CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 03-19-2014, 04:28 PM   #21
Dean Lehmkuhler

Profile:
Re: Back Squat Check

To give you an idea of oly lifters... In Russia they look for these traits:

1. Shoulder mobility
2. Hip mobility
3. "fast" nervous system (the abilily to contract AND RELAX muscles VERY quickly).

Strength isn't even on the list. Strength is easy to build but you can't build the right hip structure and a twitchy/fast nervous system is a gift. You either have it or you don't.

If you have deep hips, you'll never safely squat ATG, but you may very well destroy a disc or two in trying. It's best to learn these lessons before the lifelong injury takes place.

I cannot tell where your limitation is, or if it's a malleable situation (ie soft tissue) or a permanent situation (bone structure). ...but don't destroy a disc before you get that sorted out. I can assure you that it's not worth it.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:43 PM   #22
Glen Genet

Profile:

I can say as of late, (past six months) my hamstrings have been much tighter than in the past. My new DC made a comment on my first visit of how tight they were. Knowing that I participate in Crossfit Style workouts he saw it as a big problem. Is this something I can attribute to my "butt wink"?

I've been searching for a video of form check I made a couple years ago when I did SL 5x5.
I do not remember having the wink in that one I will keep looking and post it if i can find it.

Sorry, I hate to pester you to keep reiterating your point. And please don't feel that you have to. But again I'm trying to see if it is something I can overcome.
I see my DC again next tuesday, can you recommend how to explain/have him examine it or should I see the PT in his office as well?
Old 03-19-2014, 08:50 PM   #23
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Genet View Post
I also want the yolk but I want the big one. SO that I can use it for pull-ups as well.
mutter mutter...it's a yoke, not a yolk.

Careful with which one you pick. The Y-2 (the middle one from Rogue) is actually a little too tall for where I want to put it. I may have to cut it down a bit. I knew this ahead of time though. The Y-1 is too short for my needs. The Y-3 is waaay too tall for where I would put it.

Quote:
I have seen about trimming up the corners so it can fall into the cup. Now with your story It seems stupid not too.
There may be other options aside from cutting it, but cutting it would probably be easiest and least time consuming.

Quote:
MARK voicE. of reason WALLACE
Never been called *that* here before.

- Mark
Old 03-20-2014, 07:49 AM   #24
Dean Lehmkuhler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Genet View Post
I can say as of late, (past six months) my hamstrings have been much tighter than in the past. My new DC made a comment on my first visit of how tight they were. Knowing that I participate in Crossfit Style workouts he saw it as a big problem. Is this something I can attribute to my "butt wink"?

I've been searching for a video of form check I made a couple years ago when I did SL 5x5.
I do not remember having the wink in that one I will keep looking and post it if i can find it.

Sorry, I hate to pester you to keep reiterating your point. And please don't feel that you have to. But again I'm trying to see if it is something I can overcome.
I see my DC again next tuesday, can you recommend how to explain/have him examine it or should I see the PT in his office as well?
The hamstring may be the chicken or it may be the egg. IOW, some believe that tight hamstrings can cause the butt wink or the "tightness" may actually be a nerve tension sign or guarding spasm coming from the lumbar spine. A good clinician will be able to tell a lot from physical examination. They may also be able to tell if the hip flexion limitation is a bone end feel or a soft tissue end feel. That's part of the art of being a good PT/DC.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:00 PM   #25
Glen Genet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Lehmkuhler View Post
The hamstring may be the chicken or it may be the egg. IOW, some believe that tight hamstrings can cause the butt wink or the "tightness" may actually be a nerve tension sign or guarding spasm coming from the lumbar spine. A good clinician will be able to tell a lot from physical examination. They may also be able to tell if the hip flexion limitation is a bone end feel or a soft tissue end feel. That's part of the art of being a good PT/DC.
Again Dean thanks for all your valuable information and time. I'm excited to be armed with some extra knowledge and specific inquiries for my DC next week.