CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-02-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
Bob Muth

Profile:
Track and Cross Fit

i am a shot and discus coach. can cross fit be applicable to the throws (track)... if so where do i find those workouts...
Old 06-02-2010, 02:06 PM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Track and Cross Fit

I would think the performance menu (http://www.performancemenu.com/ WFS for the most part) program would be more applicable to shot or discuss. CF trains across "broad time and modal domain"; Shot and discuss don't fit either.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
Jeff Martin

Profile:

Bob,
I have not worked with throwers, but I have with Track athletes. This year I worked with a high school high jumper. Last year he jumped 6'5" he jumped 7'0" at his last meet. We adapted his CF training to suit his goals, think it could easily be done with throwers as well.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #4
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

+1 for Performance Menu. Throwing is all about power. I'd prescribe lot's of Olympic lifting and plyometric work. If you want to throw in some metcon for general condition, I'd keep it in the sub-10 min time domain.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:54 PM   #5
Todd Rehm

Profile:

When I did my USATF level one certification, the throws instructor was Mike Judge of www.throw1deep.com (wfs). He was a great instructor and is highly regarded.

I train at Coffee's Gym where John Coffee has built the most successful women's olympic weighlifting program, and Mike Judge's throwers workout there also.

I think Coach Judge would be a great resource and I encourage you to talk to him about it. He may not be terribly familiar with CrossFit, but he does use the Olympic lifts in training throwers.

FWIW, it struck me in the USATF level one how much similarity there is in the S&C work for track athletes to many of the methods CF uses.

Best wishes.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:48 AM   #6
Bob Muth

Profile:

Thanks for your replys and advice. I will check out the siites that you have given me. I have always incorporated olympic and power lifts into our workouts, and have used kettlebells for thbe past 3 years. Many of the concepts of CF is interesting and exciting to me and I catch myself going to the site and reading more. One of the problems that I struggle with; is when our throwers get into the season and we will have 2 - 3 meets a week it is hard to juggle their time to practice, lift, and compete, and keep the fresh. I am never to old or proud to learn form others. Thank you for your support, Bob
Old 06-09-2010, 02:28 AM   #7
David Meverden

Profile:

2-3 meets a WEEK? How do you end up having 2 or 3 competitions a week for your throwers?

If you have that many I would think that you'd have to make some hard choices and decide to just not to rest up for some of those meets. Maybe it would be better to lift and go to a meet on the same day--and do poorly at that meet--so that you keep improving for the most important meets.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:36 PM   #8
Ken Weber

Profile:

I would have to agree with Jamie; although CrossFit would certainly improve the overall fitness of your throwers, I would suggest one of the aforementioned sites for specific transfer to throwing if competitive performance is your primary concern.

I might also check out the various articles and programming of Dan John. He has many articles concerning training for throwers and I believe he is a throwing coach himself. His website is http://danjohn.net/. I'm not sure how into CrossFit he is but I know he's a legendary strength coach in his own right.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #9
Chris Mason

Profile:

Throwers have to be brutally strong and explosive. CF proper does not FOCUS on either. What you could do is take some of the modalities CF has brought into the fold such as Louie Simmons' Westside training and use that to make your athletes better.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:58 PM   #10
Peter Queen

Profile:

Just to throw my 2c in here since this issue hits close to home, I would have to disagree to a point about CF not directly benefitting throwers. I have 2 daughters that are on their high school track team and they both throw discus and shot. One of them even made it to and placed in the state championship last weekend. I have been working with them on the side in the area of strength and conditioning in their spare time. I have also been advising some of the other throwers as well. The main source of my references has been the CF workouts, specifically Dumbbell Split Lifts and Dumbbell Thrusters. My reasons for pointing these out were because I felt that these exercises are excellent for strengthening, conditioning, agility, coordination, and balancing of the primary muscle groups needed during the shot put and discus activities. They also enhance your fast twitch muscle responses needed during the sudden release of the shot and discus as well, which prevents muscle tightness and or pulls.
I even showed them a few CF videos to further better explain the movements: (w/f safe)

Dumbbell Split Lifts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuIPZk9u68o
I would focus more on the Single Arm Split Snatch routine because that is the one that is more indicative to the ROM (Range of Motion) that you will be going through when doing the shot put because it incorporates the muscle groups needed that mimics more closely the tossing maneuver. All in all the other forms are excellent as well for full body conditioning and I am not discouraging them but only do those if you have time.

Dumbbell Thrusters:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As-SZSVmhqs

Basically, CF is what you make of it. I am not saying that it is “The Be All - End All” to all areas of fitness, but a lot of the exercises do have specific applicable benefits. It’s all a matter of perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Throwers have to be brutally strong and explosive. CF proper does not FOCUS on either. What you could do is take some of the modalities CF has brought into the fold such as Louie Simmons' Westside training and use that to make your athletes better.
Chris, brutal strength is relative and not necessarily the only component needed. My daughters are naturally strong because they are also bases(the ones that hold up and toss the other girls) in cheerleading so a lot of that strength has directly transfered over into their track season. However, they still have been beaten (on occassion) by girls who can't even do a single push up. It's also all about technique.

Again, these are just my opinions but opinions based on tried and true observations and applications.