CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-02-2012, 07:28 AM   #1
Michael R. Miller

Profile:
Affiliate Programming-Best Out There

Ok so I decided itís time for a little experiment. Every six weeks I am going to pick a different affiliate and follow their programming. I think this should be fun and I will not reveal the name of the affiliate until after the 6 weeks is over I will list my PRs now and at the end and beginning of the 6 weeks, I will be starting this on Monday in the workout log part of the board should be interesting to see. Let me know if you guys have questions or comments, or want to see a certain affiliates programming put to the test before you follow it.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #2
Dave Traeger

Profile:
Re: Affiliate Programming-Best Out There

What are you trying to achieve here? Is it just for fun?
I'd say you need more than 6 weeks on a program to see results from it?

But given most affiliates program random metcons, maybe it doesnt matter much?
Old 03-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

Fun and curiosity, I debated between 6 and 8. I chose 6 because I have a short attention span. 4 is to short and 12 is too long. Its opinion no basis of facts.

Woops forgot to list current PRs

Squat-365
Front Squat-315
Shoulder Press-215
Deadlift-420

The only named WOD I have done recently is Fran oddly enough haha 3:21

Plus I think people are very curious about trying various programs but they just don't or cant so its also a service.

Last edited by Michael R. Miller : 03-02-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael R. Miller View Post
Fun and curiosity, I debated between 6 and 8. I chose 6 because I have a short attention span. 4 is to short and 12 is too long. Its opinion no basis of facts.

Woops forgot to list current PRs

Squat-365
Front Squat-315
Shoulder Press-215
Deadlift-420

The only named WOD I have done recently is Fran oddly enough haha 3:21

Plus I think people are very curious about trying various programs but they just don't or cant so its also a service.
This is not long enough and your metrics (1RM and Fran?) are not very good either.

I say do a minimum of 8 weeks.
Metrics: Fran (short), 1 RM back squat (power), Filthy Fifty (long), Grace (short/power).
Old 03-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

Ok more metrics

5k 20:16
2k Row 8:27

Grace 2:26 but that was years ago.

5'10" and 180lbs currently, I haven't done a 1 RM Clean and Jerk in a long time mostly stuff from the hang 245 hang squat clean is the best about 2 weeks ago. It was ugly but it counts. I may take it to 8 weeks but we will see.

Last edited by Michael R. Miller : 03-02-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
Mike Moulder

Profile:

a 3:21 fran is not very good Joey? I can't even do fran RX yet, but that seems pretty good... unless you're trying for the games I guess.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

He is just mad because its faster then his haha. No I think his point is that Fran is a poor indicator for overall "CrossFitness" I know guys who can pull a good Fran time but suck at just about every other WOD.

However as far as recognizable WODs its the only one I've done in the last 3 months. I did DT in August last year for 8:29 but I am giving current numbers, not the "well I used to be able to" excuse that people throw out.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #8
Jubal Stokes

Profile:

give crossfit park city a shot if you can!!!!! its chris spealler's affiliate, ive thought about following there programming they do alot of short metcons.

do you plan on following main site at all or only affiliates. given your PR's i would like to see what would happen if you follow main site
Old 03-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #9
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Make sure you understand the affiliates programing.

While I believe my programing is very good, the way we handle lifting is in 6 week cycles so you would really need to follow it for a minimum of 18 weeks to have any idea if it works for you.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #10
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

Brendan,
Yes I know what you mean, the 1st affiliate I picked has 3 week cycles and the thought of catching a mid cycle whatever they're doing did occur and maybe they wouldnt get a fair chance. But this isnt to bash or judge, at least not on my part. However I do not believe it takes 18 weeks to see results. The most I will stretch it to is 8, I think if you have been doing this long enough you can look at programming and say WTF was he thinking or look at it and say "hey they put some thought behind that."

Think about when you started programming for your box? Did you always know exactly how to program? Probably not and you can probably look at other programs and form some sort of basis or opinion without actually having to do them.

But yes your perils did enter my thought process, but this is mostly anecdotal and some numbers, which reminds me I should probably tell people what my eating habits are like in the future of this endeavor.

Last edited by Michael R. Miller : 03-02-2012 at 11:12 AM.