CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > In Search of CrossFitters
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In Search of CrossFitters For finding other CrossFitters to CrossFit with

Old 03-19-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
Laura Harris

Profile:
stay-at-home CrossFitters

Does anyone know of a forum or blog for connecting with other at-home crossftitters? I am a beginner and am working out exculsively at home instead of at a box. I am looking to connect with others to discuss challenges/solutions related to doing CrossFit without a live coach; maybe share some WODs, etc.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
Scott Dexter Dickenson

Profile:
Re: stay-at-home CrossFitters

I am in the same boat as you. Hopefully something can come of this. Knave very limited(pretty much zero) equipment yet so helping each other out would be great.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

The irony is this board used to be that place. Congrats on starting Crossfit. Hopefully this thread becomes what you are searching for.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
Brian Androsian

Profile:

I do that at home thing, too. I found a list somewhere in here with tons of wods designed to only need a pull up bar or rings. Almost all could be done at home. Not sure where it was on this site, I printed it out and use it often. It's very helpful to me cause I don't have the room for olympic bars and such.
Maybe someone knows what I'm referring to and could provide a link?
Old 03-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
Kevin McCahill

Profile:

Here ya go fellow at homers...good luck.

WFS
[ATTACH]Travel-WODs.pdf[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Comprehensive%20Bodyweight%20Workout%20List,%20v1.0[1].pdf (106.4 KB, 389 views)
Old 03-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
Brian Androsian

Profile:

There it is, thank you.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Harris View Post
Does anyone know of a forum or blog for connecting with other at-home crossftitters? I am a beginner and am working out exculsively at home instead of at a box. I am looking to connect with others to discuss challenges/solutions related to doing CrossFit without a live coach; maybe share some WODs, etc.
I workout at home as well. What specific challenges have you faced thus far?
Old 03-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #8
Michael Kelley

Profile:

The hardest things for me:

1. Wall Balls. I don't have a good spot. No tree, no spot on my house's exterior I am willing to beat up. I need to make and hang a target in the rafters of my unfinished garage. It will require masterful precision on each toss to hit the target and get a clean drop. This is why my thighs still feel 12.4 from Saturday. No WB's since December.

2. No rower.

3. I'd like to have a sled or prowler, but that would be too noisy in the neighborhood at 6am when I work out.

4. I don't want to spend $200 on a clock, and the timer on my iPhone is too small to see when I an mid-WoD. Maybe if I got an iPad...

5. My infinity rig setup in the garage doesn't get me much room for hanging under the pullup bar because of the way the ceiling is set up. That makes my kips kind of funny.

6. No partners. It sure is nice to have people to chase, to beat, to work with on a daily basis in the gym. Going hard when working solo isn't always easy.

7. No muscle ups. I have not done one yet, mainly because I just haven't worked on it. My set up isn't ideal for it, though I could probably work on them from kneeling.

The easiest things:

1. My gym is right here. No travel time = more workout time. That means I get to take a bit more time for rehab type work on injuries and weaknesses, and foam rolling.

2. I get to do a strength program where I never miss the key lifts of squat and deadlift. At a gym, my off day could be squat day. Not in my garage, though.

3. My cul-de-sac is a perfect, 1/8 mile uphill from my driveway to the end. Not to steep, but steep enough to work. This makes for a nice twist on my workouts. Sometimes I just do hill repeats.

4. Figuring things out is easier. No need to wait to go to the gym tomorrow to try something out. When I started writing this thread, I wrote "jumping rope." The ceiling is a bit low, so I always assumed I couldn't do it. As I wrote, it occurred to me that I should try it before I assumed it. I just figured out how much more prepared I could have been for 12.4, given that I have not done DU's since December when I was last in a box all the time. Lesson learned.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:51 AM   #9
Sarah Isel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kelley View Post
6. No partners. It sure is nice to have people to chase, to beat, to work with on a daily basis in the gym. Going hard when working solo isn't always easy.
I wouldn't necessarily say this is a bad thing. If you are good about recording scores, times, and weights used for each WOD, you will always have yourself to compete with. You can also challenge your friends and family to join you in a WOD every once and a while when you are feeling particularly social. Working out in a box may be different, but I HATE the fact that others are around me when I work out in a regular gym. Too many stupid comments, questions and stares. [Insert] Death by ball slams WOD
Old 03-21-2012, 04:20 AM   #10
Dave Traeger

Profile:

ALso, whichever program you're following (be it mainsite, cffb, or some affiliate's) you can always go to their website and post your scores in order to compare with others. I know theres a bit of rivalry going on in the cffb comments pages for example.