CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 12-15-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
Elizabeth Hall

Profile:
Hip slide! How to correct?

I've been doing CF for 2 years. I do a hip slide ALL the time. DL, clean, air squat, anything. It's always sliding the same direction. I've been having someone "punch" my hip to correct it in a squat but that's starting to not work. I'm not sure why I do this and how in the world to fix it.

Link is WFS

http://youtu.be/qoquBHexIK8
Old 12-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
Anthony Rubino

Profile:
Re: Hip slide! How to correct?

Elizabeth,

I think the slide is a result of your knee's (your left more than your right). I suggest you really focus on driving the knee's out and keeping them there. You can practice this by spending time in the bottom of a squat (no bar), keep your hamstrings active, chest up and drive your knee's out with your elbows.

Tony
Old 12-15-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
Elizabeth Hall

Profile:

Tony, I am pretty flexible and can hang out in the bottom of a squat for quite awhile. I will work on this though!
Old 12-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
Brian D Williams

Profile:

Definitely agree on pushing those knees out hard - they are caving in and then most likely your right leg is stronger and you are putting more weight on that leg and shifting your hips causing the slide.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
Ian Nigh

Profile:

After ruling out structural issues (leg length discrepancy, scoliosis, etc), work to strengthen your external rotation and address the muscle imbalance that causes this. Recommended exercises might be bulgarian split squats, sumo stance deadlifts, russian lunges, etc.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
Nik Nichols

Profile:

A buddy of mine has that same issue but he is really inflexable. So I am not sure it is the same core issue.

What I saw is you knees (like already stated) if you rewatch and rewatch and look only at your knees, they seem to lead the ''slide''. You left one goes in then your right then your hips.

I am not sure if it is one leg stronger then the other but it might be a factor. I would address that last after working form till you are sick of it. I bet you have a problem with your knees going in on heavy squat.

Really work the knees out.

How to do this. From the standing position, first thing to move should be your hips( think sitting down or closing a car door with your rear) as soon as your hips go at the top, push your knees out and fight them out through out the whole squat.

Going down from the dop of the squat pushing your knees out will fell easy and almost poingless, but it is important to set up the bottom of the squat and coming back up.

At the bottom your knees will want to come in and ''drift'' the hips. Fight it at the bottom. It will happen but with practice it will change and get better. I know I had my knees going in on the squat too. Took about a month or more of constant practice to get it to working. I did all squat with this in mind. Air, front, back every time I squatted I though knees out from the top.

Doing this will help you squt too, When you knees go in at the bottom it releases tention on you hams and it become quad dominant, not good for a squat. Knees out keep the hams tight and you will squat more and better.

Sorry for the long post, give it a try, video you practicing it and see for yourself.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
Neil Kanterman

Profile:

Agree with all above about the knees.

One other little niggling thing about the video. Whoever is telling you to exhale as you come up out of the hole...don't listen to her. Keep your air in your belly and stay tight for the entire lift. Exhaling on the way up will just make it hard for you to keep tight for the lift.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
Brian Strump

Profile:

Alot of the above may be helpful, but if it's an issue of muscle sequencing or hip stability issue, and not strength, the same thing may happen with your deadlifts, box jumps and other movement.

Stand with your feet together and lift each leg, one at a time(obviously) with your hip and knee at 90 degrees. Do you notice one side working more than the other in the hip or ankle? One side in general more difficult than the other? This would be my next move if after poor mobility of the hips, knees and ankles have been ruled out.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #9
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
Alot of the above may be helpful, but if it's an issue of muscle sequencing or hip stability issue, and not strength, the same thing may happen with your deadlifts, box jumps and other movement.

Stand with your feet together and lift each leg, one at a time(obviously) with your hip and knee at 90 degrees. Do you notice one side working more than the other in the hip or ankle? One side in general more difficult than the other? This would be my next move if after poor mobility of the hips, knees and ankles have been ruled out.
What would be your next move? I tried this and found my left ankle is working more. What doest it mean? I do'nt have trouble with any lifts or inflexabelity.

Is it not true we are side dominant so naturaly one side will be a bit stronger?
Old 12-17-2011, 08:13 AM   #10
Elizabeth Hall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post

Brian, I did this (basically bringing my ankle to my knee at a right angle) and both sides are the same. I absolutely do this in deadlifts and even air squats (when I'm tired) Glad you chimed in!

Neil, makes sense! I will remember this. Thanks