CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-18-2010, 11:07 PM   #11
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Training "Ma dude"...

I'm not a lawyer, so I'm not going to speculate on your legal liability.

But yes, you would certainly be morally responsible. Some training-related injuries are life-threatening or life-changing. How would you feel if your attempt to "kill" someone put them in the hospital? Cost them their job?

If you don't take such a responsibility seriously, you have no business training anyone.

Katherine
Old 11-18-2010, 11:30 PM   #12
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
I'm not a lawyer, so I'm not going to speculate on your legal liability.

But yes, you would certainly be morally responsible. Some training-related injuries are life-threatening or life-changing. How would you feel if your attempt to "kill" someone put them in the hospital? Cost them their job?

If you don't take such a responsibility seriously, you have no business training anyone.

Katherine
I am not stupid. And I don't have any plans on "training" anyone. I am looking for a training buddy. I don't take money for even tutoring I give people. My goals aren't to make people like me, or prove my superiority.

If you taught your friend (or wife/husband) to clean and jerk, they could very well drop the bar on their head. Even 100lbs square on the head can do some damage. Do you have no business teaching them to clean and jerk? Maybe, but in the end they dropped the bar. You can't control everything. Not my goal, but it happens. I dropped a bar on my neck trying to overhead squat.

Not that I want injury for anyone, but I don't want a training buddy who can't push me. So you test them. I won't test an untrained person with 1RM Squats and Deadlifts. I would test them with max burpees or something. But looks like that ain't happening EVER.

So don't be scared
Old 11-18-2010, 11:40 PM   #13
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan Macdonald View Post
I am not stupid. And I don't have any plans on "training" anyone. I am looking for a training buddy. I don't take money for even tutoring I give people. My goals aren't to make people like me, or prove my superiority.

If you taught your friend (or wife/husband) to clean and jerk, they could very well drop the bar on their head. Even 100lbs square on the head can do some damage. Do you have no business teaching them to clean and jerk? Maybe, but in the end they dropped the bar. You can't control everything. Not my goal, but it happens. I dropped a bar on my neck trying to overhead squat.

Not that I want injury for anyone, but I don't want a training buddy who can't push me. So you test them. I won't test an untrained person with 1RM Squats and Deadlifts. I would test them with max burpees or something. But looks like that ain't happening EVER.

So don't be scared
You wrote:
Quote:
My plan when training people was to keep the weights low (or body weight), so I could try and kill them to see if they want to continue.
Before proceeding with that plan, I suggest you read the post about rhabdo in the affiliate section. Trying to "kill" someone with very high rep bodyweight exercises is an excellent way to put them in the hospital.

Katherine
Old 11-19-2010, 12:41 AM   #14
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:

Quote:
But looks like that ain't happening EVER.
So don't be scared
Seriously
Old 11-19-2010, 08:02 AM   #15
Ted Apollo

Profile:

back to the OP: i think sports would be a great way to help 'Ma Dude' start getting fit. i think tennis is a nice & light way to start. then i would move to bball or something a little more demanding. i think what makes sports so appealing is that it keeps it fun & since sustainability is the goal you gotta keep it fun.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #16
Jeff Martin

Profile:

Max,
If you are training someone under 18 you are training a minor. If something should happen, you will be legally responsible.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:26 AM   #17
James White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan Macdonald View Post
Haven't gotten anyone in the gym with me yet, but I planned on destroying them with burpees and squats (light).
Thank God. Trying to destroy new guys is just plain dumb. Nothing wrong with an ego check (which even a 1/2 Cindy will give most folks), but it does sound like you're trying to smash people.

Is this a bad idea (legally) for me?
Yes
See comments in bold above.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:01 AM   #18
Hunter Molzen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Martin View Post
Max,
If you are training someone under 18 you are training a minor. If something should happen, you will be legally responsible.

Max is also a minor. So at the end of the day if Minor A gets hurt, we just have a couple of minors being irresponsible.

I guess Ma dudes parents could sue, but I doubt much would come of it seeing as both parties are under 18.

Once you turn 18 though Max, it's another ball park. At that point you need to stop training him or get his parents to sign a waiver at least.