I also have a herniated disk...)
7 burpees- yep.
7 kettleball swings, 2pood- used 60 lb. dumbell
7 pull ups- no chance. Did four each set.

Managed four sets, and it only took 45 minutes. Fairly sure I left a testicle in the gym, too.
seriously you need to stop before you injure yourself. you are doing it wrong. you obviously need to read and learn and understand before you continue to just blindly attempt to follow mainsite programming incorrectly. today's workout was a hero wod, and they are supposed to be crazy hard, even for the advanced and elite athletes. you need to read all the FAQ on mainsite. then you need to watch the videos. subscribe to the CF journal and check out as much of that as you can. as for now, the most important thing you need to learn is the concept of scaling. check out BrandX scaling for your appropriate workouts. it is not cheating to modify the workouts. it is smart and recommended. no one can just jump into doing workouts RX'd, nor should they try. not only are you going to hurt yourself, but you are actually going to slow down and limit your progress. you will make better gains much faster by scaling correctly. i am not trying to be mean or rude, i am trying to help you. just attacking the mainsite WOD everyday with no warmup, no skill work, no mobility work to address issues you admit you have, not concern for working around limits and injuries, and not attempting to scale the workout to your level is a recipe for disaster. i am glad you are excited about CF and that you are willing to work hard and are motivated to get in shape, but you need to go about it the right way. what you are doing is not going to produce the results you want and is not in line with the intent of CF.