CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-07-2012, 08:25 PM   #11
Donna Wilson

Profile:
Re: nervous as hell!!!!

Check out a guy from my gym, he started at 340lbs and lost over 100lbs in a year. Before and after photos at the bottom of the page. link (WFS)
Old 09-08-2012, 04:49 AM   #12
Steve Higgins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Wilson View Post
Check out a guy from my gym, he started at 340lbs and lost over 100lbs in a year. Before and after photos at the bottom of the page. link (WFS)
Wow!! That's incredible. I mean NO disrespect whatsoever by this... I am not fat like that. I have more of an overweight football player build. But man, if that guy can do it I have no right to be such a pu$$y about it. I guess I lack the confidence in myself anymore but come Monday I will find out what I'm made of.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #13
Kate Head

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Higgins View Post
But man, if that guy can do it I have no right to be such a pu$$y about it. I guess I lack the confidence in myself anymore but come Monday I will find out what I'm made of.
Thats the spirit Steve, Go for it. Everyone starts somewhere. Think of the brilliant progress you get to make.

You will be ripping through all the girls in no time. (yes the cross fit term)

Keep us posted and good luck monday. One rep at a time buddy thats all it takes.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #14
Kevin Malloy

Profile:

Steve
From your post I'm pretty sure you realize you have to make a change. With that crossfit will work for anybody. Will some of the workouts suck for you....sure will but they'll get easier as you drop pounds. Here's the thing though you'll come in and kill some workouts cause your strong. Whether you go with crossfit or not though the best thing to remember is that you'll never exercise away a bad diet.....so diet is where I'd start.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #15
Dave Eiger

Profile:

The thing that keeps me going is I know no matter how slow I go I always do a lot better then the people sitting at home not doing anything at all. It will be hard and you will hit a wall. The walls are there to keep out the people who don't want it bad enough. Go get better!

Dave
Old 09-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #16
Steve Higgins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate Head View Post
Thats the spirit Steve, Go for it. Everyone starts somewhere. Think of the brilliant progress you get to make.

You will be ripping through all the girls in no time. (yes the cross fit term)

Keep us posted and good luck monday. One rep at a time buddy thats all it takes.
Thanks Kate!!
Old 09-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #17
Steve Higgins

Profile:

I just want to thank everyone here who took the time out to respond. You all have had positive things to say to me. I know it's time to step it up. What I've been doing for the last 10yrs obviously hasn't worked. I always do what's Comfortable for me. I'm nervous but also excited about what crossfit will bring for me physically. I'm going to kill it everytime. I know there is a lobster hiding under this blubber and I any wait to show it off.
Stay tuned for updates (and some pics if I can figure out how to do that)........
Old 09-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #18
John McNight

Profile:

I will go against the grain and say that I don't think CF is right for beginners unless the programming is ON POINT. With the amount of variation in the WOD's, very weak, incompetent lifters will never get an opportunity to become decent at anything. They will forever find themselves scaling and the only benefit they will ever get is cardiovascular conditioning (and if you want my opinion there are much easier ways to go about that they flinging around barbells with incorrect form).

However, to me it sounds like you already are competent with basic barbell lifts and have an above average level of strength. CF "should" (dependent on the programming) allow you to maintain that level of strength and improve other areas of fitness.

Good luck
Old 09-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #19
Steve Higgins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McNight View Post
I will go against the grain and say that I don't think CF is right for beginners unless the programming is ON POINT. With the amount of variation in the WOD's, very weak, incompetent lifters will never get an opportunity to become decent at anything. They will forever find themselves scaling and the only benefit they will ever get is cardiovascular conditioning (and if you want my opinion there are much easier ways to go about that they flinging around barbells with incorrect form).

However, to me it sounds like you already are competent with basic barbell lifts and have an above average level of strength. CF "should" (dependent on the programming) allow you to maintain that level of strength and improve other areas of fitness.

Good luck
I hear your stance and agree that its a valid point. In my case however, I have been lifting for quite awhile including deads, squats, cleans etc.... Picked that up since football back in my hay days and im actually looking forward to benefiting from the cardiovascular part of it. I always choose a lighter weight and proper form over an ego driven lift with a weight i have no business touching. Im convinced crossfit is what ive been looking for.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:56 AM   #20
John C Corona

Profile:

Today is your day buddy. Dont sweat it beforehand....just relax yourself, and be happy today is the 1st day of the rest of your life.

Let us know how it was, and how that inner athlete feels now. Not that bad huh?