CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-29-2006, 09:02 AM   #1
Charles Applin

Profile:
First, I buy a Lipton Iced Tea in the 1 liter variety as I like those big mouthed bottles. I'm re-using the bottle, so it's not a common purchase.

1L of Water
12 Tbsp Cane Sugar
2 Tspn Creatine
1/4 Tspn Salt
1/4 Tspn Kool-aid (whatever flavor floats your boat)

Now it's 180 calories of carbs (5 Blocks). I used to use this during my long distance running days as it was perfect for 60 minutes of running.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:25 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
If you are looking into a drink to keep your energy up during longer endurance events...I would suggest looking at this article which basically says a mixture of carbs and protein has quicker recovery ability than carbs alone.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/524370

Although depending on your metabolism..if you train it to burn more fat...then you will need less carb replenishment (if any) during endurance events.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:29 AM   #3
Parker Gates

Profile:
I couldn't access that site w/o a login but I did find this on the Gym Jones site yesterday and it confirms the protein and carb mix for periods of 2 hours and over.

http://www.gymjones.com/knowledge.php?id=11

Old 09-29-2006, 09:54 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Hmmm...not sure why it didn't work...it said:

"Feb. 27, 2006 — Chocolate milk is an effective postexercise drink that improves recovery, according to the results of a small, randomized trial reported in the February issue of the International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism.

"Our study indicates that chocolate milk is a strong alternative to other commercial sports drinks in helping athletes recover from strenuous, energy-depleting exercise," coauthor Joel M. Stager, PhD, from Indiana University in Bloomington, said in a news release. "Chocolate milk contains an optimal carbohydrate to protein ratio, which is critical for helping refuel tired muscles after strenuous exercise and can enable athletes to exercise at a high intensity during subsequent workouts."

On 3 separate days, 9 male, endurance-trained cyclists performed an interval workout followed by 4 hours of recovery, and a subsequent endurance trial to exhaustion at 70% maximum oxygen consumption (VO2max). In a single-blind, randomized design, the men drank equivalent volumes of chocolate milk, fluid replacement drink (FR), or carbohydrate replacement drink (CR) immediately after the first exercise bout and 2 hours of recovery. The chocolate milk and CR had equivalent carbohydrate content. Primary endpoints were time to exhaustion, average heart rate, rating of perceived exertion, and total work for the endurance exercise.

Time to exhaustion and total work were significantly greater for chocolate milk and for FR trials than for CR trials, suggesting that chocolate milk is an effective recovery aid between 2 exhausting exercise bouts.

Study limitations include the possibility that the 4-hour recovery period limited the complete digestion of the complex carbohydrates contained in CR.

"The results of this study suggest that chocolate milk, with its high carbohydrate and protein content, may be considered an effective alternative to commercial FR and CR for recovery from exhausting, glycogen-depleting exercise," the authors write."

Although not sure you want to be chugging chocolate milk during a middle of a race...Ugh...that might not end well...
Old 09-29-2006, 11:30 AM   #5
Michael Hill

Profile:

For electrolite replacement ala gatorade/powerade w/o the sugar try the juice of one lemon (even better if some of the pulp goes in there) & 1/8 tsp celtic sea salt (the grey stuff)in 1 Qt water.

Actually taste remarkably similar to the original gatorade if I recall, but w/o sugar, a net alkaline effect and other trace minerals and good stuff.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:00 PM   #6
Jon Gilson

Profile:
I was informed of the "chocolate milk" effect this morning. Other than the obvious protein uptake benefits of including a simple carbohydrate (refined sugar), is there any reason the milk needs to be chocolate? Would milk taken in conjunction with any glucose source be adequate?

Best,
Jon
Old 09-29-2006, 01:21 PM   #7
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
chocolate has more sugar....it's a 4:1 carb/protein ratio with chocolate, otherwise reg milk is a 2:1 ratio with lower amount of carbs. Plus it has to be SKIM...otherwise the fat slows it down too much for the rapid absorbtion.

I tried if for a while, but found it just made me crash too hard and I started putting on fat...so I clearly have some insulin resistance issues.