CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 03-26-2014, 05:41 PM   #1
Travis Tauzier

Profile:
Clean Technique

So I propped my phone up and got some quick videos while trying to do some technique work the other day. Not the best video, but I'm trying to get some feedback on technique. I can't see anything glaring, but I'm sure there's room for improvement. One thing I saw was keeping my neck inline with my spine as opposed to looking forward.

For a long time, I didn't do many cleans because I didn't have proper instruction, but I've been reading, watching and trying to learn where I can. I feel that I'm getting much more efficient.

WFS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOx0zk_aJsE
Old 03-26-2014, 08:37 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Clean Technique

I'm always trying to learn the oly lifts, so my advice is limited.

Agree with your need for a more neutral neck.

For your starting position, I feel good pullers get their hips lower in the start. I feel like your set up is pretty good for a deadlift.

Hopefully those with better oly knowledge will comment.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:42 PM   #3
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

Watch the California Strength you tube series on learning the clean.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mEyoH5FV03s
Old 03-27-2014, 11:30 AM   #4
Keith Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Tauzier View Post
So I propped my phone up and got some quick videos while trying to do some technique work the other day. Not the best video, but I'm trying to get some feedback on technique. I can't see anything glaring, but I'm sure there's room for improvement. One thing I saw was keeping my neck inline with my spine as opposed to looking forward.

For a long time, I didn't do many cleans because I didn't have proper instruction, but I've been reading, watching and trying to learn where I can. I feel that I'm getting much more efficient.

WFS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOx0zk_aJsE
No, you don't need to correct your head/neck alignment. You need to drop your hips at the start and keep your chest up more as you pull. Your hips are too high and you don't keep the bar close enough. Notice how the bar does not make contact with your thighs??

Get your bodyweight more centered on your feet, slightly towards your heels and focus on pushing the floor away. Set your hips a bit lower and keep your chest up. Keep looking forward. If you start looking down to get your neck/head more neutral, you will keep being too forward on your lifts and your chest will have a tendency to cave, i.e. upper back will round.

Watch video of top level elite lifters, NONE of them look down. ALL of them look forward or slightly up at the start!!
Old 03-27-2014, 02:00 PM   #5
William Hoke

Profile:

First, it didn't look like you were using the hook grip (I may be wrong on this).

Second, you are coming forward on your toes, which is causing the slight jump forward. Stay back on your heels. This may be caused by the bar not being swept back into the body.

I can't tell if the hips are opening up all the way. IMO the ankles flex (come up on the toes/jump) at the same time the hips open up and the shrug are going on.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

Also, what Keith mentioned!!

Last edited by William Hoke : 03-27-2014 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something
Old 03-27-2014, 02:34 PM   #6
Travis Tauzier

Profile:

Thanks for the replies so far. I have watched the California strength videos before, but will review them again. I remember them being a great resource.

As for hip contact, with lighter weight I have no problem with the "hip bump". When I start to up the weight, it just doesn't feel natural to bump the bar. I'll take the other recommendations and try to incorporate those and see if that helps get the bar contact back.