CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:34 PM   #3011
Tabitha Gioimo

Profile:
Re: Where's the Girl Power?

Hey ladies! Finally decided to quit lurking on the forum and make a post This thread is great!
Not entirely new to crossfit...Dove head first into it a few months back and burnt myself out in 2 months I am super excited to be starting again tomorrow and look forward to joining in on the girl power!
Old 01-02-2010, 04:46 AM   #3012
Caz Morgan

Profile:

Hi girls. I've been crossfitting for a while but not at an affiliate so not really at the highest level I can be as yet but have stepped up my training in the past 6 months or so. Am looking to step it up this year though and compete in the UK sectionals if so.
My question is, after stepping up my training the past 6 months or so I've noticed a definite increase in the size of my legs and ***. This wouldn't bother me particularly but it's starting to make me a bit out of proportion and i'm finding that my jeans are getting pretty tight around my legs, uncomfortably so. I'm not trying to sound overly vain but has anyone else had this happen? I've read a few posts from guys saying that women should keep at it and get strict with their diet and they'll start to lean out and lose this extra size on their legs (if anything I now weigh less than I did since I started cf proper) but am wondering why my legs are getting so big?! I really enjoy crossfit and pushing myself in fitness but equally I'm very happy with the shape of my body and don't really want to change it massively.
Any thought or comments would be much appreciated!
Happy new year to you all
xx
Old 01-02-2010, 07:32 AM   #3013
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Because you're gettting strong?
Strength will carry you further in competition than low bodyfat.
I've been trying to get that "low bodyfat" for a few years now. Just finally realized that what I really wanted was more visible lean mass. Now I'm eating more and lifting heavy and boy am I HAPPY with what is happening! My abs are starting to show again. I think I was dieting my muscle away.
I'd think if you start to lose the extra size on your legs that it would be a bad thing from here on out.. that's muscle!
Old 01-02-2010, 11:14 AM   #3014
Kristi Folowell

Profile:

Caz,

I agree with Camille. It is muscle that you didn't have before. If you flex your leg and it is solid that is not a bad thing. If there is some extra padding on top of the muscle then really focus on cleaning up your diet (you should do that anyway as it will help performance). That will get rid of the excess fat and lean your legs down some. Each person's body is built and will respond differently to CF. I am from a family with naturally larger rears and thighs, whereas I have a friend that has smaller thighs and rear despite being able to go heavy with weight. That being said she mentioned that her thighs and rear did get bigger after starting CF, but that they do look better. Focus some more on the upper body exercises if you feel you are becoming unbalanced. Do more presses, pullups, dips, jerks, etc with heavy weight. With CF your body is going to change as it adapts to be more fit and healthy. If you intend to get really into CF and competing then it will adapt even more. Best thing I can offer is to focus on your performance and overall health and to not focus so much on size, that and buy some jeans that are loser in the thigh and either figure out how to tailor or find a good one. I say the tailor thing because the majority of jeans are cut assuming that your thighs, hips, and waist are the same size. So to get them to fit in the thigh they will be a bit big in the waist, a tailor can fix this problem. Also Joe's Jeans makes some jeans for women with curves that are very flattering and work well with larger thigh muscles. You can find those online or at Macy's I think or Dillards. Hope that helps. Best of luck in your training!! Any other questions feel free to ask.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #3015
Suzanne Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia Seip View Post
Wow ladies, everyone is making great strides!! It is so fun to read this thread. Brenda, I have no doubt that you will bounce back great with the attitude you have!!

Tamara, I had 6 rings dips before I hurt my shoulder, and I couldn't do any, so at the rate you're making gains, you'll be pumping them out before you know it.

I have to read this stuff to stay motivated, or I'll just be depressed. I need to work at the things I can do and quit complaining about what I can't do.
Right here with you Patricia. I have been feeling a little depressed as well. Reaching out to close the car door still hurts, so I don't dare push anything yet. Was at the gym today and they are putting up some high bars to rig our rings from for muscle ups- it gets under my skin knowing I can't even try to get on the rings now. Patience is a virtue I guess.........

Welcome to the new ladies, Tabitha and Caz
Old 01-05-2010, 06:15 AM   #3016
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi Folowell View Post
Each person's body is built and will respond differently to CF.
^^^THIS^^^

I've accepted that I am going to be the lean "skinnier" looking body type. It really ticks me off when people say that I'm "too skinny." I'm 5'8 and I weigh 138 lbs. I look athletic, not skinny. In the last few weeks I've had two random people ask me what my waist size is and what my body fat percentage is. Seriously? I have no freaking idea, and who just walks up to someone and asks that (well, besides other CrossFitters, haha)?

Look at the videos from the 2009 Games and compare body types - Jocelyn Forest, Sarah Dunsmore, Gillian Mounsey, Carey Kepler, Jenni Orr - right there you have 5 drastically different body types on 5 amazing athletes.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:10 AM   #3017
Liz Stanley

Profile:

Yesterday went to my first official WOD at the affiliate I joined. It was a lot of fun, and I felt I put in a pretty respectable effort for my first time. Tonight is the barbell club and I'm really looking forward to it, especially that I'll get to lift with some other women finally!

And also, I went to the doctor today for an annual checkup and apparently I've grown another 1/4 inch since last year (gained 1/2 inch at last year's checkup.) So they're now listing me as 5'6". 41 years old and still growing, woohoo!
Old 01-05-2010, 11:04 AM   #3018
Tina Dobson

Profile:

First off, you are muscular, not skinny! You have a total hourglass! Beyond that, it always blows me away how rude complete strangers will be. Especially when it has to do with being "thin" or "skinny". It's no more ok to make those comments to someone who is thinner than it is to make the reverse type comment to someone who is obese!
Old 01-05-2010, 11:36 AM   #3019
Diane Mahoney

Profile:

I think you look great Tamara!

Caz, I have big limbs and big muscles. The more explosive movements and sprints will help keep your size down so learn to love those. And they all burn fat too, assuming you have some to burn. I sure do.

I did Body for Life a couple years ago, and my big legs got quite a bit smaller as the fat melted off (but they were never thin).
Old 01-11-2010, 07:45 AM   #3020
Liz Stanley

Profile:

We had our first CrossFit Total today and it was so cool to be lifting around other women. Just don't get that at the Globo gym. I dead lifted 100# over my body weight and I was very excited about that! My total score was 465 (squat 155, press 85, deadlift 225) which puts me in the advanced category for my weight (125). Super cool, makes me want to set my sights for 500!

One thing I'm really, really enjoying is the whole accountability and competitive part of it. I've always loved testing myself and seeing how I measure up with others. Nothing motivates me more than seeing how much better I can do than last time!