CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 03-11-2014, 09:54 AM   #1
Joseph Alberga

Profile:
Met-Con

Hey coaches, wondering your thoughts:

My strength numbers have gotten to the point where I feel they are minimally competitive enough, maybe not quite regional competitive, but some guys with smaller stuff have made it. My problem is purely met-con. It's really quite bad when compared to the studs.

Clean and Jerk: 285
Snatch: 230
DL: 435 (I'm aware that this is lacking)
Squat: 400 (high bar)
Unbroken pull-ups: 55
Fran: 2:29
30 Muscle-ups: 4:40

1rm power clean: 275
1rm power snatch: 195

For example, 14.1 - 30 double-unders, 15 power snatches at 75#, 10 min AMRAP. My score is atrocious at 280 reps. I can power snatch 195#, and I'm proficient with double unders (I've done 100 in 0:52), but after that 4th round, the gas tank is EMPTY. I mean, I have to limp the rest of the way through that 10 minutes.

Sprints under 5:00 (or even shorter) are definitely my jam.

My question: what are the MOST efficient tools and methods (somewhat specifically) to use for the next 12 months to earn the endurance I so lack? I have my own thoughts, but I'm curious as to what you coaches might have for me.

Thanks all.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:29 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Met-Con

You'll probably get more responses posting this in the "Exercises" or "Fitness" forums, but the obvious answer would be for you to do more work in longer timeframe workouts. Check out some of the programs that include somewhat regular work in the 20-30 minute range and see how they work for you.

Pacing is also important. For something like 14.1, just because you could do the first round in 45 seconds doesn't mean that you should...i.e. if I know my best 400m run is 58s and my best mile is 6:00, then if I was doing a mile race I'd be dumb to run the first quarter in 1:15. You'd be better off forcing yourself to slow down and take strategic pauses rather than redlining from the start.

Are you getting enough carbs to sustain longer efforts?
Old 03-11-2014, 11:46 AM   #3
Dean Lehmkuhler

Profile:

Choose better parents...

Are you a fast runner? Quick/mobile in other sports? What is a 5k time?

Perhaps you lack conditioning but genetics makes up a huge piece of the puzzle also.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #4
Dean Lehmkuhler

Profile:

Also, have you had a basic blood panel done recently? Anemic?

Just thoughts...
Old 03-11-2014, 02:26 PM   #5
Joseph Alberga

Profile:

My diet is fairly low-carb, I hover right around 20%. I could try upping this. No blood panels done, maybe I will give that shot as well.

I've never timed a 400m, but yes, I am a fast sprinter in distances less than 60 yards, depending on who I'm compared to. I ran a 21:30 5k when I was about 10 pounds lighter with about minus 50 pounds on all my lifts. If I went out and tried a 5k right now, I'd bank on 23:30.

I do strategize longer WOD's with planned rests ad pacing, but I still hit a wall that my training partner doesn't seem to ever hit. The plans could of course be wrong, but I think I maximize them the best way possible.

I'm well aware of the genetics aspect, of which I have none. My brother and I jokingly (ahem, half jokingly) give our old man a hard time blaming our lack of performance on him (a short, round Italian man who lives on pasta). I do think however that it'd be pretty arrogant of me to just state that I've reached my genetic limits.

I did leave out that I'm a fulltime professional firefighter, working 24 hours on 48 hours off. For those 24 hours I'm on, I more than often do not sleep through the night due to calls, probably a broken-up 5 hours sleep in the night. I'm hoping I can overcome that problem with hard work.

My plan is to do two hard met-cons every training day (strictly 2 on, 1 off), one ranging from 2-8 minutes, the other 15-20 minutes. One of, if not both depending on the day, will involve barbell movements at the standard light weights. Weightlifting/power lifting will be my best efforts to just maintain what I have. It's very hard for me to keep my lifts up if I'm met-con-ing like crazy, let alone build them higher.

If you think I'm missing anything or if any of that is crazy, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks again.
Joe
Old 03-12-2014, 05:19 PM   #6
Dean Lehmkuhler

Profile:

If you were trained during the 21:30 5k (ie not off the couch) with a sub 2:30 fran and good strength numbers (especially the Oly lifts), I'd guess you are a fast twitch dominant athlete with limited VO2 potential.

Your slow twitch performance is slow, while your fast twitch events are very good.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #7
Joseph Alberga

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Lehmkuhler View Post
If you were trained during the 21:30 5k (ie not off the couch) with a sub 2:30 fran and good strength numbers (especially the Oly lifts), I'd guess you are a fast twitch dominant athlete with limited VO2 potential.

Your slow twitch performance is slow, while your fast twitch events are very good.
Well... yeah. That's definitely the case. Can I change it? Like, significantly?
Old 03-12-2014, 08:53 PM   #8
Dean Lehmkuhler

Profile:

You can't change fiber type. Basically, there are 3 types. I are slow twitch, IIa are fast twitch but can take characteristics of untrained I or IIb, IIb are pure fast twitch. Ratios are genetically determined. If you are IIb, enjoy being fast. If you are I, well, you aren't so don't worry about it (2.5 hour marathon runners, sub 18 minute 5k). I think if you were IIa dominant, you'd not be asking this question as a well trained CF athlete because you wouldn't be having this problem...

So, no, there's not much you can do to fight your genetics. You're pretty well trained right now from what I've gathered, so there isn't likely a big breakthrough waiting to be discovered.