CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 01-06-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
Jason Fischer

Profile:
PR Snatch Check

Another good night of lifting. Prior to tonight my pr was 108kg. I've stood up with 110kg, but lost it behind me so I don't count it.

Tonight I hit 245# (111kg), 250# (113.4kg) and then just missed this 255# (115.66kg). I really felt like I had the strength to get the 255# and possibly more, but once I started standing up, I felt myself collapsing forward instead of staying upright. I often feel like this is my tendency when snatching heavy. I know I need to work on back and core strength more than I do now. Could it be that or something else lacking?

Thoughts?

(wfs - facebook link)
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...95806263172114
Old 01-06-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
Kenny Markwardt

Profile:
Re: PR Snatch Check

Hard to tell from the front, but it looks like the bar is moving around your knees instead of getting swept back towards you.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:55 AM   #3
Struan Potter

Profile:

A few things:

- I think you need to bring your grip in a little bit. This will help with stability overhead.

- Your shoulders are set behind the bar which causes the bar to move around your knees. Start with a higher hip position with the arms perpendicular with the floor (from a side on view).

- Be more aggressive and more shrug at the second pull. Allow the elbows to bend, but do not pull with the arms.

- Move your feet wider into the squat so you can get your hips closer to your feet. This will allow you to be more upright and be more stable. It will require more flexibility so work on hips, hamstrings, adductors and ankles.

- Your back softens in the squat which is why you aren't stable. Keep the entire back tight from when you start your pull to when the bar hits the floor. Do not sacrifice your back tightness for more depth in the squat.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:14 PM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

What's your Squat numbers like?

I, actually don't have much to say regarding your technique unlike the others. You're using a different technique than I think they are used to. More chinese which tends to be upright.

My guess is your shoulders are pretty tight and that is why your elbows are soft in the catch.

I'd advocate for more BTN Sn Push press, possibly also in the bottom (which is a good mobility drill with the weight being far less).

And Pressing Snatch Balance and Heaving Snatch Balance.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:02 AM   #5
Jason Fischer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
What's your Squat numbers like?

I, actually don't have much to say regarding your technique unlike the others. You're using a different technique than I think they are used to. More chinese which tends to be upright.

My guess is your shoulders are pretty tight and that is why your elbows are soft in the catch.

I'd advocate for more BTN Sn Push press, possibly also in the bottom (which is a good mobility drill with the weight being far less).

And Pressing Snatch Balance and Heaving Snatch Balance.
Thanks Blair. Squat numbers are:
BS - 190kg (175kg triple)
FS - 168kg
OHS - no idea, but not great relative to the above

I definitely know I need to be doing more press work (my jerk is the weakest point of all my lifts). I've been doing lots of sots presses in my warm up (usually around 60-70#) and more btn snatch grip push presses. I also feel like my first pull is really slow so I'm starting to add more sn grip pulls (from deficit) and sn grip deadlifts. Wasn't it Klokov who talked about building strength to make up for poor technique? Ha ha.

All that said, I hit 115kg (255#) and came close to 118kg (260#) on Tuesday. Considering I started January with a 108kg (238#) snatch I've been stuck on since last spring, I'm pretty happy. I didn't get a video of my 115kg pr, but here is my attempt at 118kg. (wfs)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrXrPycgypE
Old 02-17-2014, 07:04 PM   #6
John Kaupp

Profile:

The only reason you don't make this lift is because as you come out of the hole, your hips go back and up causing your torso and the bar to tilt forward. Bring the hips forward while standing up.

It does appear that the bar goes around your knees on the first pull, but you get under the bar. It looks like you are a fairly big guy, so flexibility and girth may play into that. Just work on staying as upright as you can squatting the bar up.