CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-07-2010, 06:02 AM   #51
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Re: Diet on a Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Waldeck View Post
Can we make this a sticky?
We really should make a sticky of paleo and zone, and "cheat meals," like what the fitness forum has for CFSB. It would help the new people and clear up alot of the same questions that keep popping up. Anyone want to volunteer?

Mods, any help/advice?
Old 06-07-2010, 06:25 AM   #52
Tina Dobson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
"(i.e, they were consuming a ton of calories)."

WIth that kind of workload, you'd have to.
I know quite a few spec operators from various branches, and I can guarantee you that what everyone is saying is true. Most seasoned operators eat more than this in one meal. I also recently read that the average SEAL or Force Recon Marine easily consumes 7,000 calories a day.

In my experience, the disciplined eating comes in after they have been operators for awhile, especially those guys in their 30s and 40s. They discover they have to be. And the eating, exercise and sleep habits of a SEAL who just earned the trident are going to be different than someone who has been a SEAL for 10 years. As for the teaching/instructing component, most instruct at some point in the career. Like anything else, you learn as you go along.

You seem to think people are bashing this guy and they aren't. You will find very few communities with as much support for our military warriors as you will find here. I agree with most here that you arent eating enough, in enough variety, but that's our opinion.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:27 AM   #53
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
We really should make a sticky of paleo and zone, and "cheat meals," like what the fitness forum has for CFSB. It would help the new people and clear up alot of the same questions that keep popping up. Anyone want to volunteer?

Mods, any help/advice?
i've been meaning to make nutrition stickyesque threads. It's a huge undertaking, though.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:05 AM   #54
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
i've been meaning to make nutrition stickyesque threads. It's a huge undertaking, though.
Yea it is, it would probably have to be split up between a group of people due to all of the topics it covers. I'd like to have a hand in it, but only when I get back to the U.S. at the end of June, there's way too much to do while I'm studying abroad in Rome now. If nothing is done by the time I get back, I'll start drawing something up and pm it around for revisions. Even though it would take awhile, it would be worth it.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #55
James Chu

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Eat bacon left over from night before
Does such a thing exist? Left over bacon.. *scoff*
Old 06-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #56
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I cook 2 lbs of it at once, so yes, there is left over bacon.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #57
David Murman

Profile:

Does canned wild fish do more harm than good? With the BPA?
Old 06-09-2010, 12:58 PM   #58
Charles Staley

Profile:

Hey I'm late to the party but why do people always assume that being a former SEAL, or having been on TV means you know how to eat or train?

The guy is a tool, and you have a lot of very knowledgeable, patient people here trying to steer you in a better direction. I eat more at breakfast than you eat all day. There are very small women here who eat more than you do in one meal. What part of this are you not getting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin C. Howell View Post
I am not arguing that the paleo/zone diet is wrong or that it is gospel. I just found that stating that Stew Smith is wrong in his method and his advice is off base. The guy was a SEAL and trained future SEALs and has a great base of knowledge to base his opinions on, because he knows that works for people in these roles and he continues to use a diet like this today for his own fitness. In case you wondering this was the SEAL that was featured on Fight Science. I do think that lots of things work differently for different people. I do not think the Stew Smith is wrong in what he prescribes in that if he helped in the selection and training of future SEALs at USNA, who in the fitness spectrum are elite athletes and also a great number of people (a few that I have known) that have gone into military spec ops by following his programming.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:14 PM   #59
Kevin Worth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Waldeck View Post
OK, have at it then. Not being harsh but you are not going to get support for a diet of clif bars, bread, and granola bars on this board. I would strongly suggest that you take some of our advice for a couple of months and see how it goes for you, then report back. Or carry on with what you're doing, but it obviously isn't working the way you'd like since you're asking for a critique in the first place.
Well said
Old 06-18-2010, 07:15 AM   #60
Justin C. Howell

Profile:

A previous poster stated that this guy (Stew Smith) is a tool and that by being a former SEAL he knows how to train people. The fact is that is exactly what he did for many years at the Naval Academy, he helped potential future officers prepare for BUD/S and helped screen them in order for them to be successful. Stew Smith also helped run the Naval Academy PT program for midshipman. When it comes to someone that is knowledgeable, you better believe that I would put more stock in what a former SEAL/fitness instructor has to say than individuals that hang out on a message board. This is what gets me about CF. If someone ever offers a differing opinion they are automatically wrong.