CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 12-17-2011, 08:22 AM   #11
Elizabeth Hall

Profile:
Re: Hip slide! How to correct?

Brain, I've see a chiro here for almost a year. Sometimes, I'll go in and one leg will be a little longer and he'll adjust me and I'll leave even again. My hips are also shifted/tilted forward on my right side. I've carried all 4 of my kids on my right :/
Old 12-17-2011, 03:54 PM   #12
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Nichols View Post
What would be your next move? I tried this and found my left ankle is working more. What doest it mean? I do'nt have trouble with any lifts or inflexabelity.

Is it not true we are side dominant so naturaly one side will be a bit stronger?
You saying that you don't have any mobility problems is not enough, being evaluated properly would be needed. But lets say, that is the case. Next step would be working on stability of the hips first.
One side may be naturally "stronger", but stability is less about strength, and more about sequencing of muscle contraction.
What I wrote was a simple way to get started, not the one and only way to assess. It could mean that you have a stability problem with your L hip. But there's more that could be done to assess properly.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #13
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Hall View Post
Brain, I've see a chiro here for almost a year. Sometimes, I'll go in and one leg will be a little longer and he'll adjust me and I'll leave even again. My hips are also shifted/tilted forward on my right side. I've carried all 4 of my kids on my right :/
Obviously your body could have compensated from you carrying all of your children on one side. I'm not a big proponent of the foot checks, to each his own.
Your hip could also come forward as a result of pronating your right foot. Flat footed?
Old 12-17-2011, 09:05 PM   #14
Elizabeth Hall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
Obviously your body could have compensated from you carrying all of your children on one side. I'm not a big proponent of the foot checks, to each his own.
Your hip could also come forward as a result of pronating your right foot. Flat footed?
OMG, I honestly never checked. I just checked and yeah I'm quite flat footed!
Old 12-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #15
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
You saying that you don't have any mobility problems is not enough, being evaluated properly would be needed. But lets say, that is the case. Next step would be working on stability of the hips first.
One side may be naturally "stronger", but stability is less about strength, and more about sequencing of muscle contraction.
What I wrote was a simple way to get started, not the one and only way to assess. It could mean that you have a stability problem with your L hip. But there's more that could be done to assess properly.
Na, I totally understand you are not posting the one and only fix. Just not totally understanding what to do after you find a weakness.

Sorry to hijack Elizabeth.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:24 AM   #16
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Nichols View Post
Na, I totally understand you are not posting the one and only fix. Just not totally understanding what to do after you find a weakness.

Sorry to hijack Elizabeth.
Well simply, you need to strengthen it. But like I said before, if it's a stability issue, its not about "weak" muscles, it's more about the sequencing of muscles.

Consider your car. The steps to drive as follows; Open door, key in ignition, foot on brake, turn key. If you miss one of those steps, the car doesn't start. It's not broken, but the sequence is not correct.

Your muscles may not be weak, but the sequencing of contractions may not be correct. So just strengthening your glute, or adductors, for instance may not improve the condition, if that was NOT your primary issue.

That help?

Elizabeth, find a podiatrist to get fitted for orthotics. The chiro may be able to do that too. I'd start at the foot and work my way up.