CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-02-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
Justin C. Howell

Profile:
Diet on a Budget

I was wanting some criticism of my diet. Please feel free to say what needs to be changed. Kind of on a budget and it seems like things are only going up in price. . 5'9 - 178. Want to lose some BF.

5 AM - Pre workout - Granola Bar
730 - 3 cups of skim milk - 1 cup of oatmeal
930 - 1 cup of cottage cheese/1 banana.
1200 - roughly 48 grams of protein from chicken, carrots, 1 pieces of bread
300 - 1/2 cup of soy nuts
500 - tuna salad.

I prefer to eat the same thing everyday, because of the ease.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
Frank Passalacqua

Profile:
Re: Diet on a Budget

I'm no expert but I def think you should ditch the granola bar, and all that dairy along with the banana. You want to feed the lean mass....but I can't fathom eating that small of an amount of food. Do some eggs in the morning and get some nuts for your fats, cut out all the grains. Should see an improvement. I know I did.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
Meghan Reid

Profile:

+1. Eat more, ditch the refined grains, ditch the dairy. If nothing else it should be full fat dairy. No soy. No sugar. More protein, more vegetables, MORE REAL WHOLE FOOD. Also, sorry to say it but variety is best. You can't eat the same exact thing every day and thrive. Make it work.

There are dozens and I mean DOZENS of threads on a) how to make a good diet convenient and b) how to clean up your diet. I really recommend you take a look at them. Anyone who has spent more than 5 minutes searching these boards would know that your diet is way less than optimal.

That being said, how are your strength/metcon numbers? Any interest in making those better or are you going for aesthetics?
Old 06-02-2010, 11:14 AM   #4
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Unless you are a late teen female gymnast or dancer, this diet is incredibly lacking in pretty much everything. What are your goals and where are you at? How old are you, what is your lifestyle like, how much sleep do you get?
Old 06-02-2010, 11:39 AM   #5
Andy Beaulieu

Profile:

More protein. Too much dairy. Not enough fat.

Chicken, beef, and pork go on sale often. If you want to keep dairy in your life, go full fat. Eat as many vegetables as you want in every sitting, and some fruit is ok too. I'd remove the bananas, but if you can't live without them, go for 2 or 3 a week -- not one a day.

Veggies and fruits are ALWAYS on sale. Meat is more costly, but it shouldn't break your bank. And you have to decide what's more important -- paying a higher grocery bill now, or an egregiously high medical bill later?

Also, eggs are your friend. Full of protein and fat/cholesterol, and really, really cheap. Eat 'em.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
Justin C. Howell

Profile:

I based alot of it on stuff I had read from Stew Smith's Navy SEAL workout page and his SEAL Prep workout.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Where ever you got it from, you are eating like a teenage girl with an eating disorder and daddy issues.

Eat more. And your diet is completely bacon free. Mindboggiling.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #8
Andy Beaulieu

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin C. Howell View Post
I based alot of it on stuff I had read from Stew Smith's Navy SEAL workout page and his SEAL Prep workout.
If you're training for BUD/S, or want to workout like a SEAL, you have to eat like one. A while back, I was watching a program on a BUD/S class right in the middle of first phase. During one of the first days a kid came back from the mess at lunch and passed out during class discussion. The instructors said something to the extent of "with all the physical work we do, the guy probably only had two or three sandwiches at lunch, when his body needs six or seven."

Eat more beef, eggs, fish, etc. But eat MORE. Again, I don't count calories and don't recommend it, but you need more dense calories in there.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #9
Justin C. Howell

Profile:

No, I am not training for BUD/s or will ever train for BUD/S. The options that Stew Smith prescribed come from his books and his fitness site. He does advocate pre-workout foods and meal ideas that include Clif Bars, Oatmeal, Breads, and Granola Bars. If LT. Smith states that something will work for performance and help you I am going to lean towards some of things that he prescribes as he as assited numerous people in becoming SEALs and other military/LE type fields or just people wanting to get fit from a military type approach.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:50 PM   #10
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin C. Howell View Post
No, I am not training for BUD/s or will ever train for BUD/S. The options that Stew Smith prescribed come from his books and his fitness site. He does advocate pre-workout foods and meal ideas that include Clif Bars, Oatmeal, Breads, and Granola Bars. If LT. Smith states that something will work for performance and help you I am going to lean towards some of things that he prescribes as he as assited numerous people in becoming SEALs and other military/LE type fields or just people wanting to get fit from a military type approach.
OK, have at it then. Not being harsh but you are not going to get support for a diet of clif bars, bread, and granola bars on this board. I would strongly suggest that you take some of our advice for a couple of months and see how it goes for you, then report back. Or carry on with what you're doing, but it obviously isn't working the way you'd like since you're asking for a critique in the first place.