CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-26-2006, 07:28 PM   #1
Yael Grauer

Profile:
So say I'm happily going about my day following my strict zone diet, I'm about to go to lunch and I see that somebody has brought in some brownies with walnuts for a meeting and I'm pretty sure I'm going to eat at least one. Is it better to: a) eat one as a cheat snack for the week or b) not eat my carb for lunch and replace it instead with a brownie.

Here's the problems:
a) with this option I'm getting more calories than I need, in addition to messing up my blood sugar

b) with this option I'm not getting the micronutrients and vitamins and good stuff from my lovely vegetable I'm eating for lunch, and replacing it with crap

Just curious.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:36 AM   #2
Eric Allen Kerr

Profile:
Yael,

Depends on your will power.

Are you really going to eat just the one brownie? Or will that one brownie be the downard spiral that throws you off the bandwagon completely.

If you've been good (sticking with the diet and getting your workouts in) the occassional opportunistic consumption of a free brownie won't kill you. As you have said, drop the carbs from your meal to compensate for the brownie. You'll survive the loss of the micronutrients and vitamins, this once.

If you feeling short on will power, then stay the heck away from the brownie! ;)

Some people recommend having a "dirt day". Meaning that if you have achieved your fitness and dietary goal for (the week, the month, the quarter, etc.,.) then indulge yourself (in moderation). Heck you may even belly up to that twinkie and think "This is crap. How did I ever eat this stuff?" and walk away.

As some others have said 85% Zone is better than no Zone. It is just going to take you longer to achieve your dietary goals and perhaps fitness goals than if you were doing it 100%.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:13 AM   #3
Yael Grauer

Profile:
90% is what I am shooting for, I'm closer to 75/80% now unfortunately.

The problem isn't that I'm going to have more than 1 brownie, it's that I may have a brownie two days in a row, and I decided I only wanted to have brownies (or whatever) once every three days. So I'm trying to figure out whether I should eat the brownie as my "carb" and skip out on my highly nutritious carbs loaded with nutrients, or should I eat the brownie on top of my lovingly prepared Zone-friendly lunch, getting all the nutrients of the veggies, but getting extra calories and fat to boot.

So I take it your vote is for brownie instead of lettuce and tomatoes.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:22 AM   #4
Alicia Michel

Profile:
Hi Yael, someone on this forum advised somewhere to eat for performance rather than eat thinking you're on a strict diet. I've found that this attitude has helped a lot, in that when I restricted my diet because I wanted to lose bodyfat, I'd get frustrated and impatient with the restrictions of dieting, and end up eating chocolate chip cookies.

Eating for performance on the other hand makes me want to forgo those cookies most of the time because I know I'll feel lethargic the next day and have a crappy WOD performance.

(Message edited by dx7 on August 27, 2006)
Old 08-27-2006, 07:55 AM   #5
Eric Allen Kerr

Profile:
>So I take it your vote is for brownie instead of lettuce and tomatoes.

If the brownie is 52g of carbs, and the lettuce and tomato are another say 25g of carbs for a total of 77g of carbs. I think it is safe to say that the total carbs are going to throw you further off the golden ratio than the brownie by itself.

Actually, dropping the carbs from your meal if you are going to have dessert is one Dr. Sear's recommendations.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:39 AM   #6
Yael Grauer

Profile:
I'll admit that I haven't noticed a difference in performance based on what I eat yet, except that I know better than to try to do my WOD hung over.

I do notice a change in mood, though, which makes me just want to save my junk food for when I'm alone or about to go to bed or whatever.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:29 AM   #7
Parker Gates

Profile:
I asked a question similar to this a few months back and the response that I got was:
"If eating 1 cookie is going to kill you then you're already dead."
Although it bruised my ego a little bit I think the guy was right.