CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-03-2010, 10:12 AM   #1
Tina Dobson

Profile:
Gluten Free returning CF

I began crossfit about a year ago but didn't really get serious into it and then stopped due to time and health constraints. I have been cleaning up my diet and startingt back at some bodyweigh WODs, but discovered very recently I needed to go gluten-free for health reasons.

Are there many (or any) current GF or Celiac Cf'ers? I did a search and found quite a few older posts but nothing recent. I am overwhelmed, to say the least, but after less than a week, I am a believer. I am in the process of trying to figure out what formerly-healthy foods I can and can't have.

Anyone have to (or choose to) make the change successfully?
Old 04-03-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
Matthew Reilly

Profile:
Re: Gluten Free returning CF

I do strict Paleo (no grains, legumes, dairy, etc). I'm not Celiac, however I have found that my body runs much better when I remove neolithic foods.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Read Robb Wolf's blog (type his name into google) ... can't link to it from here.

A huge amount of info about CFing while eating no grains.

I am a gluten free CFer and do very well with it. Anyone here claiming to be "paleo" is also eating a gluten free diet. MANY of us are doing quite well.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
Jason Peacock

Profile:

Ditto what Justin said - anyone doing Paleo is gluten-free. And that's a lot of us. Many people experience better fitness/leaner bods as a result
Old 04-04-2010, 07:52 AM   #5
Ellen Sample

Profile:

Tina,
I've been doing CF for about 2 years now. Last August I was diagnosed with Celiac, have been gluten free since then. Went mostly whole hog, the Robb Wolf recommended Autoimmune diet since Jan. (aka, no grains, legumes, dairy, eggs). There's alot of good reading out there, whether alot of it is true or not, I don't know, but I went this route, because I figure it can't hurt, and I already have 3 autoimmune diseases.

Personally, I don't think it's that bad - if you focus on what you can have as opposed to what you may be missing. For instance, my usual breakfast is awesome. You can't go wrong with steak, a couple slices of bacon and avocado! Maybe throw some fruit on the side and the toast/bagel/cereal/oatmeal, etc. will never be missed.

It can be a bit trying mentally at times, because, at least for me, overall bodyweight results come exceedingly slowly. But they are there, and since January, when I went whole hog, despite the lbs not flying off, there
has been a pretty significant body recomposition shift.

Personally, I'm really glad I went this route and didn't just substitute in my normal food for gluten free. It may be more difficult at first, but the couple things I've tried, haven't been fabulous. I'd rather eat good stuff then sub-par substitutes.

Hang in there, you can do this and you'll be better for it.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:37 AM   #6
Tina Dobson

Profile:

Thanks Ellen! I agree, GF food is disgusting. From the burgers to the desserts, I have thought it all was gross. Since I cook, I figure that is the route I'll take. In my case I didn't test positive for Celiac's (although I never had the biopsy, and apparently a lot of people test negative in the blood test, but end up having the biopsy confirm the diagnosis) but chose my doctor's alternative of trying the gluten free diet. I am also trying to cut my dairy, although I am not going dairy free. I am so glad to find out there are lots of athletic people here who are GF. So many of the sites I've found online are passionate about GF but don't focus much on working out, or if they do it's like "I do 30 minutes of cardio 3 days a week". LOL! I am so glad I came back to GF and this site!
Old 04-04-2010, 12:29 PM   #7
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

I feel great since starting paleo. Eating grains does not sit well with my intestines. I have much more energy throughout the day without eating them, anyway. Now that I've cut them out, I can't see any reason someone would want to eat them. Though, sometimes, I do wish I could eat bread just to make a quick sandwich. =[
Old 04-04-2010, 04:21 PM   #8
Tina Dobson

Profile:

I had to go to FIVE grocery stores to find a soft white CORN tortilla that was bigger than the size of the bottom of a soda can and I live in a major metroplitan area! It's crazy. I have tasted the rice pasta and I am really ok on that. I don't eat that much pasta, weaned myself years ago. And since I can substitute a a white corn soft tortilla for flour, I am ok on that. However I am German and was raised on heavy breads. I will definitely miss those (don't get me started on German beer, LOL)! Supposedly there are some heavier European breadsI can still have.

The dairy is going to be harder. I know I will never be able to go completely off, but I am taking it down to a bare minimum.

I'm glad it's really working for you!
Old 04-04-2010, 10:09 PM   #9
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Read labels carefully. Most corn tortillas--especially the ones in large grocery stores-- actually use a combination of corn flour and wheat flour. If it matters, the best bet may be to learn to make your own.

Katherine
Old 04-05-2010, 09:46 AM   #10
James Chu

Profile:

http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com (WFS) is a great blog that highlights gluten free cooking and provides some recipes that completely gluten free. She's not a CF'er but she creates some very interesting alternatives to dishes you probably love but havent tried making gluten free.