CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:04 AM   #1
Jeff Prescott Jr

Profile:
Athletes doing extra workouts

Hey Guys,

We recently have had an influx of athletes coming in for second workouts during the evening hours, and wanted to know how you guys handle this. I'm all for athletes that want to compete and get better, but they tend to get in the way of the athletes that are their for their daily WOD. How do you guys handle athletes that want to come in for second workouts? Our 430 and 530 classes are usually full with 18-20 people, so we are at capacity. Do I tell the athletes that are in for their second workouts to wait? DO I not allow second workouts at all? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 02-20-2014, 09:33 AM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Athletes doing extra workouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Prescott Jr View Post
Hey Guys,

We recently have had an influx of athletes coming in for second workouts during the evening hours, and wanted to know how you guys handle this. I'm all for athletes that want to compete and get better, but they tend to get in the way of the athletes that are their for their daily WOD. How do you guys handle athletes that want to come in for second workouts? Our 430 and 530 classes are usually full with 18-20 people, so we are at capacity. Do I tell the athletes that are in for their second workouts to wait? DO I not allow second workouts at all? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Are they doing second workouts on their own? You could(/should?) have an open gym time for this.

Are they just showing up without signing up for a class and overfilling your class? Well, that's easy, just tell them not to come unless they sign up. You do have a class reservation system, right?
Old 02-20-2014, 09:47 AM   #3
Alex Romero

Profile:

I don't own an affiliate but here's my humble opinion: I've been doing CF at an affiliate for almost two years now and I typically train around 5AM. My morning session typically beats me up enough that I don't feel the need to go back for a second wod. It's one thing if you have a couple of competitor-level athletes going back for more, but if you have an influx then maybe look into your programming and see if it's challenging them enough. Frankly if I'm a member going in for my first wod and the gym is packed out because of "two-timers", I'd be pretty ****ed.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:14 AM   #4
Jeff Prescott Jr

Profile:

The workouts are def challenging enough. These are folks that want to compete, and as we know to be competitive you have to put in the extra work. I like that they want to do it, just wondering how other affiliates handle the situation.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:35 AM   #5
Gary Ostroski

Profile:

Have a guy you trust open it up after classes if you can't staff it. But I am sure regulars will start to get upset with having to share space/equipment with those coming in for round 2.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:33 PM   #6
Saul Garcia

Profile:

Spoke about this same issue with my partners last night. Solution is a late class (8:30pm) where we would workout with an advanced WOD, and Open Gym will be an option.

All 4 of us are "advanced", interested in reaching competitor level and are L-1 certified.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #7
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Romero View Post
Frankly if I'm a member going in for my first wod and the gym is packed out because of "two-timers", I'd be pretty ****ed.
On the flip side if I'm a member who decided to pay you $150 - $200 per month for "unlimited" and you tell me I can't show up to workout if I want to do two a days I'm looking for a new gym.

Just use a sign up / spot reservation system. A later open gym time time would be good too.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #8
Saul Garcia

Profile:

Turning them away wasn't an option, organization/scheduling is important. If you schedule it our conclusion is they will come.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:10 PM   #9
Josh Groves

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
On the flip side if I'm a member who decided to pay you $150 - $200 per month for "unlimited" and you tell me I can't show up to workout if I want to do two a days I'm looking for a new gym.

Just use a sign up / spot reservation system. A later open gym time time would be good too.
Going one step further on this line of thought is that "unlimited" or "X class" memberships are for classes that are instructor led, and you're doing the same thing the others are. It is not for unlimited use of the gym for whatever purpose you want to use it for.

There's a way to find a balance, but it's definitely tough, especially if you have a smaller space where there's not room for two groups to be working out consecutively.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:51 PM   #10
Kristian Skarsfeldt

Profile:

Post something like this on your blog of FB page and see if it gets better?

Quote:
With the number of programs we have going here at Crossfit XX, we try our very best to accommodate those that are not attending regular class when they are doing other training on the side. We ask that you be mindful of the instructor and members in class and not drop weights or cause any noise while the class is being led through instruction. And please remember, that if the 530 hour is your ONLY option to train, no one is too good for the regular classes. The class programming is relevant for advanced to novice, competition or recreational interests.
Thank you for your understanding.