CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #1
Matt B Johnson

Profile:
Anyone weight train and WOD?

Hey guys,
I've been doing crossfit at my local box for a week now and am having a blast. It's definitely a hell of a challenge and I'm enjoying every minute of it. Prior to crossfit I only weight lifted though and I want to keep my strength up and try to continue to get stronger and don't feel as though the WOD alone will do this for me. Does anyone here lift in addition to crossfit? I know some professionals such as Froning do this, but I have no idea on where to start on a plan to lift and crossfit without overdoing it. Any feedback is appreciated!
Old 09-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
Re: Anyone weight train and WOD?

all good programs do this. good training includes improving strength. if your box doesn't include regular strength training then you should speak to the coach and ask why, and they discuss how you can add it in. if you want examples of programs that include it take a look at Outlaw, CrossFit Football, GSLP, OPT, etc. If you are happy with the strength you have and simply want to maintain your current strength and size (not concerned with getting alot bigger or stronger) then it should be as simple as scaling the weights up during the workouts at your box. for instance, say a WOD included 15 push presses at 95lbs, you could scale it to be 15 at 135lbs, or 5 at 225, or whatever depending on your strength. just like people that aren't yet able to do RX'd scale down, it is fine if you scale up. of course in order for this to work you have to be more concerned about improving your fitness than you are about competing on every workout with others in the box. if you just want to do the WOD with everyone else, then you will need to do some simple lifting on your own.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

0.5) You are very new so your gym may be doing something about strength work and you are not familiar with it. At CrossFit gyms most of us focus on max strength as apposed to body building routines. If you are use to a body building type workout ours will seem short, but they are much heavier and good for building strength.

1) If you are paying to be a member of an affiliate gym then it is their job to help you with this.

2) A little vocabulary:

CrossFit = The whole program. Heavy lifting, metabolic conditioning (met-cons), skill work, nutrition, sleep and days off and so on.

W.O.D. = Work out of the day. This is one days workout. It could contain heavy lifting, a met-con, skills practice. Crossfit.com publishes a WOD on a 3 on 1 off schedule.

At my gym the WOD will often look like:

Strength: Bench 5-5-5

W/U: 1 x west valley warm up

Met-con: Death by Burpees

So you can see one WOD has several different components of the CrossFit program. We lift heavy 3 or 4 days a week followed by shorter met-cons. Then 1 or 2 days a week we do longer met-cons, skill practice, Olympic weightlifting and so on.

All my people who had been lifting for years have had their strength go up under our program because most gyms like Gold's our L.A. Fitness have a lot of people going body building stuff not pure strength stuff. So unless your coming from a hardcore power lifting gym you will most likely get stronger.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
Pearse Shields

Profile:

What is the CrossFit gym you go to? What does their WOD usually involve? If it's nothing but conditioning, then yes, extra strength work is highly beneficial.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
Jesse Martin

Profile:

If your box only programs metcon WOD's and never does strength work in isolation I would consider a new box.

From an affiliate perspective it's got to be hard to program that stuff. A lot people just see CF as metcons and such and fail to understand the importance of strength (which is a shame) and ultimately if you don't cater to the demand of your customers they will leave.

In my opinion CF football or one of the conjugate methods is the perfect type of programming for anyone serious about being athletic. The place I go doesn't do that, unfortunately but they do enough strength work that I can at least maintain strength.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
Matt B Johnson

Profile:

My box does include a lot of lifts... I just don't feel like it is going to keep the mass that I have and that it's going to be hard to put anymore mass on. I just want to push myself further.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #7
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Mass is mostly about caloric balance, but if you're interested in extra strength work, I'd recommend Wendler's 5/3/1. The "Triumvirate" may be an option you're interested in. Chances are if you come from a BB background you might enjoy the programming options available.