CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-26-2008, 03:34 PM   #1
Tom Fetter

Profile:
home built squat cage

A few folks have asked me for pictures of this - finally put them onto the camera, and then uploaded to a place I could link in a post.

Built the cage in our attic - the posts are laminated form 2 X 4s, with 3" blocks of 2 X 4 laminated in as a center layer, leaving space for 1" steel tubing to slip through as the safety bars. The rack's attached to both the ceiling and the floor - the center layer of the laminated posts was left about 1 1/2" long to be a big tenon, in the mortise and tenon joints that tie the posts into both the support at the ceiling, and at the floor.

I've added bracing pieces between the front and back posts at the ceiling, because the forces from kipping were making things too shaky for my taste.

Here's a shot of the whole cage.
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/260...0185ob3.th.jpg

This shot shows both the connection of the posts to the bottom support, and also one of my home-brew bumper plates.
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/824...0187ch8.th.jpg

Here's a close-up of one of the hooks. A piece of 3/4" ply was glued into the end of a piece of the square tubing, to make the hook. We've left these long enough to go about 2" past the edges of the post on each side - a handy place to make fast the ropes that hold up our home-brew rings too, as you'll see in the last shot.
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/389...0188wq3.th.jpg

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/178...0189mn6.th.jpg

t.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
Tommy Desrosiers

Profile:
Re: home built squat cage

wow really nice.. good job. i wish i was able to do something like that in my basement.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:03 PM   #3
David Sailor

Profile:

Tom,

Nice job! Very functional and it looks solid as a rock.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:09 AM   #4
Christian Salas

Profile:

Sweet. I love this stuff!
Looks like it's in the attic. Do you have a separate Olympic lifting facility or do you just not drop the weights?
Old 01-27-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
Tom Fetter

Profile:

I try not to drop the stuff ... I don't have real bumpers. The ensolite-wrapped plywood ones you see were mostly intended to lift the bar to the right height for my kids, but they also muffle a bit of noise when fairly light weights come down hard.

But I could drop stuff, if I had bumpers. The cage sits on an extension from a 6 X 8 lifting platform, where we do most of our work. The ceiling's just high enough to do overhead stuff, and the platform spreads the load across enough joists that if I had bumpers, and could stand the noise, it would be safe to drop.

t
Old 01-27-2008, 05:11 PM   #6
Allan Luomala

Profile:

Brilliant, Tom!!! I was resigning myself to paying $600+ for even a dodgy squat rack/cage, but this has definitely inspired me to build my own. Your use of the 2X4's for spacers (and strength) for the safety pins and pegs is ingenius. I am shamelessly going to copy you when I build my squat rack!

You couldn't knock the smile I have on my face right now with a shovel!

AL
Old 03-02-2008, 08:38 AM   #7
Casey Stein

Profile:

I was so impressed by your home-made squat cage that I blatantly stole your idea and built my own. I had to make mine free-standing because my ceiling is a lot higher.

Here's a link to the pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/caseydarwinstein/SquatRack

Thanks for the idea,

Casey
Old 03-02-2008, 12:03 PM   #8
Christian Salas

Profile:

Very nice Casey! I'm impressed! Did you use beige deck screws to fasten it together? Do you have a separate pull up bar I take it? How about stops for the "sabers" or spotting bars? Or do they sit loose in the spaces? I assume you custom built it to spot your bench and squat?

Old 03-02-2008, 12:52 PM   #9
Casey Stein

Profile:

95% of the screws are 3-inch grey deck screws. The other 5% are the 3-inch brass-looking screws (I ran out of deck screws). Yes, I have a seperate pullup bar that I built previously that hangs from the rafters in my garage so I didn't build one into this rack. Although I could still do that if I needed to. The stops that the safety bars go into are 2X4's that are liberally glued and screwed between the 2X6 uprights. In fact, every piece of wood is liberally glued and screwed in order to make this thing as stiff and as strong as possible. The safety bars sit loose in the stops for them so I can change the height. I did that specifically so I could use this rack for bench as well. One of the cool things about this project was that I didn't have to buy any of the wood as I had it all leftover from an arbor I built over my patio a couple years ago.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:17 PM   #10
James Besenyei

Profile:

WOW! Very nice. I'm going to steal your idea Casey. Hope you don't mind. I have lots of lumber in the garage left over from other projects along with gorilla glue and screws.