CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #3441
Tamara Cohen

Profile:
Re: Where's the Girl Power?

Strength cycle is ON, ladies. I am really excited.

Jay Ashman gave me a conjugate program to work with for the next several weeks while my shoulder heals. It's back squats, front squats, box squats and good mornings.

I did 5x5 back squats today. Jay told me to start with 135 lbs, and I was freaked out that it would be too heavy. He said it was supposed to be max effort, haha. Well, I have only back squatted 135 lbs or more for five total reps EVER. Somehow, I made it through five sets at 135 lbs, although there was a lot of resting involved.

I felt SUPER STRONG! I can't wait to get bigger thighs and a bigger butt and a 200 lb back squat!
Old 06-06-2010, 07:57 PM   #3442
Stephanie Rochford

Profile:

This is me officially saying hello.

I just joined my local affiliate after my husband turned me onto CrossFit, via the "Nasty Girls" video. I went for my intro session and walked away completely obsessed. I've always been a treadmill girl, with the occasional outdoor run, lots of yoga, and some weight-lifting. Never played a sport a day in my life. I grew up with the "girls cook and clean" lifestyle, complete with homeschooling and homemade dresses. Don't be jealous!

I have three children and spend my extra time in school, working towards becoming an RN. My SO is currently overseas doing his CF thing and I am, of course, doing mine.

I love reading about all of your goals and accomplishments. The fact that you are all there to support each other speaks volumes for each of you. I'm surrounded in a lifestyle of "who has it harder" and "who's life sucks the most". It's very tiresome and relentlessly annoying. I'm blown away how each of you share your experiences and encourage others to do the same.

I want to see how far I can take CF. I want to know what I'm capable of. I want all the obvious, the PU, the DU's, the MU, I want it all. You all make that seem possible!
Old 06-06-2010, 08:18 PM   #3443
Tina Dobson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Rochford View Post

I just joined my local affiliate after my husband turned me onto CrossFit, via the "Nasty Girls" video. I went for my intro session and walked away completely obsessed. I've always been a treadmill girl, with the occasional outdoor run, lots of yoga, and some weight-lifting. Never played a sport a day in my life. I grew up with the "girls cook and clean" lifestyle, complete with homeschooling and homemade dresses. Don't be jealous!

I have three children and spend my extra time in school, working towards becoming an RN. My SO is currently overseas doing his CF thing and I am, of course, doing mine.

I love reading about all of your goals and accomplishments. The fact that you are all there to support each other speaks volumes for each of you. I'm surrounded in a lifestyle of "who has it harder" and "who's life sucks the most". It's very tiresome and relentlessly annoying. I'm blown away how each of you share your experiences and encourage others to do the same.

I want to see how far I can take CF. I want to know what I'm capable of. I want all the obvious, the PU, the DU's, the MU, I want it all. You all make that seem possible!
Seeing as you are in Oceanside I would assume you are either a Marine or navy wife. If you can do THAT, you can rock crossfit. Welcome to the group; I am only just getting re-involved myself. Lots to learn but you'll have a great time. I don't know if this is your first deployment or not, but if it is, working out will be the only thing that keeps you sane (and away from cookies and chocolate, LOL). And the treadmill experience will definitely help you out!
Old 06-06-2010, 08:26 PM   #3444
Tina Dobson

Profile:

OK ladies, a question...

I am getting back into doing cf again. I was a novice before I left so I am really a novice now! Not due to working out, but I believe I did something to my rotator cuff. I don't think it's a tear, in fact I am almost positive it is not, as I still have a pretty large range of motion. I think it's an inflammation. My doctor just left the state, and I can't get into a new doc for over a week. I have been doing a lot of reading up this weekend and apparently the gentle stretching I have been doing with it is the right thing. Question is, I am not sure how much and what exercises I can do and which to stay away from. I really think it's a tendon thing, combined with an on again, off again old injury in my trap (car accident years ago). I don't really want to do nothing with my upper body, because when I went several days without stretching it, it got so tight and painful, but I don't want to damage it either.

Any ideas?
Old 06-06-2010, 09:47 PM   #3445
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina Dobson View Post
OK ladies, a question...

I am getting back into doing cf again. I was a novice before I left so I am really a novice now! Not due to working out, but I believe I did something to my rotator cuff. I don't think it's a tear, in fact I am almost positive it is not, as I still have a pretty large range of motion. I think it's an inflammation. My doctor just left the state, and I can't get into a new doc for over a week. I have been doing a lot of reading up this weekend and apparently the gentle stretching I have been doing with it is the right thing. Question is, I am not sure how much and what exercises I can do and which to stay away from. I really think it's a tendon thing, combined with an on again, off again old injury in my trap (car accident years ago). I don't really want to do nothing with my upper body, because when I went several days without stretching it, it got so tight and painful, but I don't want to damage it either.

Any ideas?
Gentle stretching is unlikely to injure anything. Explosive CF-style work could. So take it easy, but not too easy.

Do a search for Steven Low here on the boards and read his shoulder injury/mobility/rehab stuff. He knows what he's talking about.

Katherine
Old 06-07-2010, 11:30 AM   #3446
Christy Labrie

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Rochford View Post

YEA! Welcome!
I love this place, I love all the strong azz ladies on here! You'd think with a buch of us women we'd get catty but it turns out this is the most encouraging, empowering, inspiring, uplifting (haha-pun) place.
And yes, we women do cook and clean--meat and weights!
Old 06-07-2010, 12:30 PM   #3447
Angelina Kelly

Profile:

Hello all!

I just started CF as well but I'm hardly what you can call athletic. I've lost a lot of weight in the past few years and I do try to get exercise and have focused on and off on weight workouts but I have had trouble with consistency in the last few years.

I'm definitely looking forward to CF and I had my first WOD on Saturday and it was awesome.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:45 PM   #3448
Todd Crawford

Profile:

I like this thread ..... all the ladies in one place!
Old 06-07-2010, 12:52 PM   #3449
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
I can't wait to get bigger thighs and a bigger butt and a 200 lb back squat!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy Rutherford View Post
And yes, we women do cook and clean--meat and weights!
The world needs more like you cf ladies.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #3450
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina Dobson View Post
OK ladies, a question...

Any ideas?
I feel your pain. I have a rotator cuff injury right now, and I'm assuming 4-6 weeks of resting it.

Definitely look at Steven's stuff. Rest. Don't do any movements that aggravate it. Ice. Fish oil. I'm having ART done in the meantime. See if you have a chiro in your area who does ART.

Last edited by Tamara Cohen; 06-07-2010 at 01:05 PM..